Jones Set To Make Debut With Mopar, Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Center Line, Mich. - Levi Jones knows that as he pushes off for Copper World Classic qualifying at Phoenix International Raceway this Saturday, he'll have all eyes on him. Not only will he be carrying a new paint scheme, but he'll be making his debut in the No. 21 machine for Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises and Mopar.

While most would be apprehensive, it's a challenge that Jones welcomes with open arms.

"I'm just really excited, for lack of other words," Jones said. "I've been looking forward to running with this team since December, and I'm ready to get things started this weekend. It's really going to be exciting to begin a new chapter of my career with a great team and starting things off with such a big race will make things even more memorable."

The No. 21 team members have very realistic goals for the USAC Copper World Classic. They want to finish the race. They know from experience that consistency is the key to success, and they look to make the 2006 season no exception.

"Our goal is to simply finish the race," Jones said. "We always race to do as well as we can, but with this being our first race together as a team, we're going to focus on finishing the event as well as we can. We're also going to be figuring out how we all work together, which is valuable experience."

The Copper World Classic brings the nation's best midget car pilots to the Arizona desert every year, and the teams know they're fighting not only for the win, but for bragging rights. Jones is well aware of what the competition is bringing, and he's confident that the No. 21 is ready for the curve.

"The competition level at Copper World is always high," Jones said. "The Lewis Racing team will be tough. They're coming back this year with great drivers and a new engine. The fact that they have such experienced drivers and an established team will make them tough. We're confident that the Mopar engine will give us the power we need to run well, though. We just need to focus on qualifying well and running a consistent race."

With realistic goals in place for the Copper World Classic, the team has a different outlook on the USAC/CRA California Sprints event scheduled at Manzanita Speedway later Saturday night. Jones will be seeking a bit of revenge, as his last two outings haven't satisfied him.

"The last two times I've run at Manzanita, I've finished second," Jones said.
"I'd like to change that streak this weekend and get a win. I'm looking forward to getting to run on both the dirt and the pavement this weekend, and I think we'll be in contention to win at both tracks."

Jones, teammate Josh Wise and the Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises team will participate in the USAC National Midget Car Series portion of the USAC Copper World Classic at Phoenix International Raceway. Qualifying is set to begin at
3:05 p.m. PST on Saturday, January 21. The team will then move to Manzanita Speedway later that day to compete in the USAC/CRA California Sprints event.
Qualifying is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. PST.

For more information regarding Jones, Phoenix International Raceway, Manzanita Speedway or USAC Racing, log on to www.levijones.com, www.phoenixinternationalraceway.com, www.manzanitaspeedway.us or www.usacracing.com.

Mopar is based in Center Line, Mich., and is the exclusive original equipment supplier of parts and accessories for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® vehicles.

Back