Local track teching

JHOP

A lot of people saying that the local tracks don't do any teching. I copied this from Fayette County Facebook. This is from this past Saturdays race. When Charlie mentions cheat it up he means the motor not the 2 barrel carb.

(We had 2 crate engines with wrong valve springs stock springs test at no more than 200 . These tested at 245 . Tested another crate it was legal 195. We r very serious about our tech. We have talked to motor builders gm and the tech for usra darlo. When u get caught u will run a 4412 2 barrell carb. Then u can cheat it up. This is for the rest of 2017. We put this in our rules so everyone should know this. We hate to do drivers so please don't put us in this situation. Thanks charlie.)

Last edited:
I guess now they will be at highland this week

Thats probably a fair assessment, since highland is more afraid of running off cars than making sure they are legal in the bmods (valve springs, lower balljoint mounting points, etc) & street stocks (engines, trailing arm lengths, etc)

It would be interesting to have a look at the cam profile too....

I'm showing it here at about 6 degrees advanced and it probably is in the stock engine more like 4 degrees advanced.

Stock 602.JPG

Thats probably a fair assessment, since highland is more afraid of running off cars than making sure they are legal in the bmods (valve springs, lower balljoint mounting points, etc) & street stocks (engines, trailing arm lengths, etc)
Not sure what they checked but they did tech street stocks last week

A lot of people saying that the local tracks don't do any teching. I copied this from Fayette County Facebook. This is from this past Saturdays race. When Charlie mentions cheat it up he means the motor not the 2 barrel carb.

(We had 2 crate engines with wrong valve springs stock springs test at no more than 200 . These tested at 245 . Tested another crate it was legal 195. We r very serious about our tech. We have talked to motor builders gm and the tech for usra darlo. When u get caught u will run a 4412 2 barrell carb. Then u can cheat it up. This is for the rest of 2017. We put this in our rules so everyone should know this. We hate to do drivers so please don't put us in this situation. Thanks charlie.)

Seems the same people get caught over and over, then try to blame the tools, the tech guy or the procedure. when the guy and tool tested a known legal spring then checked another and the pressure was 5o lb different, proofs in the pudding! One of same guys caught also had "Mystery Problem" with the rev limiter wire coming unplugged and also just so happened to have cleared the tach coming off the track so no one could see max rpm. One of those sets of springs also WAS caught at Humbolt Kansas, also his brother got caught at Flora at a 10,000 dollar race with the same problem. No names mentioned but maybe dad should throw that set of springs away so they don't accidentally show up on another motor again. BTW coil bind is the same no matter where the cam is.

The real problem is. That they don't do it to the drivers that it should be done to if those drivers are a fan or track favorites they won't do it just to the small guy and hope they find something so it looks like they are doing something

I thought I remembered hearing them busted last year

What if you got busted cheating in the B mods you had to run as an a mod at that track the rest of the year

I thought I remembered hearing them busted last year

What if you got busted cheating in the B mods you had to run as an a mod at that track the rest of the year

It was at Flora last year. And earlier this year at the race out west.

Seems the same people get caught over and over, then try to blame the tools, the tech guy or the procedure. when the guy and tool tested a known legal spring then checked another and the pressure was 5o lb different, proofs in the pudding! One of same guys caught also had "Mystery Problem" with the rev limiter wire coming unplugged and also just so happened to have cleared the tach coming off the track so no one could see max rpm. One of those sets of springs also WAS caught at Humbolt Kansas, also his brother got caught at Flora at a 10,000 dollar race with the same problem. No names mentioned but maybe dad should throw that set of springs away so they don't accidentally show up on another motor again. BTW coil bind is the same no matter where the cam is.

Coil bind?

I watched that video and I'd like to mention a few things... First of all; in the instructions that come with that tool it says that it is intended for use with roller rocker arms. If you're going to check the seat load always have the opposite valve in a near fully open position so that you know the valve being tested is fully closed.

Lastly that tool is NOT intended to ever check open load on the spring only the seat loads. Using it as shown the person testing the spring has ZERO way to know how close he is to coil bind which is irrelevant anyway. The spring needs to be compressed to the height it sees as max valve lift, no more, no less.

Bind heights can vary GREATLY between the springs in a given set. Looking at data that I have on file from a set of springs very similar to the ones in question shows a variation of .044 in coil bind height among 16 springs. That's a LOT of difference.

In order to do this test correctly they need to remove a random spring, check the height at which it is installed on the engine and then test it from that height to its height at max lift and record the loads. This will tell the tale. If it reads out of spec take off another spring and repeat. Otherwise the test and the tech inspection is meaningless. When I test springs I use the Performance Trends Spring Tester and I test all of the springs from free height to coil bind which can yield a lot of interesting information.

I'm not saying that they are legal or not but this test if it was done as shown in the video certainly can't be relied on to determine legality.

Back