Crankshaft problems(Please help!!!)

SSstocker

I am putting a steel crank into a 350, .40 over block.

My problem is that the counter weight is hitting the bottom of piston.

Could the conn. rod be bent?

Please help, I'm about to go nuts!!!!!!!!!!

crank

need to know what size rods are in it and the compression hieght of the piston cause that determines how long the skirt is.also the stroke of the crank seems to be longer.

crank

do you have a 400 rod mixed in , does the piston even come up to the top of the deck, 327 pistons are 4.00 bore but have a wrist pin located different then a 350 piston

Crank Clearance

Is it barely hitting or locking the crank up? If it is a new crank, a cheaper one, you might have to grind or clearance the counterweights to clear the pistons. Then you have to think about the balance numbers..First, do like the other guys said and make sure your combination is right..right rods..right stroke, piston comp. height, etc..Good Luck

Thanks for all replies!

The crank locks up when trying to rotate.
I checked tonight,& it looks like the rods are a little short compared to 350 rods from other motor.

My next step, i guess is to have machine shop do some measuring.

once again, THANKS

I found my problem, the rods were to short.
I put a piston & rod from another motor in(i know its a 350).

It cleared with no problems:D

Now I have to find money & a inexpensive machine shop to switch rods to .40 over pistons.

Does anybody know of good shop thats cheap?
would be interested in putting name on my car for next year!
Will also take another motor there to be redone this winter.

Thanks for any help!

NPT Machine Shop in Belleville, Illinois has taken care of me really well lately. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. He is a good guy to deal with. Hope he can help you out.

Tom

NPT Machine Shop- 618-233-1344. Ask for Bobby

Tell him Tom Smallwood recommeded him to you.

Back