QUESTION: Do you think a FULL-SIZED eight-cylinder truck class would go over

Millsey

I've been toying with the idea of starting a new full-sized truck class at the Fredericktown Raceway next season. We would use the basic Pure Street rules for the class, just with pickups...

What do you folks think???? Is this a stupid idea or does it have possibilities...?

Something like $200 to win..

It might go over big. I think a small truck 8cyl class would go over bigger. It would certainly be easier to put a cage in a truck over a car. Are you talkink about full body, or allowing the bottom of the bed removed and skining doors and Quarters? How about a 305 max engine? That would be a budget class!

IT HAS BEEN TRIED BEFORE AND DIDN'T GO OVER,BUT THAT WAS UP THIS WAY WHO KNOWS IT MAY WORK AT FRED ROCK

I think that, given a strong promoter, this could be a way to get more people into racing.

The days of being able to go down to the local wrecking yard and getting a car to make a racecar out of are almost over. (Hornets and Wannabees notwithstanding). Full frame cars are rarer than hens teeth.

But most junkyards are littered with full frame, rear drive v-8 powered trucks. They would be heavy, and slow, and the suspesion geometry would be horrible, but they would be a great beginner class.

Tim

well the chevy's would domanate with their front ends the ford would **** with the twin I beams hmm a dodge I don't think is to good on front ends

v8 trucks

We have been trying to get someone to let us do this for years milsey...we even offered to just skin a car chassis with the truck body!

You figure how many people show up now days at the races driving trucks...get a few beers in these good ole boys...and who do you think they are going to go for?

The trucks....there is NO ADVANTAGE building the truck,,,its just like hood scoops on a bomber...purely for cosmetic looks!

Someone in Ill would open the rules up to running a truck body on a metric chassis........or on a s/10 chassis,,,,,basically the same thing.....we would sell everything we own and build 2 this winter to run!(or reskin what we already have)

Millsey I think a more afforable class would work better at the ROCK.... you wouldn't belive how many times I get asked how much does it cost or what does it take to make a Rams cars or even a purestreet if we would start a class of pure ministocks(like the hornet or wannabes) I think they would go over real good
basic rules like

4 piont cage
boat tank with a fuel shut off line
racing seat and belt a must!
street tires

just my opion I would like to race a truck but that class will be as costly as the purestreets after a year or two!

hey jeff the belleville track has a truck that runs in the pure streets? smurfblue you for got one safty thing "neck brace" must!

Maybe try getting truck bodies approved for the pure street classes first. There are similar classes racing on pavement most using latemodel chassis, some touring, and some weekly.

I feel that the new class that needs started in this area is: Latemodels with lexan side wings about 4 foot tall down the left door and quater. Run it as a touring deal, call the tracks and get dates, leave the rules losely latemodel, with side wings, and hard tires, like the economy 55 or lm40.

Millsey

I think you should get with Ray at I-55 and get him to take on the Rams as a support class and lose the wannabeez. I think if the Rams would run every Sat. night at pevely you would get a car count as good as the Late models. and have the same pay out you use now.

We would LOVE to run I-55 on a regular basis.... BUT

I don't think Ray would want to take a class where he is not paying anything but a trophy for a paying class... It's just a dollars and cents thing... We would be honored to race there on a full-time basis, but with the Wannabees having 18 cars/trucks I sure don't see that happening.

i have to agree with dean, if you are gonna run purestreet rules you might as well just give the purestreets the option of running truck bodies, now if you wanna get creative try s-10 pickups with 406's on methanol with big ole latemodel tires. could you imagine the carnage!!!!!!!!

trucks

Millsey, the truck idea sounds neat but i agree with JJ. Start a hornet/wannabee class. Probably grow faster and would take less competetors away from the current classes. I bet they would bring more new fans in than a class that would feed off of another. Dont call em wannabees though. JPR

lol

Like i said,we have been trying to get a truck body pushed thru for a long time....purestock/SS/bomber rules.....with a truck body!

Its simply for looks...no gain...if anything a little more drag.....but you cant tell me that if there is 2 trucks in a 16 car feature.....who do you think the fans will go for if the trucks run competitively?

You watching this wade?......Might be something to look at for godfrey next year....add a truck body to the SS class!

lets do it

i got a 65 ford f100 that is ready to rock. put a cage in it and point me to the track. twin i beams and all.

GO FORD LETS GET A TRUCK CLASS GOING.......

Mini-trucks with 360ci max and IMCA tire rule

Payout same as Hobby stocks or Mods. 9 inch rear ok. Rule somewhat like Hobby stock but pull Vac, 4BL (bacause they cost no more than 2BL) Alum 4BL intake (less than $150) Cast heads 194 valve limit. Hyd Cams only, No roller rockers or anything roller. Pump Gas "NO RACING FUEL or ADDITIVES" ($2.00 @ pump instead of $3.50/4.20 @ track). If done within reason could be a fun class.

Or BANGERS: 4 cylinder Frt or Rear drive (NO AWD/4WD) stick or auto. same cage as RAMS (6Pts. & side bars) 8gl. fuel cell in can ($160 well spent) Saftey Belts(RAMS) Racing tire 8" max (MED compound-NO SOFT allowed). Stock style shocks/stock Mts (No racing shocks). No racing springs. Stock steering column with Qwik release hub.Mufflers required- no glass paks (because if there is a curfew and ran last who knows) stock bumbers FRT/REAR with returns. 1 o/s bar on each side.
Purse $100/75/50 & 20 on back to 10th only ($365 total purse/18 cars@ $20 per Pit-Pass =$360 not including crew and fans $), if outside of top 10 sorry.

Oh yea you can paint them any color as long as it's Tractor paint ($16.99 gl. keep cost down)

Marty Boyer #52 RAMS;)

We tried that idea at TCS a few years ago, and only 2 were ever built. Eventually, the truck idea was scrapped, but the trucks that were built were allowed to race with the late models, when they were more of a pro-stock type of machine. I understand the trucks were basically modified chassis with the truck bodies. When Tom Utley raced the truck at St Charles, he raced it with the B-mods.

Originally posted by jeff the jet
hey jeff the belleville track has a truck that runs in the pure streets? smurfblue you for got one safty thing "neck brace" must!

yep forgot to list it the neck brace... was the first thing I purchased one of the veteran racer's said I didn't need it after he got hit hard and had a stiff neck for a week he bought one!!!

Back