Jimmy and the boys are at it again..."Battle at the Bullring" in Humboldt, Kansas

Debbie Cummins

Bomber Momma #19
Bruce and Jimmy left this morning for Humboldt, Kansas, to race in the "Battle at the Bullring" starting on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There's quite a group of them this year: Robbie Eilers, Doug Tye, Steve Maisel, and my Jimmy Cummins. Boondog and Buddydog and I are holding down the home front while the boys go off and play. Tonight is practice time, but I will keep everybody updated, along with Mrs. Doug Tye on Facebook. Good Luck guys! Stay safe and have fun!!!! More later....as I hear from them.

Oh my, I forgot to make it GREEN!

Last edited:
Jimmy just called me. They made it safely to the track, but he said they blew out 2 trailer tires on the way! Oh my! The "Bullring" 2016 saga begins....he was in a hurry (so what else is new?) and will call me back in a bit, he said.

Kevin, that is so cool, but I have to stay home with the doggies. My CDSO* contribution to Cummins Racing, you know, besides baking cookies.

*Chief Dog Sitting Officer

Bruce and Jimmy left this morning for Humboldt, Kansas, to race in the "Battle at the Bullring" starting on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There's quite a group of them this year: Robbie Eilers, Doug Tye, Steve Maisel, and my Jimmy Cummins. Boondog and Buddydog and I are holding down the home front while the boys go off and play. Tonight is practice time, but I will keep everybody updated, along with Mrs. Doug Tye on Facebook. Good Luck guys! Stay safe and have fun!!!! More later....as I hear from them.

Oh my, I forgot to make it GREEN!
Debbie, I think you need to go along on one these trips. You might bring Jimmy the luck he needs and just think about all the quality family time.

Debbie, I think you need to go along on one these trips. You might bring Jimmy the luck he needs and just think about all the quality family time.
Now just what would I do all day long when they are working on the car at the track? I just can't sit in the trailer all day and look pretty. I mean I could, but I'd be bored. I think I'd talk too much and drive them nuts. And who would take such good care of Boon and Buddy? I'll go see him at the local tracks...that's enough road trips for me.
I haven't heard from them yet tonight after practice. One of them had better call me! Soon! I want to hear how the car worked. Call me James!

They did call about 12:30 a.m. when they were finally leaving the track and heading for the hotel. The car "worked good" for the first time running it this season, Jimmy said. Trailer tires blew out at two different times so they bought 2 new ones in Kansas City. No major problems there, thank goodness..
Guess they will take full advantage of the breakfast at the hotel this morning and then head to the track. Good Luck to all our racers! More later.

Boon and Buddy are getting along famously...no problems yet. I think they are getting accustomed to each other. Boon eats Buddy's food and Buddy eats Boon's food. That's about normal. Oh, and Boon can open closed bedroom doors. It's hard to sleep with a 95 lb. dog that wants to cuddle so I shut the door after our 7:00 a.m. outside bathroom trip, but he got the door open anyway. Geez!

It's Thursday night and Bruce just called with some results. This is what I know....there are 139 B-mod cars for this event. Wow!
Doug Tye broke a driveshaft in the 1st heat race. He borrowed one from Jimmy, so he's good to go for now.
Robbie Eilers started on the pole in his heat race, dropped back a few spots, and then battled back to win it! According to Bruce, Robbie will have to start in the back of his next heat race because they are inverting the field for the 2nd set of heat races tonight.
They are running 2 sets of 12 heats each night. They ran 12 B-mod heat races already tonight. Now they are running the second set of 6 B-mod heat races, then the A-mod feature, and then the last 6 B-mod heat races. It will be a late night!
They had some sort of trouble with not getting all the cars included in the heat race line-ups the first time. They had to take down the line-ups and re-do them. Jimmy was not included at all in the first set of line-ups, as were some other cars. Big time-waster, Bruce said!
Jimmy was in the 12th heat race. He started 7th and got up to 5th.
Steve Maisel started in the 6th heat race, got up to 4th but got knocked back after a restart.
Jimmy should be 2nd row inside in his next heat race.

I wish Humboldt would sign up with Speednet.com and put their line-ups on line so I could see them and get the results. too.
More later...

Janet Eilers posted on Facebook that Robbie Eilers got 2nd in his 2nd heat and Doug Tye took 3rd in his 2nd heat. No word on Jimmy yet. Great job guys!

upload_2016-3-11_2-7-29.png

upload_2016-3-11_2-9-50.png

upload_2016-3-11_2-13-54.png

upload_2016-3-11_2-14-37.png

Humboldt Speedway says on Facebook: Top 4 in tech barn under lock down. Will be teched at 10 in the morning.

