Koretsky returning to Pro Stock competition at Brainerd race

airchicken

Koretsky returning to Pro Stock competition at Brainerd race 8/9/2006 Ken Koretsky Kenny Koretsky is returning to the driver’s seat of his blue Nitro Fish/ISC Racer’s Tape Pro Stock Dodge Stratus at this weekend's 25th annual Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals at Brainerd International Raceway for the first time since his horrific accident with Bruce Allen last October at the Texas Motorplex in Dallas. "Tell the fans 'Captain Chaos' will be driving at Brainerd this weekend," said Koretsky, referring to his longtime nickname. "The fans helped me make this decision. If I had $100 for every fan who asked me when I was going to start driving again, I’d have enough money to run the team for a year." Koretsky will be in the car when qualifying begins Friday for the 25th Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals, replacing fill-in driver Mike Thomas. Koretsky sustained head, back, arm and hand injuries when his car struck Allen’s airborne car near the finish line at the Texas Motorplex. He could’ve returned sooner but says he decided to "keep Mike (Thomas) and Dave (Northrop) in the cars until the time was right. I feel fine physically but I’m sure I’ll be a little nervous. It’s like falling off a bike. You just get back on it. "I’m looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see what we can do. Hopefully we’ll be alright. If it feels good, I’ll continue to do it." The gregarious team owner from Richboro, Pa. also credited Evan Knoll, entrepreneur and sponsor of several racecar teams, with providing the final impetus for his comeback. "Evan was in an accident and had injuries similar to mine," Koretsky said. "I watched him get in a Top Fuel dragster at Martin, Mich. and make some runs. I was inspired to see him do it." Koretsky’s Pro Stock team has struggled this year. Thomas replaced Koretsky at the beginning of the season and Northrop has driven a second Nitro Fish/ISC Racer’s Tape Dodge at several events. "We’ll have only one car at Brainerd," said Koretsky, who finished ninth in NHRA POWERade Series points in 2004. "Mike and Dave will continue to drive the red Nitro Fish Dodge at selected races." Eddie Guarnaccia, Koretsky’s longtime friend and team manager, continues as crew chief.

Back