Paducah switches to Saturdays, no longer UMP sanctioned!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Paducah is now racing on Saturday nights. Their classes aren't UMP sanctioned.

Rumor is they will be switching the modifieds to IMCA sanction in 2004.

what....

Paducha is my favorite track but this is a bad idea....y would they do this....r thye still keeping the UMP LM's...i wonder ho whtis will effect their big show schedule...will they move all those to sat nite also....i think this just ****s.

Trevor

IMCA is a dead horse. A claim never worked at keeping the cost down (look at the cost of a modern modified). A claim without an exchange just puts the guys who work hard and win out of the business.

laynejw,
What are you talking??? UMP has a claim too. Except they don't let you claim they just let the engine cost go out of sight. I see 12 and 18 degree headed motors on UMP cars ---- I mean some really high tech/high dollar engines. The tire bill is as far out of hand as UMP's motor bill so if you ask me the DEAD HORSE is UMP (Unlimited Money Program) modified. We are racing for the same money as most UMP tracks. I have not been to Paducah yet but if they go IMCA I will definitely go there.

right chumbly why does I55 get 30 to35 unlimitedprogram cars huh,trashdog told his camera changed date one night down at fredrock while taking pictures you know chumbly youcanalways go to malden on fridayshey didyouever realize the talent level mightbe alittle more seasoned than your IMCA brethren

Any guesses??????

Anyone want to guess how many cars they will have at Paducah with there new night and no sanction????????????

dirt hound,
I-55 had good crowds whenever Elmer Sago ran the track. It had good crowds when Allied ran the track. It had good crowds when it was part of the Triple Track. And it has good crowds now. Every other track in the area would love to be able to get the crowds that Pevely does. Alot of that is that it is one of the nicest facilities anywhere. And, yes, they do have a good field of talent but every other track has a good field of talent as well. The difference is they don't have the field of talent and financing that the guys at Pevely do. You can name any track in the area and I can point out some really good drivers at all of them. Whether it be UMP or IMCA , talent is NOT the issue. Being able to afford it is! If you level the playing field financially, you will see alot closer racing.

Dropping the sanction may not help, but I doubt it will hurt much either. At this late stage of the game, most drivers are out of the points race anyway, and are just out there for start money and the fun of getting in a few more races.

What's odd is that neither PIR nor Kentucky Lake were getting great crowds, as I understood it. Now they're dividing their fan base in half. I wonder if Paducah would have been better to stay on Fridays, drop late models and put more money into the modified purse.

The biggest complaint I've heard about Paducah is the weekly purse, so unless that changes as well, I'm not sure moving to Saturdays will make a lot of difference. I give 'em credit for at least making a bold move, though.

If there not sanctioned I hope they put everyone on 55s or 40s, that would save racers alot of money.

The idea of changing nites may be in hopes of getting more people to go to the races, not trying to take fans from KLMS. Saturday is alot better day to draw a crowd, and they are in a fair sized city. Track operators have to compete with tv, movies, parties, night clubs, ect for attendance, not just each other.

Jamie, that is the worst thing I have ever seen you post. 67 raceway tried that last year, and they nearly went under. You might get a full pit area putting the latemodel money it the support classes, but you wont get the crowd without headliners.

Ouch, Dean, my feelings are hurt now! :D

Seriously though, as a promoter I'd cut late models only as a last resort, but I have seen a few tracks do it and survive -- several tracks in West Tennessee (Milan, Atwood, Camden) have run modifieds as their top class for years, and I've seen a few in Arkansas (namely Batesville) do it.

Of course, you'd have to consider your local audience and whether they'd come to watch a show without late models. It works in some areas, but probably not in others (i.e. Godfrey).

PIR

PIR had 6 late models last night. John Tindal, owner/promoter, won the feature. KLMS had 16 late models and pretty decent crowd. Tait Davenport won the late model feature, subbing for Jeremy Williams. I just hope Tindal sees the error of his ways and returns to Friday nights next year, if he is still around next year.

The John Tindal that drives the car is the son of the track owner, not the owner, and he is a good guy. I hate to see a nice big track like PIR only have a handful of cars.

all i can say is tindal is crazy for doing something like this!!!especially when he had one of the best friday night tracks in the midwest!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I saw a post somewhere that said John Tindal, the PIR promoter, would race his LM and split his winnings with two kids chosen from the grandstands. I don't know if he plans to race every week or not -- if he doesn't, there goes 1/6 of his late model car count.

Back