Davenport Victorious in $12,000 To Win Ultimate SLMS "Scorcher" at The Gap

FastrakRacingPR

Davenport Victorious in $12,000 To Win Ultimate SLMS “Scorcher” at The Gap

BULLS GAP, Tenn. (Aug. 18) – Taking the lead on lap 21 of 50 after contact with Scott Bloomquist sent the leader spinning on the frontstretch, Jonathan Davenport of Blairsville, Ga., held off late-race challenges from Jimmy Owens to capture a $12,000 Ultimate Super Late Model Series victory in Volunteer Speedway’s Scorcher.

Starting on the pole, Bloomquist of nearby Mooresburg, Tenn., charged to the front of the field at the drop of the green flag, stretching his lead in the early running. As the race leaders approached lapped traffic, Davenport began reeling in Bloomquist, challenging for the lead just a few laps shy of the halfway mark. Racing side-by-side in to turn three, the pair made contact exiting turn four, with the race leader spinning to draw a caution.

As Bloomquist returned at the rear of the field, Davenport inherited the race lead, fighting back challenges from a charging Owens of Newport, Tenn., in the final laps. He went on to notch his seventh career Ultimate Series victory, the first of the 2016 season.

“That was a hell of a race there,” Davenport said in victory lane. “I really don’t know what happened to Scott (Bloomquist) there. We rubbed a little bit and I don’t know if it knocked the wheel out of his hand or whatever, but it’s like he turned more left. I wasn’t going more right, so I really don’t know what happened there. It was real hard to pass, especially with lapped cars and stuff.”

Davenport’s victory came behind the wheel of Randy Weaver’s No. 116 Longhorn car. The defending Lucas Oil Series Champion has filled in for the Tennessee driver on multiple occasions, as he continues to recover from an April rollover incident.

“It’s just a great pleasure getting to run this great equipment like he’s got,” Davenport said. “It’s pretty much like my No. 6 car, it’s still a Longhorn. But they kind of do their own little thing. It’s been a great piece. We just want to see Randy (Weaver) get better and get back in the seat.”
Owens held on to finish runner-up, with Bloomquist rallying from the tail of the field to notch a podium finish. Donald McIntosh of Dawsonville, Ga., ran fourth, with Chad Ogle of Sevierville, Tenn., rounding out the top five.

“We had a pretty good hot rod tonight,” Owens said. “The crew’s worked their tail off the last few days. It was a rough night and I’m glad to come home with a second.”
While Bloomquist was somewhat disappointed with the way the race unfolded, he said he was pleased to come away with a third-place finish.

“Lapped traffic was a little bit tough,” Bloomquist said. “Getting to them first, we were trying to move around. And everybody saw the rest. But the car was good. It didn’t really destroy the car. It wasn’t as good as before, but I managed to get back to third. So I consider that decent.”

1. Jonathan Davenport – Blairsville, GA
2. Jimmy Owens – Newport, TN
3. Scott Bloomquist – Mooresburg, TN
4. Donald McIntosh – Maryville, TN
5. Chad Ogle – Seiverville, TN
6. Jeff Wolfenbarger – Clinton, TN
7. Billy Ogle Jr. – Knoxville, TN
8. Jimmy McNamara – Mooresville, NC
9. Ryan King – Seymour, TN
10. Derek Fisher – Olympia, KY
11. Vic Hill – Morristown, TN
12. Jeremy Hines – Seymour, IN
13. Glenn Elliott – Sykesville, MD
14. Ricky Weiss – Winnipeg, Canada
15. Shannon Buckingham – Morristown, TN
16. Dennis Franklin – Gaffney, SC
17. Brian Ligon – Augusta, GA
18. Chad White – Stevensville, MI
19. Mark Vineyard – Powell, TN
20. Dale McDowell – Chickamauga, GA
21. Kenny Collins – Colbert, GA
22. Chris Madden – Gaffney, SC
From Dirt on Dirt

Partners of ULTIMATE & Ultimate “Battle of the Bluegrass” Super Late Model Series; Hoosier Racing Tires, Hoosier Racing Tires, VP Racing Fuels, AR Bodies

Visit our website at www.fastrakracing.com and click on Ultimate or Ultimate “Battle of The Bluegrass” logo

Back