Mopar's Drake Looking For Music City Mojo

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Center Line, Mich. - Jay Drake and the No. 20 Mopar team from Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises will be looking for some Music City mojo this weekend as they roll into the Music City Motorplex in Nashville, Tenn., for the USAC National Sprint Car Series "Music City 150." Featuring two 77-lap features and offering a $25,000 bonus to the driver who can pull off the double, Drake and his team know that that the race provides an opportunity to set the tone for the season.

"So much of racing is momentum," Drake said. "When a team can come off a big win like this would be, it can be a big help in creating momentum. A win like this would especially help set the stage early in the season."

The event also marks Drake's debut in the No. 20 Mopar machine after his predecessor, J.J. Yeley, vacated the seat to move on to Joe Gibbs' NASCAR stable.

While Drake is aware that a certain level of expectation comes along with taking over the reins of the No. 20, he is confident that the team will prove its prowess early on in the season.

"We know that we've got big shoes to fill," Drake said. "The No. 20 Mopar team has only been in business one year, and it has a 100% success ratio. I know that it's up to me to keep that success rolling, and I think that we'll be able to do so working together as a team"

Drake and company are also looking at the big picture for the 2004 racing season, and they've set their sights on the USAC National Sprint Car Series championship. The team will keep a steady pace that forefronts consistency, beginning in Nashville this weekend.

"For the most part, if you win races, you'll win the championship," Drake said. "The team that wins races is the team that gets the title. Not always, but for the most part it seems to work out that way. Starting this weekend in Nashville, we're going after wins and the USAC National Sprint Car Series title."

Mopar is based in Center Line, Mich., and is the exclusive original equipment supplier of parts and accessories for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® vehicles.

Back