Montgomery, Kennedy, Greenwalt and Buchholz opening night winners at SFCR

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Jeff Mills
FARMINGTON, Mo. -- (April 5, 2003) Joey Montgomery of Fredericktown grabbed the lead away from Jimmy Moughan of Springfield, Ill. early in the 25-lap sprint car feature Saturday night at the St. Francois County Raceway and stretched that lead into his first feature victory of the 2003 racing season.

Moughan started on the pole with Joey’s older brother Tim on his outside, but an early incident put the elder Montgomery out of the event and opened the door for Joey to make his early pass. Moughan held on to take second place with third going to Tommy Worley Jr., fourth to Bob Thoman and fifth to Bryan Matthews. They were followed by Jason Hunt, Timmy Moss, Keith Burch, Ted Adams and Greg Burns.

Steve Short won the first heat with Moughan second and Moss third. Worley Jr. won the second heat with Tim Montgomery second and Rod Crabdree third. Joey Montgomery won the third heat with Jason Keith second and Matthews third. Moughan was the winner of the dash with Tim Montgomery second.

In the Modified class, Kenny Kennedy of Fredericktown picked up the checkered flag in the feature with Tommy Worley Sr. taking second place, Mike Crader third, Robert Powers fourth and Pete Koenig fifth. They were followed by Matt Zimmerly, Jim Swift, Dan Zander, Mitch Parmley and Doug Brewster. The feature race was plagued with numerous yellow flags including one that was brought out due to a nasty accident that involved both Tim Hill and Billy Smith. Despite that huge amount of damage done to both vehicles, both drivers were reportedly unhurt.

Kennedy won the first heat with Crader second and Koenig third. Hill won the second heat with Parmley second and Jeff Canterberry third. Smith won the third heat with Worley Sr. second and Zander third.

In the Hobby Stock class, Jeremy Greenwalt of Potosi captured only his second career feature win by holding off Kasey Nations and defending track champion Chuck Adams in the feature. Nations finished second with Adams third, Doug Savage fourth and Randy Forster fifth.

Adams won the first heat race with Billy Mayberry second and Savage third. Greenwalt won the second heat with Mark Howell third.

In the 600cc Multi class, Blake Buchholz was the feature winner with Junior Ferguson taking second place, Derek O’Dell third, Lance McKinney fourth and Joey Boyd fifth. They were followed by Brad Loyet, Jimmy Bridgeman, Carter Buckley, Casey Barnhouse, Matt Dodson and Tyler Thompson.

Thompson won the first heat race with Josh Kennedy second and Barnhouse third. Ferguson won the second heat with Bess second and Boyd third. Buchholz won the third heat with McKinney second and Shawn Merritt third.

Racing action at the St. Francois County Raceway in Farmington will take one week off, but will return to action on Saturday, April 19th. Gates will open at 4 p.m. with racing at 7. For more information on the St. Francois County Raceway visit it’s official website at: http://jeff.mills.tripod.com/sfcr.html or phone (573) 756-1734.

I was at and raced Farmington saturday night in the Modified class, It was crazy, They were all racing like it was the last race of the year and for the championship. There was more than one car torn up really bad. Molly told everyone to take it easy for the first night but did anyone listen NO ! I was hit from behind by someone who must not know how to use their brakes. It destroyed my bumper, fuelcell, new body decking, and quarter panel.
Oh one more thing. I started the feature and did about 10 laps and pulled off due to overheating. When I went to pick up my $50.00 starting the feature check I was only payed $25.00 whats up with that? It was really disapointing to say the least.
Well I done griping how so I will stop.

Kevin Hulsey
# 11 Modified
khulsey01@charter.net

P.S. Can you forward this to jeff mills for me also?

Back