Hendrick Suspensions Overturend!!

wild1and83fan

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- An appeals committee on Wednesday lifted the suspensions of the crew chiefs for Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch, who were both accused of cheating following a race in Las Vegas.

The National Stock Car Racing Commission rescinded the two-race suspensions NASCAR had levied against Chad Knaus and Alan Gustafson, and instead placed both on 90 days probation.

George Silbermann, chairman of the three-man appeals committee, noted that the decision was by majority vote and was not unanimous.

"This decision pertains specifically to the evidence presented in this appeal," he wrote. "The Commission's rulings do not have a bearing on existing or announced NASCAR enforcement policies."

NASCAR stiffened its penalty process after the March 13 race in Las Vegas, when Johnson's race-winning car and Busch's second-place car both failed inspection. Johnson's was too high and Busch's was too low.

Knaus, crew chief for Johnson, was suspended by NASCAR for two races and fined $35,000. Johnson was also docked 25 points, and Jeff Gordon was docked 25 owner points because he is listed as the car owner.

Gustafson was suspended two weeks and fined $25,000. Busch was docked 25 points, as was car owner Rick Hendrick.

The commission's ruling did not affect the points that were lost

Hendrick on Wednesday maintained that neither crew chief was cheating, and that the cars failed the post-race inspections because of mechanical issues that developed over the 400-mile race.

"I appreciate NASCAR giving us the opportunity to present the facts," said Hendrick. "From our perspective it's important everyone, especially our fans, know that we absolutely had no intention of breaking any rules.

"This sport has a rule book for good reason, and it's vital it be enforced. As an owner, I know it's equally important to have a just forum for teams and a fair system of checks and balances. We respect NASCAR's decision and look forward to carrying some momentum into Bristol."

The commission has yet to hear the appeal for Todd Berrier, crew chief for Kevin Harvick.

Berrier was suspended for four races for illegally rigging Harvick's fuel tank at Las Vegas to appear full during qualifying. Although Richard Childress Racing is appealing the penalty, the team is more concerned with having Berrier's suspension shortened and having the 25 points Harvick was docked reinstated.

RCR maintains that because the infraction was during qualifying, points should not be deducted.

Personally I think that the suspensions where uncalled for. However, when a car comes up light in a dirt race they are disqualified and sent to the bottom of the finishing order. Makes you wonder what would have happened had the #5 and #48 would have had similar penalties.

This crap should not really surprise anyone. Nascar doesn't have the satchel to put quality racing before the almighty dollar. Yeah the finish was great Sun, but what is the real issue here?

Nascar- "We don't want to ruffle anyones feathers now golly shucks. If we suspend Chad K-Nos then the millions of yuppies that crawled out of the woodwork in the last 10 years that don't know sh*t about racing might stop buying Chase Authentics and Jimmie Gordon trailor hitch covers for their suv's."

Before I rag on any further, just let me clear up any misconceptions. I DO NOT like anyone who drives for Rick Hendrick. This includes Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Gordon, and Kyle Busch (who is genetically wired to be an idiot since he comes from the same gene pool as Kurt Busch). This is not because they beat my favorite driver on a regular basis (they usually do) or because I am a sore loser. It is because they drive for a convicted criminal. Yes folks, Rick Hendrick was indicted on federal charges of money laundering, conspiracy, and mail fraud in 1996. He paid off top Honda execs, bought them houses and made the lease payments on their BMW's. Do I need to go on any further? After a year of house arrest and some probation, Slick Willy pardoned Hendrick in 2000.

This pretty much brings us up to date. Now, why would we even suspect that someone of such personal integrity as Rick Hendrick would field an illegal racecar? That is preposterous to even consider right? LMFAO! The 5 car's quarters were too high and the 48's deck lid was too low. Same team, nearly exact opposite infractions? Come on people. Sounds like some race day r & d to me. Then we have to listen to K- Nos give us some nauseating crap about how "...the car was aweful and Jimmie was just hanging on and we are lucky to have him behind the wheel or we wouldn't have finished ... blah blah blah -end scripted soundbite". I wish that when my car was "aweful" it would drive around the whole field like the were standing still. Come on dude?

Yes, racing is all about pushing the gray area to gain an advantage, and I hope it always is. But please, PLEASE, don't get on national television and try to blow a bunch of smoke up my *ss and tell me that you aren't cheating and your driver is so spectacular that he won the race with sheer guts and determination.

I think Carl Edwards disproved that theory on Sunday. Oh yeah, he did it on Saturday too.

The RICH keep gettin RICHER!! MONEY TALKS, dont let any body bull chit ya,, Any body want to buy another honda??

I still think they should receive a large cash award for sneaking stuff past the God Almighty pre-race tech inspection. Which if memory serves me correct is there to look for rules infractions.

Could it be that big teams really aren't teched as close as the smaller lower budget teams....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

John Barr
The Trashdog

I wondered that too Trashdog! Seems to me that if they passed pre-race inspection that post race wouldn't be that far off. But I don't know that much about how much a car can be adjusted during the race in regards to total height and such. I just think that if you can't pass post race inspection, unless you have a damn good reason, you should be disqualified and sent to the end of the longest line at the end of the race which I believe would be 43rd place. And in my opinion, Harvick shouldn't have had the opportunity to start that race, period!

Aaron, that was some of the funniest complaining I've read in quite a while. Interesting yet completely hillarious!!!!

I think NASCAR went with the "mechanical issues crap" because they failed to catch the infractions in the PRE-RACE inspection. And just exactly how do the quarter panels get "TOO HIGH" on an otherwise straight car? I can understand a car coming in too low(overall), but not when it comes in with HIGH quarters and hasn't sustained any on track damage....

Harvick should have started the race with the fuel cell that was confiscated in qualifying.....that would put an end to what they did. Let them change it during the race.....

Back