Let's get it together UMP!!!

dkdalaska

First Time Watching
With new leadership at UMP, hopefully this means they will get their act together!!! Revamp the entire way points are awarded. In all fairness every track awarding UMP points must be done the same, i.e. if one track times-in cars...all must do the same. If they pill draw...they all must pill draw, or if passing points are awarded...they all must do it. This way when the UMP national champion is crowned…he is truly the champ (not the guy that timed fast and started in the front on dry slick tracks). The next issue that must be addresses is all tracks can’t award the same point value for feature wins. If you race at a track that has thirty cars in the show the point value should be more for the feature win with 10 cars in the show. This is the only true way you can honestly call the UMP champion the champ--is to have a fair and level playing field for all!!!

My thoughts

Dave

your point is well understood, but how would u regulate the points being awarded for tracks that dont have the car count that others do.one answer i have, is to eliminate some of the tracks that are so close togeter. probebly not a good sugestion, but lets hear some sugestions..

I'm glad you asked. :D I would adopt a system that would award a last place finisher in the main event with 2 points. Each position further up in the finishing order would be awarded an additional 2 points. For example, if the feature started 12 cars, the winner would receive 24 points. If the feature started 24 cars, the winner would receive 48 points. That way, a driver who is ducking competition will not receive as many points as a driver finishing in the same position at a competition-laden track.

change

Let's see what this really is saying.
If you run at I-55 you get more points that if you run any place else.
I-55 is a good track and has many good drivers but it shouldn't be the track to give the most points. Highland and Mt.Vernon and the other tracks average about the same car count as each other give or take a couple of cars. I-55 closer to the St.Louis area and more cars to draw from has a larger car count. That is unless Mt.Vernon decides to do away with the steel block class and make them all run UMP then all of a sudden it's late model
care count goes from 16 to 18 ump to
28 to 40 cars. Points may need to be changed but not by the amount of cars that show up at a track.
UMP does need to make changes like letting drivers us radios for safety and cost if a team could let a driver know his care is in trouble it could save alot of money on engine and other parts.

Points for amount of cars just won't work. If favors one track to another.

How about this idea.

1) You only get to score the first 24 events you compete in. Anything over and above that amount your racing for the purse only, not UMP points.

2) You must compete at at least 3 different tracks over the course of those 24 events.

3) You can only score 16 events at any one track.

4) Pill draw for start position. Timing systems not necessary.

5) No passing points. 20 Bonus points for clean sweeps, (heat, dash, feature.) Must have at least XXX amount of entries to run a dash; no dash, no bonus points. (Pick a number, whatever, 20, 22, 24? whatever, just pick a number that works)

Score it all like Doug suggested. Points for the number of cars competing doesnt favor any track, it rewards the guys who go where the competition may be tougher.

Keep in mind that the whole reason UMP was created was to be a way for the "average racer" to compete.

When you require that a racer travel and compete at three different tracks to get points, or when you punish a racer for competing at his hometown track against 10 late models rather than drive 100 miles to compete with 30 late models, that's defeating the original goal of UMP, isn't it?

There may be another way to award points, but don't punish a guy just because he doesn't want to travel or because his local track isn't pulling a huge car count.

Alot of this is well intentioned, but not really good ideas. THe only way you can fairly base, or wieght points based on car count would be to also have some racers count as two or three car count points. That would insure that compitition is factored in as well as quantity.

The best thing to do would be to count less nites, and stipulate some operating procedures. Still allow replacing bad finishes with better ones, but only count 40 races, or something like that.

Changing the tire rule to eliminate all but the LM 40 would be the most important and smartest thing they could do. If they wont do that, they should eliminate the 10 and 30.

UMP's goal sould be "car count" (and fan count).
The question is how to keep the lesser sucessful teams coming back and how to attract new teams.
If the same few drivers win all the time what is the incentive for the rest of the field and their fans to show back up?
Putting the fast 6 or 8 qualifiers in their own heat (dash) let some others win a heat. Pill draws sometimes put the fast cars together or in the rear which gives others a chance in the heats.
Any rule (pill draw) that chases away a big dog will likely attract several small dogs thus increase the car count. Many small dogs don't care about national points anyway.

One driver dominating a track may gain many national points but doesn't make entertaining racing.
How many tracks have as tight of a point battle as Peavly?

In my opinion.
* Extra points for large car counts
* Passing points added to feature points
* Each track determines its own line up and keeps its own points
* National points should be based on a formula of finishing position, starting position or passing points, and car count

Many tracks (and drivers) don't like to do any extra math. It seems that counting past ten (eleven for guys) invites errors. But some type of handicap scoreing may be necessary to keep the fans interested.

I know many ex-race fans that got bored with the sport.
Many of those are ex-drivers or crew members.

If the fans don't show up becouse some one wins all the time I don't think they're true race fans. Me I don't care who wins I just go to watch who ever shows up to run. I love the sounds of the cars and getting the mud slung on me...... just a race fan.

run 40s on the rear and all is well you know when Kenny is sleeping at the nascar track he's thinking of improving UMP LOL

Back