Question on Horse Power

RichieFor20

Anyone know a good number for Horse Power on a top of the line Super Late Model?

That new gm circle track engine is advertised at 525 hp.... I know it's not top of the line, but a good start.

Thanks, guys. The number I heard last night directly from the driver at Pevely is... his car makes 860 HP. No surprise who it is, right?

860. Haha recalibrate your Dyno
and put the crack pipe down. Also HP ain't all there is. Got to have a good car and set up. Don't be ****ed in by HP numbers.

860. Haha recalibrate your Dyno
and put the crack pipe down. Also HP ain't all there is. Got to have a good car and set up. Don't be ****ed in by HP numbers.

You're right. That's exactly what he said...HP isn't all there is to it... "you have to make the rear wheels stick". From what I've seen those rear wheels are sticking pretty good.

That's why I love Belle-Clair Speedway. The most money and most HP can't always get you a win. Gotta love a bull ring!

I disagree with you....it's safe to say the top dollar cars still win the majority of races at BC.

Well I didn't say they didn't. But whens the last time a crate motor late model won a feature at I55 or TCS against supers? To my knowledge its never happened.

Fair enough....how many times has a crate won at BC? When was the last time someone tried at Pevely or TCS?

It could be argued that the big motor guys from pevely an TCS don't run BC either.

But I do agree that you have a better shot at BC if your under powered.

Jim Moon is on the 525 crate there now and has won a couple. D .J. Cygan won one last year with i think a 604 or 602. Bobby Dauderman won a few including the 100 lapper a year or two ago. Clay Bauman has at least 1 that I know of also.

I wouldn't get particularly wrapped up in the whole idea of very high peak horsepower numbers and the reason is simple. If the intake port CSA is high enough and the camshaft duration long enough to produce tremendous high rpm power you can be assured that the overall torque band of that engine is going to be hopelessly narrow and probably not terribly effective under a wide variety of track conditions. As Mr Crump basically said in his post the engine needs to have a torque band that can be utilized effectively by the driver in situations other than WOT.

Back