IMCA Southern Sportmod Nationals @ Boyd Raceway, 9/2-3/11

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By J M Hallas

Boyd, Tx.(Sept. 2nd, 2011) Boyd Raceway played host to this year’s edition of the IMCA Southern Sportmod Nationals. Drivers from Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma converged on the north Texas track to try to make the starting field for Saturday nights $2000 to win Southern Sportmod finals, with a possibility of up to $1250 more tacked on by IMCA.

Friday night qualifying on the ¼ mile, semi-banked clay oval for the Southern Sportmods consisted of heats, B-mains and an A-qualifier locking in the top six finishers to Saturday nights main. The IMCA Modifieds, Stock Cars, Hobby Stocks and “outlaw” Mini Stocks ran heats and features as Boyd Raceway’s season concluded.

Emerson Eases to Sportmod Sweep
Weatherford’s Jeff Emerson started the weekend off right taking his heat and A-qualifier win in the IMCA Southern Sportmods. Emerson, who started from the third row, worked his way up taking the lead from Ronnie Welborn just past halfway then easing ahead of the battles behind him. The main fight for the final transfer ended up in the wall on the final lap giving the last qualifying spot to Sid Kiphen.

As the 20-car field took the green for the 20-lapper, David Elliott and Tom Earl jr. stayed side by side with Elliott inching ahead chased by Earl, Kris Rye, Emerson and Welborn. Earl then crossed over and got under Elliott getting the top spot on lap 2 with Welborn taking third from K. Rye. Welborn looked low on Elliott with K. Rye trying three wide on top.

After putting Elliott back a spot, Welborn ducked inside Earl, while K. Rye and Emerson were wheel to wheel for third. Welborn edged out Earl on lap 6 for the lead as K. Rye followed to second. Emerson was next to put Earl back a spot on lap 8 as he worked up alongside K. Rye. At halfway it was Welborn, K. Rye, Emerson, Elliott and Earl in the top five as Brian Rye held the sixth and final transfer spot.

Cary Stephens stopped on the back stretch for the races only caution on lap 11. Emerson used the restart to jump Welborn for the lead on lap 12, with a pair of side by side scraps behind them. B. Rye got a little breathing room taking fifth from Elliott with five to go leaving Elliott, Dean Abbey, Steve Hayes and Trevor Egbert to settle it.

Emerson began to stretch out his advantage over Welborn in the waning laps while sixth position was still up for grabs with two to go. Emerson’s lead was lead was secure as he crossed the line in the Kenny & Sandy Skidmore owned, Red-dog Graffix, Emerson Race Car. It was three wide for sixth in turns 3/4 and that didn’t work out as Hayes, Elliott, Abbey and Egbert wadded up and Kiphen snuck past the melee for the last spot to make Saturday’s A-main.

“I redrew a 5 and started third row inside,” said Emerson. “I had a lot of good help. I just thank the Lord I won tonight. Kenny & Sandy own the car and we’ve run it for quite a few years. It will still get the job done. I haven’t raced here in a couple years. We raced here last week and got third. So we did some more work on it and apparently it paid off.”

“We didn’t really do anything special to the car before coming here. I have raced here a bunch of times, just not recently. It’s kind of like riding a bicycle once you know how to do it you should be alright.”

“We were in a battle with a good group of guys there, that I put a lot of trust in. So you normally don’t have to worry about someone spinning you out or running over you. I just try to drive people as clean as they drive me. You should be ok that way.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods(Top 6 to Sat. A-main)
35 Jeff Emerson, 20 Ronnie Welborn, 4$ Kris Rye, 46 Tom Earl jr., 184 Brian Rye, 58 Sid Kiphen, 4 Lance Tucker, 2z Zac Sydney, 55 Justin Shaw, sly1 Brandon Guerin, 702 Chris Glick, 124 Jake Upchurch, 98 Curtis Young, 64 Devin Burgess, 10D Don Painter, 26 Dean Abbey, 95 Steve Hayes, 19 David Elliott, 5A Trevor Egbert, 355 Cary Stephens

IMCA SSM heats(Top 2 redraw to A-main)
Heat 1
20 Ronnie Welborn, 26 Dean Abbey, 99h Rickey Haney, 30 Albert McCall, 70 George Egbert, 52j Matt Robins, 12w Gary Fox

Heat 2
35 Jeff Emerson, 10D Don Painter, 99f Gary Fritchen, 2z Zac Sydney, 4P Eddie Prator, 511 Cary Williams, 54 Cody Shoemaker

Heat 3
184 Brian Rye, 702 Chris Glick, 97 Julie Boettler, 22 Brandon Brown, 82m Andy Maines, 54s William Creese, 08 Sean Glennor

Heat 4
4 Lance Tucker, 98 Curtis Young, 25 Terry Owen, 64 Devin Burgess, 07 David Redmon, 17 Chad Kosse, 9 Wesley McNorton

Heat 5
46 Tom Earl, 355 Cary Stephens, 5A Trevor Egbert, 38 Matt Mueller, 16 Donald Owens, 80 Mike Easterwood, 118 Robby Crabtree

