Dills Continues Improvement After Tackling Marvin Smith Memorial

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. (June 5, 2014) - After testing himself against some of the top 360 sprint car drivers in the Northwest last weekend, Patrick Dills is excited to take his gained experience into this Saturday's Northwest Extreme Sprints event at Cottage Grove Speedway.
"I feel like I can go out there and compete for at least a top three," he said.
Down on horsepower, Dills tackled the inaugural Marvin Smith Memorial at Cottage Grove Speedway last Saturday in his Northwest Extreme Sprint. He opened the event - which honored former track champion and community standout Marvin Smith, who passed away last year - by qualifying 19[sup]th[/sup] quickest.
"I was the fastest (Northwest Extreme Sprint) and I outqualified some 360s," he said. "My best qualifying time before this weekend was a 12.8 and my best time this weekend was a 12.0."
After shaving nearly a second off his qualifying effort, Dills lined up on the outside of the front row of his heat race.
"I pretty much lost all the positions going into the first corner," he said. "I blew the top and they all got by me."
Dills was relegated to the B Main after finishing seventh in his heat race.
"The top was really hairy," he said. "The top and the bottom were real even. You were on a fine line running the top or you had to be putt-putting around the bottom. I was searching around, trying to get good laps."
Dills placed 10[sup]th[/sup] in the consolation race to miss transferring into the feature. Although it was the first main event he didn't make this season, Dills gained confidence going into this Saturday.
"We have the setup down pretty good now for hot laps and qualifying," he said. "Now we're working on finding the traction so we've been taking it small steps at a time."
Dills was also part of a unique field trip for a local Cottage Grove elementary school on Thursday, when he hot lapped and signed autographs for the children.
"It was a great afternoon," he said. "I think I signed 400 autographs. It was awesome to see the kids get so excited."
QUICK RESULTS -
May 31 - Cottage Grove Speedway in Cottage Grove, Ore. - Qualifying: 19; Heat race: 7 (2); B Main: 10 (7).
SEASON STATS -
6 races, 0 wins, 1 top five, 4 top 10s, 4 top 15s, 5 top 20s
UP NEXT -
Saturday at Cottage Grove Speedway in Cottage Grove, Ore.
MEDIA LINKS -
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patrick-Dills-Racing/236840896439816?ref=br_tf
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PatrickDills90
SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - All Seasons Equipment
Located in Eugene, Ore., All Seasons Equipment is an authorized source for Mahindra Tractors, Stihl, Husqvarna, Oregon and Exmark outdoor power equipment. For more information, visit http://www.AllSeasonsEquipment.net.
"All Seasons Equipment has helped us through the outlaw kart years and they stepped up a lot this year," Dills said. "They are really supportive of me and my racing. It's really appreciated."
Dills would also like to thank Jerry Dills Trucking, BC Motorsports, Weeman's Small Engine Repair, Keith Whitaker Trucking, Steel House, Bonnichsen Repair, Rocket Designs and Inside Line Promotions for their continued support.

Back