Lasoski celebrates with Tony Stewart

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
by Jeremy Troiano
CONCORD, N.C. (Nov. 20, 2002) – After a wild season, Tony Stewart wrapped up his first NASCAR Winston Cup Championship this past weekend. Many people are talking about how Stewart is one of very few drivers to win championships in NASCAR, Indy cars, USAC Midgets, Sprints and Silver Crown, but one fact everyone is overlooking is that he is also a championship team owner. Last year, Stewart got to celebrate a Pennzoil World of Outlaws championship with his driver, Danny “The Dude” Lasoski.

This year, Danny was on hand to celebrate the Winston Cup crown with Tony last weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway in Florida.

“Tony has done so much for me and my career in the last few years, it was the least I could do to be there to celebrate this championship with him,” said Lasoski. “It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy, no matter what anyone out there wants to think. Tony is a great friend of mine and to see him accomplish this is just amazing. I know he was so excited and happy for me when we won the championship in 2001 and now he gets to experience it first hand. I can tell you, there is nothing like the feeling of being the best of the best in your sport. Tony is so good, though, I think he could be the best of the best in anything he drove.

“He is the very best car owner you can ask for. He gives us everything we need to get the job done on the track. And when he is at the races with us, he is just like one of the guys. He doesn’t just stand around and watch, he gets right in there and gets dirty with the rest of us. He just loves the sport of auto racing. I think if he climbed in one of these World of Outlaw cars, he would be a contender here, too.”

Lasoski made the trip to Florida to be with Stewart, who won the Winston Cup Championship by 38 points over Mark Martin. “The Dude” got to participate in all of the post-race activities with the entire Home Depot crew.

“The Dude” was also named as one of the 12 drivers who will participate in the 2003 International Race of Champions, a four-race series pitting the best racecar drivers in the world against each other in identically prepared cars. Lasoski will join 2002 WoO Champion Steve Kinser in next year’s field. It will be the first time two WoO drivers will participate in the series in the same season. It will be the second-straight year that Lasoski will compete.

“When I got that phone call inviting me back to run IROC in 2003, I didn't think I could get more excited, until they told me Steve (Kinser) was also going to do it,” said Lasoski. “I learned so much last year and really gained a lot of respect for what it takes to race in a stock car. Knowing what I know now and having a partner like Steve to work with is just going be great, especially at places like Daytona and Talladega where you need a partner.”

Lasoski ran in only three of the four IROC races in 2002 due to injuries he sustained in late July while racing his WoO sprinter. His best finish of the season was a sixth at Daytona International Speedway. Long-time friend Ken Schrader sat in for Lasoski for the final race of the year at Indianapolis.

“I am really excited to go back to the full-bodied cars. All of the IROC guys like Jim Sauter and Dick Trickle have been helping me out a bunch. I know a lot more about what to expect this time around and I think I might surprise a few of these guys.”

Fans can always see the most up-to-date information on “The Dude” at www.dannylasoski.com.

Back