Driver in critical condition after crash rips his car apart at Volusia Speedway!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By GODWIN KELLY
Motorsports Editor

DAYTONA BEACH -- Mike Corcoran had no pulse and was not breathing when Volusia Speedway Park emergency crew members came to the race driver's aid after a horrifying accident Saturday night at the half-mile dirt oval.

"He was laying there, in the track, no helmet, blood was pooling," said an infield eyewitness, who asked not to be identified. "I was watching his feet. They never moved."

Corcoran, a weekend racer from Holly Hill, was listed in critical condition at Halifax Medical Center on Monday night.

In what veteran race fans and competitors described as the most disturbing racing accident they have ever seen, Corcoran was ejected from his Pure Stock race car after a violent blow to the undercarriage of his car from another competitor.

According to various accounts, including a Volusia County Sheriff's incident report, Corcoran's racer went sideways off of Turn 4, barrel-rolled several times and came to rest on its roof.

Another race car slammed into Corcoran's racer, standing it up sideways on the passenger side, its underside exposed broadside to oncoming traffic.

Seconds later, a second, more powerful blow from another competitor gouged the roll cage from the car while ejecting Corcoran from the cockpit.

It was a hit so brutal, it knocked the helmet off the 38-year-old driver.

Corcoran's No. 92 race car was shattered, parts strewn across the front stretch.

"It shot the roll cage, seat and driver out of the car, with the roof attached," said the infield witness, a mechanic for a visiting race team.

Emergency personnel immediately worked to revive Corcoran, who witnesses said lost blood from a gash to the head. The sheriff's report said the injured driver "did not have a pulse and was not breathing."

EVAC soon joined the fight to save Corcoran's life. He was taken by helicopter to Halifax for treatment.

"They worked on him quite a while before they got him into the chopper," said the infield witness.

The Pure Stock division is an entry-level racing class featuring older model, four-cylinder street cars modified with basic safety equipment such as a simple roll cage.

Corcoran's racer was described as a small passenger car with "unibody" construction, a vehicle designed with little steel safety railing.

The accident happened on the last lap of the last race of Saturday night's racing program before several hundred spectators and competitors.

"You see guys crash out here, their cars come apart and they walk away," said a female witness, who watched the accident unfold from the grandstands near the start-finish line. "Not this time."

A VSP spokeswoman said all cards and other well-wish items for Corcoran and his family should be sent to Halifax.

I thought tracks like TCS & I-55 were big tracks for Hornet type cars, I can't image seeing them on that big 1/2 mile track there.

I always thought something like that would happen since the cars have a unibody construcion design. Nothing realy to hold the roll cage like a full steal frame to weld too. Our prayers and best wishes go out to them and all in need at a time like this.

I thought tracks like TCS & I-55 were big tracks for Hornet type cars, I can't image seeing them on that big 1/2 mile track there.

I was thinking the same thing. That has to be the one of the worst wrecks I have ever heard tell of. The details kinda made me sick.

king

I was thinking the same thing. That has to be the one of the worst wrecks I have ever heard tell of. The details kinda made me sick.

king

Now that I WILL agree with, king. Jimmy, please keep up posted on this. Have you heard any thing more as of yet?

Sad to hear

i know how fast the mini stocks and pro 4's run on 1/4 and 3/8s mile tracks much less running on a half. the pro 4s and minis i have built or helped build i have always run 2x3 box tubing under the seat and along from downpipe to downpipe for the cage to mount to and weld it solidly to the floor pan. it strengthens the car more and since it is a unibody, the 2x3 box tubing gives it kind of a frame to it. ask lane ehlert about the cage i made for him and how well it held up after he went over the wall at MCS. If possible JimmyD keep us updated on the driver.

My brother and I build race cars"street stock" and a few hornets...But after reading this I believe we will quit doing Hornets...Bad deal..This could happen at Tri City as well,,they get going pretty good there. The profit made on these Hornets are not worth any ones life. Rodney Deal,,Night Hawk Race Cars.

Absolutely terrible! This is one of my biggest concerns when I see a delayed caution or drivers that miss seeing the flag or the lights. A lot of time it's not the initial incident that causes the biggest problem, rather the secondary impacts that kill. I'm so glad that I-55 installed those new LED caution and green lights in the turns. They're very bright and large enough to catch attention. I know that's not always enough to prevent things like this, but it's definetly a step in the right direction. God bless the injured driver.

First i would like to thank you all for the great thoughts for Mike on his behalf.I am a verry close freind of Mikes and will be going to see what all i can do for him and his tomorrow.I just found out about this today as i am a over the road truck driver and just got home.once again thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.i will keep you all updated on mikes condition.
Bob

Got this off Volusia's website just now....

Mike Corcoran Update 9-11 On this day when we remember all those affected by the 9-11 events in New York City and other locations, we are pleased to share that while Mike Corcoran, driver of the #92 4-Cyl Stock car, remains in critical condition at Halifax Medical Center, his family is reporting that all his vitals have stabilized and each day there is improvement. Please include Mike in your thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery. You may address cards and letters for well wishes to Mike's attention at Volusia Speedway, 1500 E SR 40, DeLeon Springs, FL 32130 and we will see to it they are delivered to him and his family.

Do you think this might prompt UMP and other sanctioning bodies to overhaul the safety requirements for this class? I hope so.

I would hope so. Nothing between you and the track but a thin piece of sheet metal. I am installing an 11 guage floor pan, and subframe connectors just like the one mentioned earlier by Butch, in the pro-4 Pinto we are building. The same treatment our ministock got when we built it in 2002. There is NO substitue for safety. After all.. We wouldnt want Star to get her butt knocked off..

There are specialized services and experts to consult for each type of car and auto accidents you may have been injured in. While there is a car wreck lawyer to fight for you to claim damages for your car, there are lawyers who specialize in fighting cases for people who got a broken neck or spine due to a car accident.

I'm by far not the moral police being the business I support, but are you serious? Are you advertising on this forum? This man may not make it. Wow, that's, I'm speechless. I hope I'm misunderstanding your post.

Thoughts and Prayers to the driver and the family. I would hate to see the video. Just the story is enough. Get rid of them pro 4's on big tracks and where they do run make sure they are built in a way that Hartman and Little302 described. Hopefully this guy makes a full recovery!

This is terrible to hear. I hope that he pulls through and gets well. I ran Kentucky Lake one time and that was enough for me when I ran hornets yet. Paul Becker pulled my car down there and he knows just how fast we were running there. I think it is a 7/16 mile and 3rd gear in a saturn bouncing off the chip is around 95 mph. The only reason id know is cause i took it down the back roads at the house to test it out. Didnt scare me at the time cause you dont think of what can happen. After the run down the backroad i said never again. Racing is a dangerous sport and this is horrific to here. Thoughts and prayers go to there family. Jon Ripperda

I believe this is the 2nd time this has happen to a driver down there. These cars have no protection to the driver from the underside. This is the main reason y these cars should never be ran on a track bigger the highland

Back