IMCA Southern Sportmod Nationals @ Boyd Raceway 9/2-3/11

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By J M Hallas

Boyd, Tx.,(Sept 3rd, 2011) Saturday capped off Texas’ annual IMCA Southern Sportmod Nationals on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, clay oval. With 6 positions locked on Friday, 14 more were up for grabs in Saturday night’s events. Heat races would transfer the winner directly to the big A-main, while B-main action would send the top two to the big show.

Also on the racing card for the night were Smiley Sitton’s Sprint Series of Texas running a full program of heats, B-main and A-main.

Emerson Completes Sportmod Sweep
Weatherford’s Jeff Emerson did nothing but win races he was entered in on this weekend. After taking Friday nights heat and A-qualifier, Emerson wrapped up the weekend with his second IMCA Southern Sportmod Nationals championship. Emerson and Sid Kiphen had a spirited battle early in the 30-lapper, but after a rash of cautions, Emerson left no doubt who had the best car easing away in the waning stages for the $2,000 payday, plus IMCA’s ‘starts’ bonus.

As green waved on the 20-car IMCA Southern Sportmod starting field, polesitter, Kris Rye led into turn 1. Emerson, on the top side challenged, but K. Rye led back to line on lap 1 trailed by Emerson, Kiphen, Tom Earl jr. and Brian Rye. Emerson got by K. Rye, who took a little side trip in the infield, to lead lap 2. K. Rye also gave up spots to Kiphen and Earl. K. Rye got a spot back from Earl, as the top four broke away from the pack.

Earl and K. Rye were side by side for third, while Trevor Egbert was alongside B. Rye for fifth. Kiphen gave Emerson a look low on lap 5 and got beside him in turns 3-4. The duo were wheel to wheel on lap 6, with Kiphen getting the advantage on lap 7, while K. Rye and Earl continued to slug it out for third. Behind them, B. Rye and Egbert were swapping fifth, sometimes corner for corner.

Emerson was able to get back alongside Kiphen on lap 10, and retake the top spot on lap 11 as they stayed tied and the doors. As the front battles calmed briefly, Brandon Guerin got seventh from Jake Upchurch. As Emerson and Kiphen pulled away at the crossed flags, K. Rye and Earl resumed their fight for third, with B. Rye rounding out the top five.

Earl used a lapped car to pick K. Rye and take over third on lap 17. The races first caution waved on lap 18 when Devin Burgess stopped on track, leaving a driveshaft along the way. Once back to green the top five stayed single file, while Dean Abbey and Egbert went door to door for sixth. Emerson had just begun to inch away when Don Painter slapped the wall for a lap 20 yellow.

On the restart, Abbey used the high side to get a run past Egbert and B. Rye for fifth. Yellow flew again on lap 23 for a spin by Chase Brewer in turn 4. As the race resumed, the top four hugged the bottom, while B. Rye, Egbert and Abbey were three wide for fifth, with Abbey getting the spot. B. Rye and Egbert stayed side by side until Egbert got the spot and B. Rye slowed with a flat bringing out a yellow on lap 26.

Emerson got a good jump on Kiphen as green waved again, while Abbey tried the top against K. Rye for third. K. Rye and Abbey were side by side for fourth and Upchurch ran beside Guerin for sixth as the white was shown. Emerson held a comfortable margin over Kiphen coming to the checkers in the Kenny & Sandy Skidmore, Red-Dog Graffix, Emerson Race Car. Behind them several battles ended in spins shaking up the final order.

“I used to always believe in luck,” replied Emerson, “but I don’t anymore. It was a lot of hard work, good help and the weekend just came together. It’s a blessing just to be able to get to race and the way everything turned out. It’s amazing.”

“Sid(Kiphen) was actually a little better than us the first half. I didn’t want to try too hard and use the tires up. We had 30 laps to go and the last lap is the one that pays. I just tried to stay with him and we got a little better as the run went. I don’t know what the deal with all the cautions was towards the end, but it all worked out.”

“We pretty much do our same weekly maintenance even before a big race like this. My buddy’s Lewis and Kenny pretty much take care of everything. Lewis has been with me since I was sixteen, he does all the work on the Sprint Car too. Fortunately all I have to do these days is the easy part. They have to do all the manual labor.”

“This win means a little more than the first one. Some people didn’t feel we won fair and square. There’s pretty much no question about this one. Keith(White) and I have actually become pretty decent friends since then. We’ve raced each a bunch in the Modifieds and never touched each other. It’s nice to be in company with people like that. We can run with each other as hard you run them. It’s easy to run over somebody. It’s the ones that do it without touching are the ones that do the best.”