Heat 6
4$ Kris Rye, 55 Justin Shaw, 5R Ricky Rodriguez, 27 Terry Schroeder, 10*Travis Penny, 99 Chase Brewer, 00 Brad Shirley

Heat 7
19 David Elliott, 58 Sid Kiphen, 65 Randy Doyle, sly1 Brandon Guerin, 4g Kenneth Graves, 14 Todd West

Heat 8
95 Steve Hayes, 124 Jake Upchurch, 88 Davy Easterling, 59 Chad Hertel, 111 Mike Young, 33 Troy Travis

IMCA SSM B-mains(Winner to A-main)
B-main 1
5A Trevor Egbert, 38 Matt Mueller, 99H Rickey Haney, 30 Albert McCall, 80 Mike Easterwood, 16 Donald Owens, 52j Matt Robins, 70 George Egbert

B-main 2
2z Zac Sydney, 99f Gary Fritchen, 00 Brad Shirley, 5R Ricky Rodriguez, 99 Chase Brewer, 54 Cody Shoemaker, 27 Terry Schroeder, 08 Sean Glennor, 4p Eddie Prator

B-Main 3
sly1 Brandon Guerin, 97 Julie Boettler, 4g Kenneth Graves, 14 Todd West, 118 Robby Crabtree, 22 Brandon Brown, 82 Andy Maines, 54s Wm Creese, 65 Randy Doyle, 511 Cary Williams

B-main 4
64 Devin Burgess, 88 Davy Easterling, 07 David Redmon, 25 Terry Owen, 17 Chad Kosse, 111 Mike Young, 59 Chad Hertel, 9 Wesley McNorton, 33T Troy Travis

Tuckers Tops Modifieds for Track Title
Gabe Tucker(Carbon) was in the right spot after Charlie Harmon II broke while leading handing the spot to Tucker just after the midway point. Tucker was then able to ease away from Chris Elliott and Erick Winnett to take the win and sew up the track championship on top of that.

As green waved on the 20-lap, 19-car IMCA Modified field, Tucker beat the pack into turn 1 trailed by Harmon, Matt Winnett, Chris Elliott and E. Winnett. Elliott took second away from M. Winnett on lap 3 before a spin by Ralph King slowed the pace on lap 4. On the restart Harmon got by Tucker for the lead while the two Winnetts swapped fourth.

Elliott was pressuring Tucker for second, but unable to complete a pass as they approached halfway. At the crossed flags it was Harmon, Tucker, Elliott, E. Winnett and M. Winnett in the top five. Lap 11 saw Harmon slow giving up the point to Tucker with yellow waving as Harmon rolled to a stop after losing fuel pressure.

As Tucker took off back under green, Randy Martin was making a big run up on top getting fifth from Chad Melton. As Tucker began to inch away, Ra. Martin and Melton swapped fifth. Tucker held a decent lead over Elliott as the white flag waved easily cruising to the win in the Braka Operating, ADP Business Products, Brad Stacy Farms, Fast Signs, E&E Custom, Triple T Trucking, CenTex Motorsports, Hughes Chassis.

“I just tried to focus and be smooth,” commented Tucker. “You just have to keep your momentum up and roll the corners. It helps that this is probably my home track. I’ve been around this place quite a few times and that helps a lot too. Our set up for here varies a little from other tracks and I adjust my driving style from someplace like Kennedale to here.”

“If Charlie(Harmon) wouldn’t have broken, he would have been tough to get back by. I was going to try to roll him on the outside, but he was good from the center, off around the bottom. Charlie probably would have had it won if the fuel pump belt hadn’t come off. It was his to win. I hate it for Charlie, but enjoy the win. I really love racing with these guys.”

“Davey(Plato) gives us a good track to race on. I appreciate they give us a place to run. It’s getting harder and harder for tracks. I told Davey and his mother ‘thank you’ for giving us a place to race. I hope people continue to support these tracks and give us a place to play.”

IMCA Modifieds
28 Gabe Tucker, 23 Chris Elliott, 21 Erick Winnett, 999 Matt Winnett, 7 Randy Martin, 71 Chad Melton, 6 Caleb Stone, 52 John Gober, 18 Terry Rentfro, 13 Jason Hunter, 5 Ralph King, 05 Steven Orebaugh, 65 Erik Miles, 21w Johnny Wade, 718 Michael Lamb, 199 Charlie Harmon II, 737 Robin Martin, 3 Sam Cox, 10j Michael Rogers---DNTG

IMCA Modified heats
Heat 1
28 Gabe Tucker, 199 Charlie Harmon, 7 Randy Martin, 52 John Gober, 5 Ralph King, 18R Terry Rentfro, 05 Steven Orebaugh, 13 Jason Hunter, 3 Sam Cox

Heat 2
999 Matt Winnett, 23 Chris Elliott, 21 Eric Winnett, 71 Chad Melton, 6s Caleb Stone, 65 Erik Miles, 718 Michael Lamb, 21w Johnny Wade, 737 Robin Martin

White Beats Back Batt for I-Stock Checkers
Keith White(Academy) took another step towards an IMCA Stock Car National Championship, but it wasn’t easy. White was chased by friend and fellow central Texas driver, Jason Batt. Batt rode White’s rear bumper and made two good charges on the inside. At the end it was the wily White holding on for the victory.

