Malibu ?

melissa_383454

This is just a normal car question. A co-worker of mine has a 2002 Chevy Malibu with a 3.1. Her coolant lite sparaticly comes on and off and when she will take it in the shop they will have to just top it off. The other problem she is having is that she waits for the temp gauge to get up and turns her heat on. But even 1/2 way up ready for heat area, it still takes about 5 minutes for it to start blowing hot air. When she comes to a stop though her heat starts to blow cold air.

I have some ideas, but would like some opinions before tearing it apart.

Yep intake gasket most likely is the cause. Check the water pump as well. Has a weep hole in the front and are known to leak when it gets cold like this. Also...check the radiator on the sides. Big problem with those leaking..or seeping. The low coolant probably is causing air bubbles in the system and is why the heat doesnt work good. Some gm motors required special procedure to get these air bubbles out if the coolant gets too low or is replaced. I just take the thermostat housing off..fill the block up and go from there. Any more advice needed...holler.

try the bleeder

If the 3100 is like the 3400 v6 there is a bleeder valve above the thremastat housing.

3100 and 3400

Yes, the 31 and 3400 both have the same setup. There is as bleeder on the thermostat housing and one on top of the water pump housing (being at opposite ends of the engine).
These engines are notorious for intake leaks. No real harm while it is leaking to the outside( as long as you keep the coolant full), however over time it will start leaking internally. When that happens, your gonna need an engine most likely. I saw one that seeped a cylinder full while sitting, and the next time they tried to start it, it literally blew the upper plenum off the engine. Another leaked into the oil and wiped out the mains.
In the past few months, I have changed 10 of these gaskets, on everything from Grand Ams to Venture vans. If you are near SE MO, I can do it relatively cheap.
Hope this helps, Derek

Back