O'Reilly SUPR Late Models head north for first Arkansas race of the season

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (April 27, 2004) - The O'Reilly SUPR Late Models will be heading back to Razorback country with the first of four visits to I-30 Speedway in 2004. And the racers will be headed to a larger purse with Saturday night's race paying $3,000 to win and $500 to start. Heading the charge will be 2003 O'Reilly SUPR Late Model Champion Kenny Merchant.
Merchant, from West Monroe, Louisiana is currently leading the 2004 standings and he has recorded two victories in the first eight races this season. Merchant is the second winningest racer in SUPR history with 30 victories to his credit, with over half of his victories having been recorded in the past two years in the J.D. Caver/Goddard Performance Ford Mustang. Merchant won three of four SUPR events at I-30 in 2003.

Plenty of folks have noticed this stat including Doug Ingalls, the winningest driver in SUPR history with 38 victories to his credit. Ingalls, a three-time SUPR Champion from Longview, Texas, is making one last run at the title and he currently sits in third place with one victory to his credit in 2004. Ingalls is fielding the Nash Trucking/Marshall Lube Auto & Tire Center Pontiac Grand Prix as he works to stave off Merchant's challenge to his claim at the top of the all-time victory list.

But while the focus had been on the victory list, the surprise of the season may well be the performance of rookie competitor Ray Moore from Shreveport, Louisiana. Moore has become a consistent top 5 competitor in the Moore Wireline/tic Chevrolet Monte Carlo and he'll be seeking his first O'Reilly SUPR career victory at I-30 Speedway.

With an eye on making it easier for local area Late Model competitors to compete with the O'Reilly SUPR Late Models, SUPR will allow WRS-55 tires on the rear at all of the I-30 Speedway shows. Couple this with the weight break changes announced earlier this year (open motors must weigh 2250 lbs. - down from 2300 at the end of the race and aluminum blocks motors are no longer required to carry 50 lbs. in front of the motor plate) and the I-30 events should be a competitive match-up between the SUPR touring pros and the Arkansas Bad Boys. Keep in mind that local favorite Donnie Barnhart claimed the fourth victory at I-30 Speedway last year.

Joining the O'Reilly SUPR Late Models will be the IMCA Modifieds, Street Stocks and Hobby Stocks plus the Powder Puff races will be held. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. and races start at 7:30 p.m. Adult admission is $15 and kids
6 - 12 are $2 when accompanied by an adult. Pit passes are $25. For more information please contact the O'Reilly SUPR offices at (225)-275-5040 or the I-30 Speedway offices at (501) 455-4567.

The O'Reilly SUPR Late Models would like to thank our 2004 corporate
sponsors: O'Reilly Auto Parts, Hoosier Tires Southwest, Brodix, Afco, B&K Underground, Bert Transmission, Borla Mufflers, Creel Brothers Excavating, Dura-Lite Racing Wheels, Eagle Motorsports, Frankland Racing Supply, Fuel Safe Racing Cells, GRT Race Cars, Hinchman Uniforms, J&J Motorsports, Larry Shaw Race Cars, Late Model America, Marlee's Embroidery, Mid South Golf Carts, Peterson Aluminum, Schoenfeld, Tilton Engineering, Warrior Race Cars and Xtreme Graphics.

Back