Modifieds

shredxcam

So last week i heard that one of the marty smiths(55)? drove their B mod in the A mods A main. He didn't finish BUT he was running with the pack and didn't get left in the dust. What are the lap times between the 2 classes at highland? Wonder if in the slick if a B mod could get a win or top 5. He was blocked by 2-3 wide racing quite a bit so that doesn't help. Its kinda like that IMCA car that won down in florida this winter. I would think at an even smaller track like belleville, they run even closer and i know some B mods have signed up for the race at the Dome this winter. Imagine if the A and B mod classes combined how many cars there would be. Arnt some tracks like Tri city just an A mod with a 2 barrel?

Also, who was running that vintage modified at the tail end of the field?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_SRnxhWIK0

That's Fireball in his 25 car. I believe he said the 27 was pretty much done after last weeks wreck.

Some of the top running B-Mods could definitely outrun a lot of A-Mods.. A lot of it comes down to setup and some very good drivers driving some of the B-Mods.

On some of the smaller tracks, it is possible a B-Mod could win an A-Mod feature just like there used to be some crate late models win super late model features.

WHAHOO finished second in his B mod @ Bellville last year in the A mod class -- the late (LOL) 27 was a 100% legal B Mod -- the 25 car is a rare Rayburn mod with a odd rear suspension .. need to let the tec guys look at it to see if I can run B mod with some conversion .. I transferred the old wore out 350 -old wore out tires and the old wore out driver to the 25 car...

There is a lot of the b-mod guys that can out run the a-mod cars. It just goes to show you that with all the horse power some of the a-mod guys have you don't need. It is not only on small tracks. Saturday at Charleston some of the b-mods cars was turning quicker lap times then the a-mods. I actually think quick time in the b-mod class would have made the fast 6 in the a-mod's. A lot of it comes down to set-up and drivers ability. The b-mod class is a great class of cars I am not sure what people think that class is but to me that is one of the biggest classes in UMP I bet. One thing the tracks need to remember is if the have a b-mod license's they can not run with the a-mod's but if the have an a-mod license's they can run with the b-mods. I just wish UMP would do something to make it where you can tell an a-mod from a b-mod. What are others thoughts on this?

My issue with the bmod class is just as you said-there is almost no difference other than a carburetor. Thats it. My opinion and ive said this before-the bmods should be a cheap start class. 3 links or leafs only. Allied sportman motor rules should apply. No berts brinns. Should be 3 spd's or automatics. I know ive had people say it cost them as much for a 3 spd and clutch than a bert. Ummm i personally just set up a 3spd setup for a street stock. Had 125 in the trans. 125 in the clutch. Hyd throw out was 75 and master cylinder we got out of the boneyard for 5 bucks. Thats 330 out the door. And those 3 spds are still out there all over the place. Yes one day that will change but as of now still a cheaper route. Anyway its all about saving money. But people griped and basically wanted to drop down a class without changing their 4 bars. Or they knew of a good 4 bar car that they wanted but didnt want to run as an A mod. People can say what they want but thats it in a nutshell. Well that and tracks didnt want to turn people away so they just opened the rules up to allow just about anything to come in as long as its got one of them there 4412 holley's on her. Well unless your running a crate-whole other argument. But yea i personally think b mods should run like a passenger car lookin body. Mix it up! Make them look like the old sportsman's. And you can get reproduction panels cheap! Slow them down a little. Speed=dollar signs!

Hate to say it but. Imca I believe doesn't allow 4 bar sport mods

I thought only a few tracks in the area allowed 4 bar like tri city

360 inch no bigger, 3 bar, j bar only, no pull spring, steel head only, 4412 carb is best u can run.. thr is a lot of difference.. yes some b mods can run with the a mods especially at smaller tracks. But I got around 6 grand total in my b mod, u can't win in a mod class with that. Tri city is only track that I know u can run 4 bar.. if u build a b mod motor right u can get 500 or a bit more out of them but that's far from the 800 the winning a mods have

If u read in the ump rules must mount from frame to other side of rear end guess u can run a pan hard bar but I think must everyone does the j bar could b wrong ... then the shock packages are 2 totally different things from a to b mods..

