Class to be dropped at Highland Speedway!

Shaw18 Racing

St. Jacob Glass
I'm hearing lots of rumors about the Hornet class. I hope the Fair Board takes into consideration that this class is the one and only affordable option. Also, the class that has produced many of the guys that are now in the upper classes. These are just a few of the many reasons the 4-cyl class is good for the future of Highland Speedway!

Please give me your thoughts on this guys. The current drivers will not be around forever... Like the class or not, this is the best avenue for our next generation driver!

Rob Shaw

This is a great class for beginners. You should keep this class cause it always produces alot of cars every night.This would be a ridiculous idea to get rid of this class.

I to will be dissapointed with the hornets gone! I mean with 5 good classes when will I go to the bathroom and concession stands? I'm also going to disagree with the good learnig class? Tell me how a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car teaches you how to drive a REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR? The only thing you learn in a hornet class is how the helmet feels (like it or not alot of the "upper" class guys have told me that). As far as producing alot of cars every night I seem to remember only having 13-14 cars at best most nights. Yes I know the other classes only had that many to on a given night but thats just signs of the times. If I'm going to only watch 13-14 cars its gonna be something fast! GREAT IDEA HIGHLAND!!!!!!

I almost forgot if your calling it a learning class there should be a restriction on how many years you can run! I'm not naming names but if your going to use the learning excuse there should not be "professional" drivers that have been in this class since in started! 2 years tops and move on!

Here are some guys from the 2012 season in the upper classes that either came from the Hornet class or have driven them at one time or another..

Jason Zobrist
Matt Weidner
John Cory
Bobby Martintoni
Kerry Gaultney
Mark Voigt
Jordan Bauer
Billy Knebel, Jr
Travis Horner
Jim Moon
Jason Suhre
Jordan Suhre
Jeff Buss
Mike Harrison
Marty Smith, Jr
Robbie Eilers
Cale Hartnagel
Brett Eilerman
Justin Hall
Steven Gorka, Jr
Mark Oller
Aaron Heck
Jeff Nash
Kyle McMahon
Daniel Heck
Rob Lee
Caleb Lintezenich
Ryan Timmons
Mike Bourland
Austin Isaak
T J Eilers
Trevor Isaak
Wade Carson
Ryan Emig
Jeremy Izard
Brian Handegan
Dale Bohnenstiehl
Michael Bolyard
Shaun Horstmann

I came from that class. Raced for 4 years in the class. What it does, it takes the fear out of you. It teaches you to run a smooth line to keep momentum up. Thats what the class is about. There is alot to be learned in the class. I think it is harder to drive a hornet than a set-up rear wheel drive. There are plain time when you have to get up on the wheel and drive a rear wheel drive, but most of the time it just comes easy to be honest. Hornets are a hand full every night. If you never been in one, dont bad mouth the class. I think it was a great class to learn in. There has been about about 3 or 4 different different guys who have won a National Championship in a rear wheel drive class that cam from the Hornet division at Highland. Russel Eilers, Sportman Rob Lee, Limited Mods Jon Ripperda, Sportsman And I mite be missing a another. and Hornet National champs from Highland there were 3 and i mite be missing 1 there also. Ryan Eilers, Rob Shaw, Bob Zbinden. Not bad numbers to me for being a so-called crap class. The reason the numbers have dropped is cause the track is 1 groove for them the last 3 years.

Yes Rip you are 100% correct on taking the fear out and teaching a smooth line I'll give ya that but theres about 5 guys on that list that Rob made who I've talked to about it and have made the comments to me that I've posted. In the end though it is made to be a beginner class which it has gotten away from and from what I've heard the track is looking to get down to 4 regular classes a night and having 2 different ones rotate from week to week for 5 total. Might be suprised what other class may go! From a business decision as well as a spectators decision I think its a good move.

I had also heard this, along with the crates being dropped at Highland Speedway. I have tried several times to contact Mr. Kuhn about it but have never received a answer. I know of some driver already moving up to the crates and other interested but seem to be holding off til a answer is finally given. Any information from Highland Speedway on either of these classes being dropped would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chad Schuster

The last sentence says it all..JMO!...;)
I came from that class. Raced for 4 years in the class. What it does, it takes the fear out of you. It teaches you to run a smooth line to keep momentum up. Thats what the class is about. There is alot to be learned in the class. I think it is harder to drive a hornet than a set-up rear wheel drive. There are plain time when you have to get up on the wheel and drive a rear wheel drive, but most of the time it just comes easy to be honest. Hornets are a hand full every night. If you never been in one, dont bad mouth the class. I think it was a great class to learn in. There has been about about 3 or 4 different different guys who have won a National Championship in a rear wheel drive class that cam from the Hornet division at Highland. Russel Eilers, Sportman Rob Lee, Limited Mods Jon Ripperda, Sportsman And I mite be missing a another. and Hornet National champs from Highland there were 3 and i mite be missing 1 there also. Ryan Eilers, Rob Shaw, Bob Zbinden. Not bad numbers to me for being a so-called crap class. The reason the numbers have dropped is cause the track is 1 groove for them the last 3 years.

For starters the 4-cyl class can teach a new driver mechanical, and maintenance skills. As they advance they learn wheel alignment angles such as camber, caster, toe, and the understanding of how these settings work. Driving one will give you a since of how good angles can help momentum, and how momentum promotes speed.

For starters the 4-cyl class can teach a new driver mechanical, and maintenance skills. As they advance they learn wheel alignment angles such as camber, caster, toe, and the understanding of how these settings work. Driving one will give you a since of how good angles can help momentum, and how momentum promotes speed.
This is alot of what has hurt this class also, the guys trying to make it a profession working on the cars. They are suppossed to be stock but guys mess with all the stuff you mentioned and it leads to more money.

This is alot of what has hurt this class also, the guys trying to make it a profession working on the cars. They are suppossed to be stock but guys mess with all the stuff you mentioned and it leads to more money.
These are all factory adjustments and cost nothing....

Don't get me wrong here, I totally agree that something needs to be done. 6 classes is just to darn many, much less 7 with kidz modz. I talk with alot of people who used to go alot to the races and most of the time they say they do not go anymore cause of the time it takes to get a show in. Plus you got to remember, alot of them go to church in the mornings and have to get the kids home. I remember always going to the pits when i was little to visit with my favorite drivers. You just dont see that anymore. The whole reason I have not decided to run a B-mod this year is because of the track conditions. Have a pick of 2 different cars to build and run. I will race their again when they can prove they can make the tack racy again.

Scott get your head out your azz...you done let the sportsmans go and made a dare lick class with the b mods!!! These guys are the ones that bring in a lot of fans. I can think of 3 or 4 teams that got 10 to 15 people in the stands every week !!! I'm sorry I hate seeing classes dropped but if I was dropping classes it be them B Mods Jmo

this would be the worst economic decision the track could make. the hornet class is a 100% moneymaker for them.

get rid of crates, bmods and kidmods.

make racers build a car for a couple classes, not build a class for a couple cars

There are a lot of rumors flying around out there and for the record, we have not finalized our decisions on any of the classes yet. We have been discussing and looking into our options for the 2013 season. The goal of Highland Speedway is to bring exciting racing action to the fans and competitors. We will make announcements regarding the 2013 season as soon as all the decisions have been finalized.

We are currently working on finalizing everything for the banquet and working on starting the renovations to the track. We have a lot of things planned for the off season and improving the track. We are looking forward to the next season and want to bring exciting racing action for all of you.

Thanks!!!

Back