NO seals on crate engines?

fastrakpr

So I ask you, what would make you NOT seal a crate engine?

Why did we need them to start off with? Because they were sealed wasn't it?

Its a lot of work to seal crate engines, make the seals, tracking them, doing engine contracts, getting bonds for engine builders, shipped the seals and more. A lot of work. But isn't that the way it was intended?

Just asking for your thoughts;

Added cost of the program takes money away from racers.

GM promoted a system using special marked bolts and special replacement bolts but the system became compromised and replacement bolts were no longer available. Series that wanted to use sealing bolts came up with their own bolts and their own qualified re-builders. This adds cost.

Its a lot of work to seal crate engines, make the seals, tracking them, doing engine contracts, getting bonds for engine builders, shipped the seals and more. A lot of work. But isn't that the way it was intended?

I agree its a lot of work. And I feel the most important part is tracking them. Every engine should have a serial number and its own record log of every race it was entered in, how it did, and what was checked on it.
As for making seals, doing engine contracts, getting bonds, ect. This is added cost. Tear downs are added cost. Perhaps the participants could vote before each race night if they should take a chunk of money out of the purse for a tear-down that night. Or maybe they could vote on how much should be taken from the point fund to pay for tear-downs for the year.

The alternative is a very strict engine rule book. Several pages long with recommended methods for checking these specs. As long as you meet all these crate engine specs. you are legal. Being able to make some repairs yourself saves time and money.

No problem PR, glad to be of assistance.

wheel spinner touched on it(with the system being compromised) due to the use of sealing bolts. great idea, but there are/were alot of fake knock-offs calling themselves sealing bolts out there available to the right person for the right price. alot of prior threads on here about crate bolts on ebay, and i think they went for over $700. now, why would you do that, if you didn't intend to take apart, do some 'tweaking' and reassemble a motor, all the while making it look like it's not been touched. seems crystal clear to me what the intent is/was. then, you have the former director of a local(now defunct) crate series openly stating he had sets of bolts on hand. that just reeks of a sealed engine being modified, but made to look like it's a virgin.all you had to do was some back room dealing, and it was wide open after that. the whole system is/was corrupt, thus when they became not available , allowing unsealed engines. the whole idea became corrupt, to the point what is a sealed angine anymore.. not really such a thing.

Midget Racer,
The compromise I am referring to is the lack of a database held all crate engine serial numbers and their corresponding Infoglyphed numbered sealing bolts. GM has the information but refused to utilize it. One would need a fake bolt with the proper lazer-etched encoded number or it would be useless.

I give Fastrak credit for doing the seals the way it was intended.

www.infoglyph.com

What is the cost to the racer and or Sanction to have an engine Fastrak sealed? How about re-sealed after tear down?

What does a weekly Fastrak race pay to win and start?

Thanks

What is the cost to the racer and or Sanction to have an engine Fastrak sealed? How about re-sealed after tear down?

Thanks

The seals cost the rebuiulder $32 for the complete set with a suggested retail of $50.

the cost of the seals is alot less than having your one head milled down, so it is a no brainer on trying to run a series that has the same motor for each car. the seals are no extra expense to the engine owner because it cost less to have it rebuilt than one that has had alot of milling,etc done to it so it keeps the cost down which is what this class was started out being, but there is always people that want to cheat them up so the expense is to the engine rebuilder. to keep the engine owner and rebuilder honest by him having a bond and fines on the line. it is the best out there right now.just like shannon buckingham runs new motors and no rebuilts that shows factory is as good as a big price rebuilt one. i like the seal sr.# they have now except if one builder messes one up and another has to fix a gasket on it or something the whole motor has to have the last shops seals only on it. think they should only replace the seal they broke to fix the problem...or if you don't want to seal your motor let fastrak give you a restrictor plate with 1 1/2 " holes in it and then run that has to be turned in after every race..

i wish ump and fastrak would run the same tires or go to a hoosier wrs d55 for all and forget it but now ump has that stupid shock rule (what a crack pipe rule)so that messes it up there. hope fastrak takes all their tracks over and then we will all have more places to run.... stan told us at the beginning of this year at west plains that we would have a series over here if he had to do it himself. hope that is so. i think shane does a great job on the tech and they try to keep things in line but there is always going to be little slip ups but will in the end will get caught .

The seals cost the rebuiulder $32 for the complete set with a suggested retail of $50.

That didn't answer any of my questions.

Thanks

Top 5 cars can protest anyone within top 5 positions. Engine CLAIM RULE: GM 602 HP $3500 Claim GM 604 HP $5500 Claim Participant refusing to allow claim will be considered ‘illegal within the bolts’ and penalties according to such will apply. Tear Down Rules: All fees much be paid in full within 10 minutes of protested car crossing scales. Protestor must have money in hand for protest. ONCE PROTEST IS DECLARED, IT CANNOT BE WITHDRAWN! COMPLETE TEAR DOWN: $800.00 fee. $200.00 goes to series and/or track (engine will be put back together at FASTRAK "authorized" engine builder for $600 plus any applicable parts. NOTE: $600 is for reassembly and re-sealing. Does NOT include any additional needed parts related to wear and tear). CAM PROFILE: $300. $100 goes to Series and/or track. PULL HEAD AND INTAKE: $300. $100 of fee goes to Series and/or track. WEIGH CRANKSHAFT: $300. $100 of fee goes to Series and/or track. *In the case of two day shows, engines will be marked for legality. Marked engine must be present at post race tech. *Should competitor change engines, tech personnel must be notified in advance. Both engines may be subject to technical inspection. Engine not inspected in advance will automatically be disqualified. FASTRAK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHECK ANY COMPETITORS ENGINE BY DYNO TESTING, TEAR DOWN, OR ANY OTHER MEANS FOUND NECESSARY TO CONFIRM THE LEGALITY OF AN ENGINE. Any competitor that will not allow testing procedures per the discretion of the Regional Director, Tech Official or FASTRAK Official, will be barred for 365 days and fined $1000. It is the duty of FASTRAK to keep engines legal per the FASTRAK rule book based on rules of ‘fair competition". [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Back