Our local tracks have done a GREAT job listening to the RACERS in the bmod class(for the most part) and have a good middle ground with the rules where we can make a few minor changes and run anywhere close. Props to i-55 bc tri cityy and SFCR. Only mistake imo is the chain thing at pevely..only had two heats every night since they announced they're enforcing that rule.

Our local tracks have done a GREAT job listening to the RACERS in the bmod class(for the most part) and have a good middle ground with the rules where we can make a few minor changes and run anywhere close. Props to i-55 bc tri cityy and SFCR. Only mistake imo is the chain thing at pevely..only had two heats every night since they announced they're enforcing that rule.
Im not complaining about the "unified rules". But as i said thats not what the class was meant to be. Go east. Go west. Go down south and b mods are an "econo class". 3 bars and leaf cars rule. Wasnt meaning any disrespect to the current rules.

Disagree..not sure how u can say that's what the class was meant to be, considering the growth we've seen the last two seasons..Stating what you believe they were "meant to be" is complaining. Also I completely disagree with your configuring of the estimated costs of these things. I've ran a stock clutch and three speed with a ford 9" for the last 6 seasons and spent a TON of money replacing that shit because it won't hold up thru much adversity. (Maybe when everything's perfect but how often is that) This year being able to run a Bert, with a Qc I've seen for myself that sure the racing equipment may cost a little more to begin with but in time AND money it doesn't take long to even out. So thankful we can run those now.

Im not complaining about the "unified rules". But as i said thats not what the class was meant to be. Go east. Go west. Go down south and b mods are an "econo class". 3 bars and leaf cars rule. Wasnt meaning any disrespect to the current rules.
Only TriCity and SFCR allow 4 link.. None of the other tracks in the area do.

Thats what i thought.

Im pretty sure IMCA and USRA also do not allow 4 link cars. does 4 link make a big difference in speed? i do not know that answer. is the push to allow 4 link cars due to more chassis available?

I think it would be interesting to see lap times and such from 4 link, leaf, metric, swing arm.......

Last edited:
Only TriCity and SFCR allow 4 link.. None of the other tracks in the area do.
Everyone says all ya gott do is change a little to go from track to track. Takes quite a bit to swap a 3 link to a 4 link. Been there done that. My point was 4 links shouldnt be allowed period as all the other tracks donot allow them. I realize it makes tech a whole lot easier but just to throw a 2 bbl on an a mod and go b mod racing to me personally means the rules are too close. Im not harping nor complaining. But this is just like the sportsmans years ago. We all started saying "hey this is dumb. We are so close to the street stock class since they keep getting upgrades its not funny." 5 yrs later and the sportsmans are all but gone and the street stock class is failing too. Same problem. I love the b mods personally and they have great car counts. But granite had 17 a mods and over 20 b mods. Some of the b's could run with the a's. Too close between the 2 classes. Ive always thought about dollars and sense so thats just my views on the deal. As i stated. Look east. Look west. Look south. Bigger difference in the two classes than around here. I realize my opinion is just that and im sure differs from some which is why we have forums like this to talks about those things. Although my minds is made up i still respect others ideas. As racers we need to keep the lines of communication open(once again-biggest reason the sportsman class went byebye!)

Last edited:
Thats what i thought.

Im pretty sure IMCA and USRA also do not allow 4 link cars. does 4 link make a big difference in speed? i do not know that answer. is the push to allow 4 link cars due to more chassis available? What if they just make a truck arm or some sort of suspension adapter to make it not 4 bar?

I think it would be interesting to see lap times and such from 4 link, leaf, metric, swing arm.......
The 4 bar cars can get in and off the corners better. Eilers runs an3 bar car with a crate. Now he gets to run a 4 bbl too-no comment on that but it all ads up when seconds count. He is a damn good driver too. Cant take that away from him for sure. Leafs i think would be a second slower easily. They handle really good on slick tracks but a good sticky track and a 4 bar will outpull him. Ive seen it out east many of times. But still very fast for sure

Back