finding gear ratio??

redline karting

i need to figure out how to figure out what gear is in my third memeber.i used to know how to divide the ring gear by the pinion but forgot.how can i figure this out.any help would be appreciated.thnx alot!

hope this helps!!!!!

You can do the following and get a close idea as to what you have. I know there is another way but i don't know how to do that way......

Make a mark at a certain spot on your ring gear and a mark on the yolk of the 3rd member. Turn the yolk of the 3rd member till the mark on the ring gear go around exactly one time. When turning the yolk keep track of how many times it goes around. For example if you turn the yolk about 4 and a half times by the time the ring gear makes a full turn the you have probably 4.56 gears.

I know this is the cheesey easy way of doing it but it will give you a close i dea as to what you got.

If the gears are still in the rearend the do it the same way but make a mark on the tire and on the driveshaft and make one full turn with the tire.

Well hopefully this helps ya out some!

Tom

GEAR

i knew to do that but didnt know if it would get me close.thnx anyway.this gear is in my modified.it turns like 6 and 3/4 times so would this be a 6.50 gear?how big of a track would that gear be good for?should i sale it or use it.i am gonna be runnin small 3/8 mile tracks and tri-city little track.any help would be appreciated.thnx!

if im wrong call me stupid but---

take some chalk and mark a tooth on the ring. count how many teeth.(the mark is so you wont lose count) do the same on the other. then divide the big number by the little number and that should be real close.

like i said i think thats right----but i have made a mistake once or twice before.

try it on some gears that you know the ratio---see if it works

let me know.

Joey,
I don't know what engine you are going to run but a 6.50 is way too low for any 3/8 mile I've ever run on. A 5.29 or 5.43 would probably be alot closer.
The 6.50 may work OK on TCS 1/4 mile but I'd talk to one of those guys for a better idea.
THANX RICH

Joey,
I've got a 5.83 complete has mini spool, and a 6.00 used ring & pinion.
THANX RICH

Back