New tax in illinois-call your local lawmakers!

racin90

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/100/SB/10000SB0009sam001.htm Essentially its an "entertainment" tax. 5% enterance fee tax. Pit passes and general admission sales will take a hit. This goes to all entertainment assemblies. Jacksonville just posted this and im just relaying whats going on. They tried to pass a 1% soda tax which was withdrawn and now this is their new answer

$30 pit pass gets taxed at $1.50. Does the track absorb that or does it change to $32 or $31.50? $12 weekly show ticket gets taxed at 60 cents. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 60 cents that someone inside the grounds is going to have to pay.... you the fan or us the track. So what it if's another $500-750 per night expense for the track? All we need to do is sell 600 more sodas per night than we did last year to make up for it.

This is an added expense to a typical track of somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 per season depending on the track - that does nothing to increase attendance or revenue or help the sport in any way. In fact it hurts both.

At the end of the day this tax if passed is going to end up being absorbed by the customers just like any other tax... and that's you the racer and race fan. You might not notice it because the ticket might not say "Amusement Tax + $2.00" like at the grocery store... but it will end up in the final math a track does when deciding what to charge and what to pay the racer.

I know a tax like this exists in Missouri and it's unfortunate that the Missouri tracks have to work under that extra weight already. But you can keep this one West of the Mississippi. We have more than our share of taxes on our side of the river already.

Let your Illinois State Senator know that you are against paying an additional tax to watch races, to join a hunting or fishing club, to go to a concert or ball game or for most anything else you do for "amusement". This bill is expected to move quick... with a Senate vote within the next week or two.

Last edited:
Illinois is the worst run state in the U.S. as far as budget and taxes go. Politicians misappropriate funds and just levy more or new taxes to do the same with.

Missouri has had a 8% tax for awhile but their gas property and sale taxes are way cheaper than illinios is. Some places sales tax is 4.5%. So this tax just adds up to an illinois persons budget to goto entertainment venues.

[QUOTE="racin90, post: 902127, member: They tried to pass a 1% soda tax which was withdrawn and now this is their new answer[/QUOTE]
Are you sure this was withdrawn?
Today I heard an ad in opposition of this (beverage) tax that seemed to be up to date.

THANX RICH

[QUOTE="racin90, post: 902127, member: They tried to pass a 1% soda tax which was withdrawn and now this is their new answer
Are you sure this was withdrawn?
Today I heard an ad in opposition of this (beverage) tax that seemed to be up to date.

THANX RICH[/QUOTE]
From the way it reads now illinois as a whole has let it go but counties are going to vote on it. I hear cook county already has it in place

I-55 does pay an 8.35% sales tax on all tickets sold..
Yes and they also have a higher sales tax than most of missouri. But still when you consider taxes as a whole (gas property and income tax) missouri is way cheaper than illinois. This 5% tax is goi g to hurt all entertainment venues

Not that it matters, but that average number is way below the Missouri average.

Missouri also has a personal property tax they want right at Christmas time every year.

FYI the difference in tax in mo and il,were we pay personal property tax they get ther personal property though there fuel tax

What's really annoying about any of these taxes is that they are being paid using money that was already taxed when it was earned..... What's the total portion of a person's income that is actually consumed by taxes?

Back