Mooneyham obtains Boliver and Lebanon I-44

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Monday, November 25, 2002

by Larry Olson
REPUBLIC MO. Randy Mooneyham, owner and promoter of the Monett Speedway, has come to terms with the family of the late Bill Willard, to take over operations of the family’s two tracks located in Lebanon and Boliver, Missouri. With the change, the Midway Speedway will return to it’s former name, the Lebanon I-44 Speedway.

After speculation that the two tracks would not open in 2003, Mooneyham and the Willard family came to terms late last week for Mooneyham operate both facilities. Both tracks had been 3/8 mile asphalt facilities, but the Boliver Speedway had been converted to dirt for 2002. For 2003, Boliver will continue with its dirt configuration, and the Lebanon 1-44 Speedway will be covered with dirt, returning it to dirt for the first time since 1988.

Mooneyham is excited about the opportunity. “I can’t say enough about the facilities that Bill Willard built, and I’m very excited about continuing the tradition that both tracks have built over the years. Boliver was successful as a dirt track last year, and bringing the dirt back to Lebanon is something that I’m really looking forward to.”

The three tracks weekly programs will be run with Boliver staying on Friday nights, Lebanon I-44 racing on Saturdays, and the Monett Speedway will return to Sunday Night racing after running weekly on Friday’s the last few seasons. “We’ll feature Late Models and Modifieds at all three tracks weekly, and probably go with Factory Stocks and Bombers at Boliver and Lebanon. Our support classes will stay the same at Monett.” stated Mooneyham.

Mooneyham announced a driver’s meeting for any interested drivers that will be held at the Mills Center in Lebanon on Sunday, December 8. The meeting will be held at 2pm, and topics for discussion will be rules, schedules, and all upcoming events. Mooneyham has introduced the O’Reilly Auto Parts Mid-America Racing Series to the Monett Speedway in 2001, and two successful events were held at Boliver in 2002. Mooneyham announced that there would be M.A.R.S. scantioned events at all three tracks, with more details to be announced in the upcoming weeks.

I can't believe I44 back to dirt. There are enough dirt tracks. So what about the loyal racers that have ran asphalt sinced 1988. They also have brought in many a crowd. Oh well you'll find that you just might have lost a great fan base.

this is crap. now they have just killed asphalt racing in most of illinois and missouri on a local level. we have alot of useless equipment now that is either sold or wasted. thanks for nothing but good old grrrrreeeeeeddddd. i hope nobody races at those tracks and shut them all down. i apologize to the racers who run those tracks and i have the upmost respect for all drivers, but this comment is directed to the owners and promoters who think that they will get a good showing at all three tracks on three different nights.

With the promotional prowess of Randy Mooneyham this will be a good deal for everyone. YOu can run on dirt for the same money as you can asphalt. I dont know if it will be cheaper but there are classes for everyone. As for car counts, I think they will be good. There are plenty of mods, streets and bombers in the area. I think the low counts are goin to be the lates. But they will still about 15+ in my estimation. With two tracks not 40 minutes from each other last year BOlivar had avg 10 cars, and Wheatland had 20+ each night, so the cars are there. Myself Im goin to Lebanon on saturday nights. As for sundays dont know yet. If anyone can make it work, its Randy. I wish him the best, and he has all of his Monett regulars behind him Im sure.

Chris

good deal for everyone??? what about all the asphalt drivers in the area that now have thousands of dollars of useless racing equipment, or will spend a fortune to drive 5 hours just to get to a track??? is that a good deal. this is a H U G H screw in the pooper.

RUDY PU RACING,
Are you guys going to travel out to I-70 next season? I was wondering if there would be any other St. Louis people out there. For me, Hawkeye Downs would be the next closest with similar rules for a modified. Please e-mail me at jgornet@earthlink.net.

John

not sure, tom is looking to get a craftsman truck but sponsorship is the main issue, mabey getting into a dirt sprint car for 2003 to play with.

Back