Message from Curley

It seems to me that some people need to take a basic math course to understand about how a business works. In order for a business to survive you need to take in a little more money than you pay out. In our case it's just the opposite. We constantly pay out more than we take in.

Once again Mother Nature delt us a bad spring wiht much more rain than we needed or just at the wrong times. By my records, Friday June 27th was the only time we called the races due to the threat of bad weather, and it didn't rain at the track. It rained all around us, (the track was already bad from the Thursday night rain) it poured 2 miles from the track. With severe thunderstorm warnings in Madison and surrounding counties, until 8pm. It was a tough call to make. But it's all about the money. We couldn't take the chance for a rain out. For instance, on June 6th, it looked like rain, and once again there was rain all around us, but we decided to give it a try, and what happened???. We ended up with 30 cars to race, 88 paid in the pits and 188 paid in the grandstands. Where were the cars then? When aksed, most said it was raining where they were and assumed it would be called off. Due to low crowds, low car count, and low concessions, the track went in the hole $1600 that night. Not many small businesses can afford to loose $1600 in one week. So far this season the track has been in the red every race, due to low car count, low crowds and low concessions. Money can really run short when you're trying to improve the facility and put on a race program. Anne and I both work full time jobs and put all the money we can in the track to make it better. For financial reasons we have had to make some adjustments, and we don't like it either. But we have to do what we have to do. I don't know many people that would be willing to try to keep something going if they knew that every week they were going to have to take some of their pay and savings to make pay outs for a business, especially when all you do is get hammered for every little mistake that comes along. We bought the track to try to keep racing alive in our area. The only thing that hurts the track is low crowds, low car count and low concessions. We know fuel prices have burdened everyone, so we try not to have people drive and spend fuel money only to be rained out after they are here. Rain outs after a show has started is a loss for EVERYONE! If classes get cut, it's because the cars don't show. The track doesn't go anywhere. It is prepped every week for racing. The cars need to show up. Bad mouthing us or the track doesn't bring cars in. No cars, no track.
Hopefully this will make sense to most people that ready this, others may never understand. Bottom line is folks, we'd love to see 15+ cars in each class and a full crowd of fans to watch, so everyone can enjoy a night at the races. It's a shame that a few try to create problems for the track verbally, when in fact most of the response from the people we talk to face to face, enjoy the racing, and most of the committed drivers really like the track. So let's all get along and support the track, even if it's only verbally. This was not intended to bash anyone, only to enlighted people with questions. I appreciate your time in reading this message.
Curley

There can be no question that high fuel prices and bad weather have conspired to wreak havoc with the schedule this season so far. I must admit that when it looks like rain, I'm not willing to drive 100 miles to see a show that might not happen. I watch both the radar and this board very closely on race days. I believe many of the drivers probably feel the same way, especially since their fuel cost is often way more than mine. Ditto for the fans. As for a basic math course, well I have a masters degree in business and you're right, you can't stay in business very long by losing money - at least I haven't figured out a way to do it. (Well, maybe as a tax loss written off against earned income, but I digress.) I, for one, and I'm sure there are many more, really appreciate you and Anne keeping the track open and making the quality improvements you have made. I have a sweet spot a mile wide for the Rock and I've NEVER seen it looking better - going back to the late 1950's. I'm afraid the fuel cost is going to remain high the rest of the season, but with any luck maybe the rain will subside. If so, then maybe the car count will edge up and along with it the crowds. As they say, "If you build it, they will come." Good luck with the rest of the season. Hope to be back in the stands at the Rock soon - without my umbrella!