“With the rules change I wanted to run the Sportmod because it’s a fun car to drive. It’s pretty easy maintenance and easy to work on. The Modifieds are pretty expensive and motors were getting out of hand. I’ve got the Sprint Car now too. I’m all over winning in that, we’ve been second a number of times. We’ll see where the Good Lord leads us next.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods
35 Jeff Emerson, Weatherford
58 Sid Kiphen, Gatesville
46 Tom Earl jr., Haslet
4$ Kris Rye, Corpus Christi
5A Trevor Egbert, Belton
26 Dean Abbey, Haslet
88 Doug Easterling, Rule
sly1 Brandon Guerin, Whitney
14 Todd West, Aledo
99 Chase Brewer, Haltom City
95 Steve Hayes, Eastland
4g Kenneth Graves, Tahoka
184 Brian Rye, Corpus Christi
98 Curtis Young, Ft. Worth
124 Jake Upchurch, N. Richland Hills
4 Lance Tucker, Ft. Worth
00 Brad Shirley, Springtown
10D Don Painter, Buda
64 Devin Burgess, Stephenville
22(20) Ronnie Welborn, Princeton

Abbey Aces Sportmod Race of Champions
Dean Abbey(Haslet), who secured his Sportmod Championship just by making the A-main, used home field advantage on his way to the Sportmod Race of Champions. Abbey got out front early chased by Kenneth Graves, Tom Earl jr., Matt Mueller and Julie Boettler. As Abbey eased ahead, Earl got second from Graves leaving him three wide with Mueller and Boettler. A spin by Donald Owens brought the races only stoppage. From there Abbey out raced the field to the checkers.

IMCA SSM Race of Champions
26 Dean Abbey, Boyd Raceway
46 Tom Earl jr., Kennedale Speedway Park
97 Julie Boettler, Aztec Speedway
4g Kenneth Graves, Lady Luck Speedway
38 Matt Mueller, Abilene Speedway
355 Cary Stephens, Grayson County Speedway
702(65) Randy Doyle, Texas Thunder Speedway
12w(16) Donald Owens, 281 Speedway
511 Cory Williams, Cardinal Motor Speedway
30 Albert McCall, 85 Speedway

SSM Heats(Winner to A-main)
Heat 1
00 Brad Shirley, sly1 Brandon Guerin, 4 Lance Tucker, 4g Kenneth Graves, 12w Gary Fox, 38 Matt Mueller, 511 Cory Williams, 82m Andy Maines

Heat 2
26 Dean Abbey, 19 David Elliott, 98 Curtis Young, 59 Chad Hertel, 99h Rickey Haney, 99f Gary Fritchen, 5R Ricky Rodriguez, 2z Zac Sydney

Heat 3
99 Chase Brewer, 54 Cody Shoemaker, 111 Mike Young, 355 Cary Stephens, 24 Ben Raines, 52j Matt Robbins, 55 Justin Shaw, 9 Wesley McNorton

Heat 4
5a Trevor Egbert, 88 Doug Easterling, 95 Steve Hayes, 4p Eddie Prator, 30 Albert McCall, 97 Julie Boettler, 70 George Egbert, 17 Chad Kosse

Heat 5
124 Jake Upchurch, 25 Terry Owen, 80 Mike Easterwood , 702 Chris Glick, 64 Devin Burgess, 54s William Creese, 22 Brandon Brown, 16 Donald Owens

Heat 6
14 Todd West, 10D Don Painter, 118 Robby Crabtree, 27 Terry Schroeder, 07 David Redmon, 10* Travis Penny, 65 Randy Doyle, 08 Sean Glennor

SSM B-mains(Top 2 to A-main )
B-main 1
sly 1 Brandon Guerin, 4g Kenneth Graves, 12w Gary Fox, 25 Terry Owen, 38 Matt Mueller, 111 Mike Young, 22 Brandon Brown, 55 Justin Shaw, 702 Chris Glick, 54s William Creese, 82 Andy Maines

B-main 2
10D Don Painter, 95 Steve Hayes, 59 Chad Hertel, 70 George Egbert, 27 Terry Schroeder, 99f Gary Fritchen, 99h Rickey Haney, 19 David Elliott, 10* Travis Penny, 08 Sean Glennor---DNS, 2z Zac Sydney---DNS