White, who started on the pole, eased out front as the IMCA Stock 20-lap feature roared into turn 1. Former National Champ, Duain Pritchett fell in line second with Matt Guillaume, Caleb Crenshaw and Batt in pursuit. Batt got by Crenshaw on lap 1 before a multi-car tangle in turn 1 brought out a yellow. Pritchett put some heat on White as green waved again while Batt got around Guillaume for third.

Batt then took over second from Pritchett on lap 5 as the top four ran nose to tail. Batt and Pritchett made contact sending them both around and collecting Eric Jones on lap 7 for a caution. Pritchett took responsibility giving Batt and Jones their positions back for the restart that saw Batt all over Whites bumper.

Batt got the nose inside White on lap 9, but White closed the door in turn 1. At halfway it was White, Batt, Guillaume, Ryan Powers and Jones in the top five. Calvin Williams worked his way up swapping fifth with Jones, then finally getting past Powers for fourth. Up front Batt made one more serious run on White, but at the checkers it was White in the Tracys Auto Sales, Braka Operating, TCI, Temple Iron & Metal, Kempner Iron & Metal, Extreme Graphics, racinwithneal.com, BSB Shocks, Tubbs Paint & Body, Stephenville Starter, Craft Master Powder coating, Rhino Racing Rear Ends, CenTex Motorsports, Medieval Chassis by two car lengths.

“I guess I wasn’t fast enough,” replied White, who had Batt beating on his rear bumper. “Jason(Batt) is a good guy to race with. I knew he wasn’t going to knock me out of the way for the win. We all knew he was the better car tonight. We didn’t do a whole lot to the car, but we should have done more apparently. I thought there would have been more on the bottom, but it was pretty slick down there. I just got there first tonight.”

“This win adds another point in the championship chase. The only way we can pick up points is with wins. Our bonus points are set. We’ve got just firsts and seconds now so I drop a second with each win. We try to win every time I go out. We’ll go to Killeen on Saturday night and try to get another one before we go to Boone.”

“Jordan Grabouski passed me in the Modified points last week, my bonus points are a little bit better right now. The way it looks is all he has to do is win another race or two and he’ll have me in the same position.”

“I missed being out there in the Sportmod race tonight. I’ve got to watch a few this year, but with racing the Modified and I-Stock I don’t get much of chance. With only the I-stock here tonight I got to go up and watch them run. It made me miss it a whole lot more, especially since it was a slick track.”

IMCA Stock Cars
1 Keith White, 9 Jason Batt, 50x Matt Guillaume, 11 Calvin Williams, R12 Ryan Powers, 84x Eric Jones, 23 Robert Ferron, 6 Caleb Crenshaw, 50 John Morris, 22d Duain Pritchett, 16 William Creese, 67 Glen Hellenbrook, 25d Daymon Crittenden

IMCA Stock car heats
Heat 1
22 Duain Pritchett, 50x Matt Guillaume, R12 Ryan Powers, 16 William Creese, 84x Eric Jones, 23 Robert Ferron, 50 John Morris

Heat 2
6 Caleb Crenshaw, 1 Keith White, 9 Jason Batt, 67 Glen Hellenbrook, 11 Calvin Williams, 25d Daymon Crittenden

Haynes Hustles to Hobby Honors
Tracy Haynes jumped out front on the start of the 15-lap IMCA Hobby Stock feature and never looked back. Behind Haynes, Brent Sauble moved into second with a host of third place runners all spinning themselves out. Ray Kemp jr. was first to go around from third giving up the spot to Aaron Elliott who spun the next circuit. Tony Anderson was the third of the trio giving up the ‘show’ spot. Up front Haynes was cruising away to the win and locking up the track title.

IMCA Hobby Stocks
34 Tracy Haynes, 67 Brent Sauble, 15j John Villars, 127 Chase Parsons, 14 Kevin Clemmons, 147 Tony Anderson, 21 Aaron Elliott, 45 Ray Kemp jr.

IMCA Hobby Stock heat
147 Tony Anderson, 34 Tracy Haynes, 67 Brent Sauble, 14 Kevin Clemmons, 45 Ray Kemp jr., 21 Aaron Elliott, 15j John Villars

Ruben Broussard went wire to wire in the Mini Stock feature showing why he was the track champion leading all 15 laps.

Mini Stock
51 Ruben Broussard, 01 Bubba Isaacs, 14 Ronnie Evans, 21 John Freeman, 11 Andrew Neff, 4x Reuban Leatherwood, 35 Jimmy Doremus---DNS

Mini Stock heat winner, 51 Ruben Broussar

Back