Bruce called me at 2:20 a.m. I posted the sheets from the track that Gene Morton put on Facebook. Robbie Eilers is in 6th, Steve Maisel is 35th, Jimmy Cummins is 38th, and Doug Tye is 94th after tonight. Two more sets of heat races tomorrow night.
In their 2nd heat race of Thursday night, Steve Maisel finished 1st, Robbie Eilers was 2nd, and Doug Tye was 3rd. Jimmy started his second heat race in 3rd, was spun out in the 1st corner, charged with the caution and put back to the rear in 9th place, but came back and finished 4th. Not so good for passing points, but will have to do.
The top 12 after Friday night heat races are locked into the Feature for Saturday. All the rest will run Consis, or B-Mains.
Jimmy was doing his walking around the pits talking to people, Steve and Shad wanted to talk but Bruce was on the phone with me. I guess things are calming down there about now. Bruce says it's kind of cold without the heater they didn't bring. Robbie has a warm trailer, though..
I'm going to bed. Goodnight all!

1st set of Heat race line-ups for Friday night.
Heat 4 - Steve Maisel starts front row outside
Heat 5 - Jimmy Cummins starts front row outside
Heat 12 - Robbie Eilers starts 3rd row outside
Heat 13 - Doug Tye starts pole position

upload_2016-3-11_16-2-47.png

Last edited:
2nd set of Heat race line-ups for Friday night, 3-11-2016 at Humboldt Speedway
Heat 6 - Jimmy Cummins starts 9th, 5th row inside
Heat 7 - Steve Maisel starts 9th, 5th row inside
Heat 11 - Doug Tye starts 9th, 5th row inside
Heat 12 - Robbie Eilers starts 4th, 2nd row outside

Good Luck everybody!!!!!! Go Jimmy GO! and Steve, and Doug, and Robbie, too!

upload_2016-3-11_16-11-50.png

Bruce called about 4:30 p.m. He's going to start up the BBQ for tonight. I told him not to wait too long because the food will be ready when Jimmy has to go race his 1st heat race. He's now going to go ask Doug and Robbie if they want him to start up the fire now. Geez! Men! Yes, Bruce start up the grill NOW!
Jimmy borrowed a distributor from Steve Maisel in the hopes that it will stop the sputtering/cold reaction of the motor on starts. Got to hold on to that front row spot!
Everybody sounds like they are in good spirits and having FUN, for now. The dogs are fine, too!
More as I learn it... Gene Morton has been great about posting stuff on Facebook for me, or course, who else?

Updates from Friday night: Jimmy finished 4th in his 1st heat race (2nd to 4th), Robbie Eilers finished 6th in his 1st heat race (6th to 6th), Doug Tye finished 4th in his 1st heat race (1st to 4th). Waiting on word about Steve Maisel.

Steve Maisel finished 3rd in his 1st heat race.
All of the 2nd heat race line-ups have been changed. Jimmy is now in the 9th heat race, starting 4th row inside.
Bruce said it's starting to "mist" some, said it feels like little ice stings on his hands. I think he's cold.
Another late night at Humboldt. More news later on...

12:30 a.m. and the races are over for tonight. Jimmy finished 4th in his 2nd heat race of the night. That's two 4ths for him today. Bruce said he was trapped behind 3 cars, two cars were side-by-side in front of him. The car was "good" but he was blocked, went from 8th to 4th so that was good for passing points.
According to Bruce and Steve Maisel, Robbie Eilers is in 25th place after tonight, Jimmy is 34th, Steve is 36th, and Doug Tye moved up to somewhere in the 80's now, they weren't sure how far. None of them made the top 12 cars that were locked in after tonight. The remaining 127 cars will have to try to get in the big race through consis, and then they are supposed to have two 20-car $1,000.00 to win races. At least that's what Bruce and Steve said.

Friday night results for Heat races: Thanks Jimmy D.!

http://www.stlracing.com/2016/03/12/humboldt-speedway-battle-of-the-bullring-results-friday-31116/

My Jimmy called this morning. He starts the 2nd row outside in his race tonight. So do Robbie and Steve in their races. Doug starts a little further back in his. The top 2 make the BIG race. The 3rd - 6th place cars will make the non-qualifier race. If you don't make that, then you're done.
Jimmy says there are cars there from Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Canada, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and of course, Illinois.

Back