Info from WKA about including Animal into Briggs stock classes

DirtRich

There was some question at the rules meeting for Bedrock on Sunday about allowing the Animal motor to run with the Stock classes. Here is a list of WKA dirt series classes. For classes at Bedrock it appears that only the Junior class (Gold Plate) may combine the 2 motors. The Animal will have to run a .505 restrictor. See WKA website for more details.

Briggs & Stratton Speedway Dirt Series
4-Cycle Open
Briggs Controlled Medium and Heavy (Raptor & Animal only)
Briggs Junior Champ (Animal and Raptor only)
Briggs Junior Sportsman 1 Light and Heavy (Raptor only)
Briggs Junior Sportsman 2 Light and Heavy (Raptor only)
Briggs Junior Light and Heavy (Animal and Raptor combined with restrictor plates)
Briggs Light, Medium and Heavy (Raptor only)
Briggs Super Heavy (Raptor only)
Briggs Limited Light and Heavy (Animal and Raptor combined)
Briggs Senior Champ Light and Heavy (Raptor only)
Briggs Senior (Raptor only)
Stock 2-Cycle
Unlimited 2-Cycle
Yamaha 2-Cycle
Briggs Jr. Sportsman Champ Lite and Heavy (Raptor only)
Briggs Animal Medium and Heavy (Animal only)
Briggs Jr Animal Class Eliminated & Combined with Briggs Jr (raptors)
Briggs Super Stock Eliminated
Briggs Jr Animal Champ
Kid Karts

does that mean you are going to run an animal motor against a flathead motor at Bedrock in the junior gold plate class? If I'm not mistaken the animal motor has 1 1/2 to 2 hp more than the flathead..................

It was just a question that was brought up. It's up to Frank whether or not to follow the WKA rules. The special restrictor is supposed to even things out.

They ran animals at duquoins oks race in the junoir 2s. They had 5 animals and 7 flatheads, We won with a flathead. Motors looked pretty equal on the race track. The big advantage I have been hearing on the animals is they are cheaper new and less rebuilds than the flatheads. I think it wont be long till animals will take over.

the animal has alot more power then the flatty and i have dyno pulls to prove it..it pulls between 2hp and above over the flatty as well as has alot more low end torque..on a little track like duquin you will not see alot of difference,but on bigger tracks there is substantial difference,as much as i hate to admit it the flathead is about over,too bad that all the work us builders have put in them and all the money we have all spent on flathead motors that wka just shoves them out..pretty sad that all of us with thousands wrapped up in flatheads will not be able to get a dime out of them cause nobody will be able to run them..the animal is a great motor dont get me wrong,fast,cheap and goes a while before refreshes,the flathead was cheap in the beginning too..i just think wka could have handled it better for us seeing how much money we donate to the wka series every year and they pretty much screwed alot of poeple..just my $.02!!!

you have got to be kidding me.

I promise you the animal is noticably more powerful than the flathead. As impressed as I am with the driver I wrenched for, If it had not been for the fact we had a sponsor supplied animal in the gold plate class in Daytona, we would have never have competed as well as we did in the gold plate classes. If Frank goes to letting the animal run WITH the raptors, gold plate racing is going to get real expensive locally . Go to the 4cycle dot com site. You will see for yourself how many flats made the field in Daytona. It would be nice to know this upfront so folks can plan on spending 3500.00 for a good Animal. Yea I know you can get an animal built for 1100.00. Well good luck is all i'm going to say. They do need less maintenance from what ive gathered, but still. Maybe its was more noticable because it was a 1/4 mile track. Im no expert , but I see problems mixing the two. I hope i'm wrong, but there were ALOT of pissed off folks at the last race I was at that allowed both motors.

Back