Well said to you Tom, and you also Curley

These facts are completely understood,and already known to some extent before I posted. You cant be making $$ This early... Its nearly impossible considering the facts. The Rock has been unstable of and on due to lack of, and uninvested $ for years. The class changes were made, to help promote unity with local tracks, and $ situations. Dollars are short no matter where you go this year. From the top to the bottom, we cant afford to waste $.The ONLY complaint I have is what some see as the lack of desire, or enthusiasum to race. In my opinion... based on past experiences at Fredericktown, where I have donated my time worked for one promoter for nothing for 4 years, and given constant hours since. Very few of which have been with the current administration. What got me fired up, (not mad at you or Curley; Anne), was what appeared to be no commitment to putting on races. Why did I come down so hard? Because I along with others see a pattern. If you become inconsistent or undependable, racers will find other places to go.. I dont want that... But if I cant depend on the track I want to go to opening under fair weather conditions, which we had, what can I depend on? How can I invest my $$ to draw more cars to help the track when we dont race, and could have. Maybe we were crazy back when we donated our time for hours on a thursday after 3 days of rain to be able to race on Friday.. Consistency is the best thing that can be done to pull cars, and fans. Well $$ help too, but we are all short on that, so lets stick with what we can do for now. Your core nucleus of people who butter what bread you have, are there every week. Racers fans, and pit crew. Tick off those, as few as they may be, and you are in trouble.. Where it hurts, $$$. And believe me when I say that these opinions are mine and that of MANY others.. Racers, and crew who want to race, and traveled many more miles last friday, and 2 fridays before,and spent many more $$ just to race somewhere. It will take alot of promotion, and $ to get the track where it will sustain itself. We all know that!! But in the meantime dont cut your throat... Please...

Consistency is the best thing that can be done to pull cars, and fans. Well $$ help too, but we are all short on that, so lets stick with what we can do for now. Your core nucleus of people who butter what bread you have, are there every week. Racers fans, and pit crew. Tick off those, as few as they may be, and you are in trouble..

I couldn't agree more, Jason.

help them

Each Track Owner Pays Alot Of Money Each Weekend To Put A Program Together If It Has Rained More Money To Get The Track Together. If There Is A Threat Of Rain, Then The Owner Takes A Chance To Loose Both Ways. I Suggest Then Since You Cannot Please Everyone All The Time, Then You Get A Hold All Of The Drivers That Race There, Have A Meeting To Agree On To Race Or Not To Race. If You Race And It Starts To Rain Then The Track Keeps All The Pit Fees For That Night And Then We All Go Home No Matter What.racing Is Suppose To Be For Fun, If You Are Getting Upset Because They Cancel A Show Because Of Weather,, I Think We All Need To Take A Step Back And Look At Our Surroundings. At Least God Has Made A Way For Us To Race, So Be Thankful For That. There Is Always Tomorrow. Things Could Be Worse.. Everytime I Come On This Site, There Are A Few Peole Always Cutting Down Fredricktown Raceway. If You Don't Like The Way Things Are Run, Then Help Them, Support Them Financially, Morally, And Respectfully. If You Are That Well Off, Then Purchase The Track And Run It The Way You Feel It Needs To Go. I Don't Know Any Of These Track Owners, But Instead Of *****ing At Them, Why Don't You Support Them. This My 2 Cents................................................;)

How about running demo derbys once a month after the races to help get more people in the stands.

It helped St. Charles back in the 80's.

Start out with a small entry fee & pit pass and use the entry fee to pay the winner. Keep it small so you don't get all the traveling derby drivers. It will take awhile but you will get some fans that may not have come there for the races.

thanks

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and offered help. All will be sincerely considered.:)

God Bless and HAPPY FOURTH of JULY!

Kayee & the gang at "THE ROCK"

Here's another idea, both to boost interest and raise money. How about having one (or more) two seater cars which fans can pay to ride in? Cars could be ones no longer being raced with a seat added. One representing each full size class would really be cool. I'm sure there are insurance considerations, but there are also waivers. Rides could be after hot laps, during intermission, even after the races are over. All I can say is I'd pay for a ride along; bet others would too. Just a thought. Happy 4th of July right back at you!

Good idea, Axeman.

We mentioned doing this very thing to Kayee. We have done this with the GVRA cars for fundraisers(Raffling rides). It does go over very well. We are planning to put a passenger seat in the #25 coupe before we come back to the "Rock". I would be willing to donate some laps to help out the track on our next visit...Just auction for some rides and get the word out ahead of time to stir some interest. I could probably get Marc McClintock involved as well, he has the #61 Studebaker coupe equipped with a seat as well.

Getting the kids fired up is another positive for the track. If there's something that gets them wanting to be there every night, they'll keep the parents going. Get a kids club going, and give a certain amount of them rides during intermission. Look at the popularity of this at I-55. We (GVRA) gave kiddie rides at DRR one night last year and we didn't stop until every kid (who wanted to) got to go for a ride. There must've been a hundred of 'em, lol...

