Racing superstitions ?????

Eileen

I am looking for racing superstitions.........

the no peanuts in the seat.....

the no green on your race car......

I'd also like a little history behind these superstitions.

If there were any famous motorsports competitors (purposely stated this way to include motorcycles, boats, etc.) who had their own specific superstitions like what clothes they wore or how they put them on I'd like to know about them as well.

Thanks for your help.

Moyer is superstitious about "peanuts, chicken, and anything green on race day" according to his website. Cale Yarborough once said, when asked about the peanuts thing, that in any racing fatality, if you looked around the car, you would find a peanut somewhere. Although in the article I read, the author also said Cale never explained how he came to believe that.

Heres a link to a good story about superstitions, and it also sheds some light on the peanuts thing too.

http://www.intakeweekly.com/articles/7/020356-7877-141.html

never wore socks, always drank syrup before racing. Use to race bmx for 16 years. socks slow me down,syrup gave me fast energy before race time...... Must of been good won over 500 trophies, state champ in 82,86,88, ranked 7th in the world in 88.......

upsmanluvracin said:
never wore socks, always drank syrup before racing. Use to race bmx for 16 years. socks slow me down,syrup gave me fast energy before race time...... Must of been good won over 500 trophies, state champ in 82,86,88, ranked 7th in the world in 88.......
whoaaa...:eek: :D

When My dad was still racing he had a horshoe tacked in the drivers compartment for luck.

the big one was NO GREEN ANYWHERE!

One night a crew members kid put a 4 leaf clover in the cockpit, without anyone knowing. That was the night a 13 win streak was snapped with a flat tire with about 3 laps to go.

Damn green.

Superstition Reply

Back in the day we tried many things.. stuffed animals doing obscene jestures, Rubber chicken tied to the cage... pair of g string panties from the bumper... still didnt help.. ... well maybe it did... we always had a blast win or loose..

Lots of good memories.. ohh yea and there was the stuffed watermelon that the end of the race in the parking lot.. WHOOOOHOOOO.. must of been good luck.. cause we made it home unscaved.
Later
Cattlick:D ]

Peanuts and Race Cars...

The reason peanuts are considered bad luck is based on fact. Years ago, many race events were held at county fairgrounds and race cars were pitted beneath the grandstands. Fans eating peanuts would discard peanut shells and they would fall onto the cars. Many had open carburetor or injector stacks so the shells might fall into and jam the throttle. The racer would take to the track and have their throttle stick open causing a crash.

Regards,
Gerry Dedonis
Volunteer
The Kansas Auto Racing Museum
Chapman, Kansas
http://www.kansasautoracingmuseum.org
http://www.racingfromthepast.com

hey eileen, you guys might remember the only thing i had - i would never put my helmet on outside the car do not know how i came up with that but it was one of those things. say hey to tom and the kids. still love you guys,BJ

Whats the deal with the green.... where did that originate...??? I tested the theory and put a green string on the car without the driver knowing it.. then took it off for the next race... guess what... beat the car up both times... myth put to rest in our books. Lets see.. another one is to wait until the last minute to fix the important parts on on the car that were broke... lets see example.. breaking in the motor while on the trailer in route to the track (30)minute drive.... Dont know if procrastinating is a superstitistion but ... it definately seems to occur quite often.
Later yall
Piece, love and poultry....baaaakaaaaa !! (the previous is to be explained at a later time thank you , the management)

hers the story i heard on the peanut thing in a nutshell . way back in the grand national days there were some drivers all standing around there cars and one of them was eating peanuts and tossing the shells in another drivers car just as a joke . during the race the driver with the shells wrecked and was injured pretty bad, the guy that tossed them in the car felt horrible about it and thought maybe he put a jinx on him . a few races later he is still upset about what he done. so another driver wanted to prove too him that peanuts had nothing to do with the wreck dumped a bunch of them in his own car and went out to race that driver was killed that day thats the story i heard years ago

Back