Need Info on Standard Trans

Racer28

Lets talk Dirt Racin
I purchased a Transmission from a swap meet in hopes it was something I could use.I need help in figuring this thing out to see what gear it has.
All I know is that it's the shortest Trans I've ever seen.
I was told it was a three speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
thanks!!!

place the trans in any forward gear. mark both the input and output shafts in relationship to the case. rotate the output shaft SLOWLY 10 full turns and COUNT the input shaft rotation. now divide input by the output and waaalaaa! example: 10 turns out/16.8 input = 1.68 gear for THAT gear only. do that for all the gears and you will know all the ratio's for that box. note: high gear is usually 1 to 1. as far as make and model of box. need to see some #s on the case.

web sites

Thanks for the cool z_28 site.Unfortunately the Trans is not listed.

The other sites didn't bring up anything about cars or Trans.

I'll try cking the ratio's as racertech suggested otherwise list the cast #'s\

Thanks for the help:)

short trans

most of the short trannys were out of 1/2 ton trucks in the late 50's thru the 60's column shift. 90% of them were 1.68 2nd gear with 2.20 1st gear.

Sounds like the old "potbelly" Saginaw. The majority of ones I've seen have a 1.75 2nd gear. If the shifter arms look unusual, then it's probably a potbelly Sag. And yes, you can use 'em for racin.

Thanks!!!!

The shifter arm is very unusual.I was told it came out of a truck & it has a big belly on it.I'll still do the test but at least i know its good to use.:D

Thanks for all replies!

did the test

Performed the ratio test.

1st= 1.94 ? is this right?
2nd=1.72
3rd=1 to 1

Please reply if this sounds correct!

Thanks again Racertech

Back