It's time to grow the sport

havoline28

The question of the day is do you want the sport of dirt racing to grow or do you want it to slowly dwindle away.?

Some people want UMP to do something to help cut the cost while others don't want them to change a thing. So who is going to be right or should we even wait to see who is going to be right or who is going to be wrong.

In my opinion something needs to be done now in order for the sport to grow. I know it won't be the popular thing to do but, it will be the right thing to do. By making a few changes will not affect the top teams because they will always be on top but, what it will do is strengthen the sport and help those that are thinking about quitting maybe stay in racing instead of buying a boat or camper. So, if they can come up with a good set of cost cutting rules that are enforced and there lies the key. The lack of enforcement of rules which is partly to blame for where we are today so, if rules are not enforced it won't matter what rules you come up because it will be a waste of time and money.

Some have to stop thinking of themselves and start thinking of the sport in general or who knows what it might look like in a few years. Yes I will agree it's not like there is not going to be any racing next year or the year after but, who knows in the next 5 where we will be.
Maybe think of the race fan they are not going to want to watch a heat race with just 5 or 6 cars and a feature with just 10 or 12 cars which is happening at some tracks right now and look at their fan base it has dwindled. Time to find a way to get more cars to the track which in turn will help the fan base. Yes i realize that alone will not solve the fan base problem but, it is a start.

So what do you guys think. Is it me to do something now or just sit back and do nothing and hope it all works out?

Maybe a change in management at UMP. Apparently, they don't have a clue as to what's happening with car counts at many UMP tracks. 4 car late model features are pathetic.

As a fan in the stands, all we can do is support the track and give thanks to the person willing to be a promoter.
Sponsors are not drawn to an empty house. Rules are for track official's to maintain the integrity of the implied
rules of the sanctioning body. There isn't a sport that participants don't fudge on the rules for a better advantage.
Let us as fans just enjoy the venue for what little it cost to get in.
Air Dog

Of course we don't want it to die off.
My opinion is.
Solution, economy has to change. Fuel prices have run the cost of everything up, not just driving costs. People don't have the cash to go watch or go race like they did pre-2008 when prices spiked. Vote differently or participate in politics and change the way our country and the world operates. You people that think its a local issue must be under a rock, this is a nation wide issue, not just local or track problem. Its Way more than that!

Things that can help save the sport, maybe tracks not charge for kids under 15. But be sure there is a paying adult. Keeps the youth attending so we don't lose them.
Lower costs by leveling the rules and enforcing them. My opinion is UMP is doing the right thing, Aero is a big factor! Way more than people think. Removing spoilers and removing lips on noses and roofs will slow cars down, also going to a hard tire and limiting cutting on them will even the fields up a lot. Keeps a car that is running an engine less than the big guy competitive.
BELIVE ME I run a crate motor in a Super Latemodel and do pretty good considering I'm down 200+ hp in most cases. The only way I could field 2 cars and run 45+ nights this year is by cutting my costs. 8 years ago I had 3 open motors and 1 latemodel. Broke them all and the fuel prices spiked and I about lost my house!!!!! Tires and Aero will even it out, IMCA and the original Ideas of UMP need to be the rule. I miss my big $$$$ engines and I know others in the same boat, or quit. At least some of the sanctioning bodies are reversing the trend of raising the costs.
The dominating racer or teams will still be the major forces but at least some of us economy minded guys like me will stick around and be at least competitive.
It kills me when guys comment saying a $17 spoiler is what the mods save. They have no clue, knock off a 12 inch section or bend up a nose and see how different a car will handle, even at Belleville. Although there its pretty evened out by itself. Not all places level the field naturally, Pevely or Tri-City aero plays much more of a factor.
Tires will save a lot too. West of here its all the G60 or American Racer for the Mods and the WRS55 or 1640 for Latemodels. UMP needs to think about that. It saves money, I know it by experience. I looked at the SLMR series rules for Latemodels and feel UMP should look at those rules, and IMCA for the Mods, although their stamping or labeling of parts are something I don't agree with. Never felt the claim deal was a cost saver either.
So in summary The Changes are about taking the Big $$$ engines advantages away, at least somewhat.

All I know is its those who live outside the top 5 at any local track are the ones that the powers that be need to think about making cost efficient changes for. Racers on tighter budgets make up the vast majority of who we see racing on the weekends. The smaller the budget the less room for problems. Most racers will only bang their head against the wall so long before reality sets in that they dont have a snowballs chance at winning or being competitive on a consistant basis. God love those who are happy even knowing that. Yes winners now will win no matter what. But there needs to be things done to help the others better their chances.

Back