Details on PhotoBilly accident in IOWA

Racerrod

racerrod
First of all let me say this has been the hardest week of my life. I have been on the phone, the internet, or crying for about a week solid! After getting so many emails, texts, and questions as to which I can not keep up with, I decided to give a brief description here. I DO NOT want any misinformation and rumors floating around about my cousins death. Many of Billys and Tony's friends deserve to know something, rather than nothing or hear say. This is a senseless accident we all can learn from.

We are very thankful that Robert (Sonny) survived this horrible accident and will recover from his injuries and we are so sorry for the loss of Tony and I hear he was a very special man and huge race fan as well. After being released from the hospital, one of the first things Robert did was visit Billy's mother and return some belongings. It took a lot of strength to be able to do this and we certainly commend Robert for his courage and love to our family. This was a huge act of kindness and has meant a lot to Billy's mother! Our prayers continue to go to Tony's family and to Robert as he recovers from his injuries.

Naturally there is still an ongoing investigation in Iowa as to why a loaded 18 wheeler doesn't see a limping vehicle with his emergency flashers on at a 4 lane interstate highway (2 lanes each way) in the right lane trying to exit and get help with a low tire. Some of this is from the police report that is available to everyone online and some is from the Iowa state trooper in charge of the crash scene.

Roberts car was traveling an estimated 30 miles per hour when it was struck by the loaded 2012 Peterbilt in the right lane doing between 65-70. The car was shoved into the right side ditch and spun through a road sign and came to rest. The driver of the truck then went to the next exit and double back because he could not back down the highway to the scene. He called for help and was very shaken. He said he did not even see the vehicle before he hit them. His cell phone records show no recent activity and no drugs or alcohol were found.

So that leaves the conclusion that he either dozed or was distracted by something and we may never know that. In an instant two awesome race fans were gone, my cousin Billy Haffer and his friend Tony Pemberthy. Iowa state police report states that all 3 men were not wearing seat belts and officer Spencer said it probably would not have made any difference. I know my cousin would want others to learn how to avoid such an accident and warn others to be more careful. Officer Spencer said this type of accident should never happen on a straight and flat area of the interstate.

It's still a bad dream to me and the only reason I am posting this is to hopefully remind us all to pay more attention when we are driving. We don't need anymore senseless deaths and hopefully the reality of what happened will help others use more caution when we are driving or when we are near loaded semi's.

Again thanks to all who have prayed and showed support for our lost racing friends and our families. It's been a rough racing season we won't soon forget.

~ Rod Haffer
Cousin and best friend of Photo Billy Haffer

Thanks for sharing that. It certainly helps others understand what happened. Billy was a great man and will be missed by many. Over the last several years I ran into him in the pits at tracks all across the midwest and he always made a point to talk to me and was always upbeat. I know it has to be tough on you and rest of the family, but be aware Billy made our world a better place. There are a lot of people that could, and hopefully did, learn a lot from Billy. He knew how to live and enjoy life and treat all people with love and respect.

RIP Photobilly !!!!

It numbs the mind to think something like this could happen since it sounded clearly avoidable. Rod, we are thinking of you and your entire family.

Mike Harris

RIP,Billy and Tony..What kind of "Truck Driver" can't pull over and back his rig down the right shoulder??? That's my rant,Thank You...:0

RIP,Billy and Tony..What kind of "Truck Driver" can't pull over and back his rig down the right shoulder??? That's my rant,Thank You...:0

one that was scared beyond anything we could ever imagine. and one that knew it was dangerous to be backing up on a highway.

Racerrod - I hope all three families hire a good attorney and go after this trucking company. Seems to me you have a pretty good case and not that it will bring your love ones
back but maybe help heal the pain of the saviors especially Danielle. May god bless your family's through these hard times.

I can't count how many times I have seen Werner drivers not paying attention when driving. Some even pass through Coulterville on a school day talking on their phones. O really hope someone sticks it to this company and that the company hires competent drivers in the future.

Yes attorney has been hired but it could be years of red tape before anything is proven. The legal system is so slow. I know billy had no insurance or benefits and relied only on racing photography for his income. His funeral wasn't cheap due to transporting body from Iowa. Our first goal as a family is to deal with life without billy. Thanks to all who gave billy a joyous life. He meant so much to me personally in my life. Being a huge race fan (and former racer) billy and I shared so much racing history together. There is a big void in my life and I've even considered taking over his job at belleville on Friday nights. I've always loved photography too and know many of the racers. Might be a great way to learn more about my cousins life and help me heal. He was so much fun! God bless all the racers, fans and tracks for their unbelievable generosity!! Our family is so proud!!

Rod Haffer

Back