B-main 3
4 Lance Tucker, 64 Devin Burgess, 80 Mike Easterwood, 52j Matt Robbins, 355 Cary Stephens, 511 Cory Williams, 9 Wesley McNorton, 54 Cody Shoemaker, 24 Ben Raines

B-main 4
88 Doug Easterling, 98 Curtis Young, 97 Julie Boettler, 07 David Redmon, 118 Robby Crabtree, 17 Chad Kosse, 4P Eddie Prator, 5R Ricky Rodriguez, 16 Donald Owens

Merrell Motors to SST Main
Danny Merrell got around early leader Keith Sturgeon on lap 4 and pulled out to a big lead, while Jason Howell worked his way up to second. Howell caught Merrell in the final few circuits when Merrell was slowed by traffic. A late caution reracked the field, but Merrell was able to hold off the challenges of Howell to grab the victory.

As the 20-car, 20-lap Sprint Series of Texas feature went green Sturgeon was first into turn 1 chased by Merrell, David Garland, Kenny Elwood and Jeff Emerson, who was doing double duty. Lap 2 saw a four wide battle for third between Garland, Emerson, Elwood and Mike Herring. Up front Merrell was trying the high side of Sturgeon with Emerson and Herring sorting out third and fourth.

Merrell got by Sturgeon to lead lap 4, as Howell made his way up to fifth going past Dustin Woods. Howell continued his charge to the front getting by Emerson and Herring, with Herring following past Emerson. Howell then put Sturgeon back a spot on lap for second. At halfway it was Merrell, Howell, Sturgeon, D. Woods and Emerson in the top five. With five to go Merrell was in traffic and Howell was closing quickly as they diced around slower cars.

The races only yellow flew on lap 17 when Elwood tagged the turn 3 wall sending the car into the air, but landing on all fours. This set up a clean shootout between Merrell and Howell for the win. Howell got a good run off the top as the green waved, but Merrell on the bottom held him off. Merrell got a slight advantage as the white flag was shown and held on for the win in the All Import Auto Parts, All Used ATV Parts, Auto World Collision, QSD Graphics, M&D Tire, Kim Wilke powered, Eagle Chassis.

Sprint Series of Texas
41 Danny Merrell, 44 Jason Howell, 77 Keith Sturgeon, 05 Dustin Woods, 90 Mike Herring, 9 Ryan Beechler, 35 Jeff Emerson, 84 David Garland, 01 Jerry Hammock, 67 Rodney Henderson, 17 Edd French, 59 Kenny Venable, 80 Bud Hannah, 12 Gary Kelly, 91 Kerry Rush, 48 David Barr, 7 Carl Lamb, 30 Shane Gloeckler, 42 Chris Thode, 21 Kenny Elwood

“It was a lot of hard work,” commented Merrell. “The track was perfect though it took rubber and we were able to go to the top, bottom, wherever we wanted to go. I had no idea Jason(Howell) was back there until he showed me the nose. Then I knew it was time to hold it to the floorboard. I was driving it in harder and hoped he didn’t get around after that caution.”

“I really look at what Jason is doing out there as far as set up. We take a look at the track together and talk about it. He’s real helpful. That kid has learned his stuff. He helps me out a lot. Running together you know who you can race with and who you give a little room to. It’s a lot of fun and a good group of guys. Some people say we’re disciples of Smiley, but until you race with us you don’t know how good it really is.”

Sprint Series of Texas heats(Top 4 to A-main)
Heat 1
01(4) Jerry Hammock, 7 Carl Lamb, 80 Bud Hannah, 21 Kenny Elwood, 91 Kerry Rush, 59 Kenny Venable

Heat 2
17 Edd French, 44 Jason Howell, 84 David Garland, 05 Dustin Woods, 48 David Barr, 11 Bruce Bridges, 88 Walter Lane

Heat 3
77 Keith Sturgeon, 90 Mike Herring, 35 Jeff Emerson, 41 Danny Merrell, 61 Ed Keaton, 56 Craig Woods, 87 Rick Webb

Heat 4
67 Rodney Henderson, 42 Chris Thode, 30 Shane Gloeckler, 9 Ryan Beechler, 12 Gary Kelly, 93 Adam Barr, 15 Jesse Graham

SST B-main(Top 4 to A-main)
91 Kerry Rush, 59 Kenny Venable, 48 David Barr, 12 Gary Kelly, 56 Craig Woods, 61 Ed Keaton, 15 Jesse Graham, 11 Bruce Bridges, 88 Walter Lane, 93 Adam Barr, 87 Rick Webb---DNS

Back