Hillier Collides with ‘Haud,’ Runs 20th in Topeka

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
TOPEKA, KS (September 14) – Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year contender Chad Hillier raced past five cars during the first five laps of Friday’s World of Outlaws “A” Feature at Heartland Park. Unfortunately, a collision with Jac Haudenschild one lap later severely damaged the #5c DIRT Inc. Maxim and led to a 20th-place finish.

“We had a good racecar and got off to a good start in the feature, but I slipped up off the bottom a little bit and ‘Haud’ came in there a little too hot and drove up into the side and got up over the front of us,” Chad said. “It flattened our right front tire, broke the Pittman arm and bent the drag link, so we had to make a couple of trips to the work area to get it all fixed. It was tough to get going after that.

“We were a little off earlier, but we changed the gear and a few other things for the feature. It was frustrating we weren’t able to race with it that way for more than six laps. I’d like to see how much farther we would have gotten, but that’s the way it goes sometimes. He (Haudenschild) was starting there in the back with us and he was trying to make a charge to the front. He just got in there a little too hot.”

Hillier’s 12.113-second qualifying lap was the 19th-fastest in the 25-car field, .563 seconds off Jason Meyers’ pace.

“We were just a little off in qualifying,” Chad said. “We wanted to make the inversion, but it was 12 when we ran just three heat races. If we could find those tenths (of a second in qualifying), it would be easier.”

Hillier, his DIRT Inc. teammates and the rest of the World of Outlaws will travel 593 miles for Sunday’s race at Charter Raceway Park in Beaver Dam, WI. Chad appeared to be on his way to the first top-five finish of his World of Outlaws career in the August 3rd race at the 1/3-mile oval, when he crashed into Terry McCarl during a 19th-lap restart and eventually finished in 18th place.

“We had a really good racecar that night, but I just misjudged where Terry was going,” Chad said. “He checked up a little bit and I got in there a little too fast and got into the back of him. We were pretty good there all night – in the heat race and in the feature – so we’ll have a good baseline to start with there. The weather will be cooler, so it will be a little different, but expect to have a good run.”

DeWitt Industries Racing Team Incorporated invites racing fans to visit its website at www.dirt-inc.com for news, results, sponsorship information and photographs. The team is sponsored by Jansma Construction, H.B. Jaeger, Fast Wings, Maxim Chassis, Pro Shocks and Weld Racing.

Back