Axeman's idea takes it a step farther... It would be simple and relatively inexpensive to do. Especially if you can get your regular racers involved. You wouldn't have to have full blown race cars. A stock engine and tranny in a latemodel or modified chassis would be fine. Still gonna get around the track plenty quick and the rider isn't gonna notice a slower lap time when there's only one car on the track...;)

Thanks guys

Great ideas and with FROGGY involved now with the track, we can REALLY get the word out. See this is what it's all about....Us ALL work together to help the track instead of bashing us and each other. Will talk to Curley about your ieas and offers to help. I know I sure could use help and ideas getting this Jr. Fan club off the ground. Curley is letting me use the tower roon down stairs for the Jr. fan club. So anytime ANY off you fell the neeed to come over and help me get it ready, just give me a call:D. I will be looking for some file cabnets and a desk and some help registering the kids. See how AWESOME you all are! KODOS TO YOU ALL!!!!!:)

Thanks,
Kayee

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Great ideas and with FROGGY involved now with the track, we can REALLY get the word out. See this is what it's all about....Us ALL work together to help the track instead of bashing us and each other. Will talk to Curley about your ieas and offers to help. I know I sure could use help and ideas getting this Jr. Fan club off the ground. Curley is letting me use the tower roon down stairs for the Jr. fan club. So anytime ANY off you fell the neeed to come over and help me get it ready, just give me a call:D. I will be looking for some file cabnets and a desk and some help registering the kids. See how AWESOME you all are! KODOS TO YOU ALL!!!!!:)

Thanks,
Kayee

Here's another idea, both to boost interest and raise money. How about having one (or more) two seater cars which fans can pay to ride in? Cars could be ones no longer being raced with a seat added. One representing each full size class would really be cool. I'm sure there are insurance considerations, but there are also waivers. Rides could be after hot laps, during intermission, even after the races are over. All I can say is I'd pay for a ride along; bet others would too. Just a thought. Happy 4th of July right back at you!
Tom..I had that covered till the decision was made not to run ministocks. It took me a few months to get a purestreet that was able to be modified for that, but bought it last week. i am busy for the next few weeks, then I'll try and get to it one weekend.I will also rent the car out. We take it to the track, and set it up, you drive. havent set up the $$ or anything, but it will be a 2 seater!

Curley & Anne

Would it be possible to maybe have a small meeting some evening, like maybe a Tuesday or Thursday for those of us who sincerely care about F'town track and its success, as you do, where we could discuss our ideas. I think it would be better for everyone to meet in person where we could get our thoughts, as well as yours, heard clearer and get immediately feedback on what would or would not work and why without someone misunderstanding and arguments getting started. It would also give you a chance to let the racers and fans know your intent more directly and for the racers and fans to let you know what they would like to see, if possible, and what we are willing to do to help you. There have been some goods ideas thrown around already, maybe we can help you get them off the ground. It just seems easier to accomplish things face to face rather than inconsistent messages.

Anne, I will pm you my phone number. If you need help in any way with the Jr. Fan Club, just let me know.

Shawnda

Thanks for the offer!

Would it be possible to maybe have a small meeting some evening, like maybe a Tuesday or Thursday for those of us who sincerely care about F'town track and its success, as you do, where we could discuss our ideas. I think it would be better for everyone to meet in person where we could get our thoughts, as well as yours, heard clearer and get immediately feedback on what would or would not work and why without someone misunderstanding and arguments getting started. It would also give you a chance to let the racers and fans know your intent more directly and for the racers and fans to let you know what they would like to see, if possible, and what we are willing to do to help you. There have been some goods ideas thrown around already, maybe we can help you get them off the ground. It just seems easier to accomplish things face to face rather than inconsistent messages.

Anne, I will pm you my phone number. If you need help in any way with the Jr. Fan Club, just let me know.

Shawnda

Shawnda, I will be taking care of the Jr. Fan club and would VERY MUCH appreciate your help or anyones help. I also want to try and get the foster children involved(raise money to buy then Christmas gifts thru the Jr. Fan club). And I DO NEED HELP. Please anyone that is willing to help feel Free to call me at....573-783-6683.....

WE WILL MAKE THIS ALL WORK, PULLING :DTOGETHER!

Back