Rilat Earns Podium to End Inaugural Summer Thunder Series Second in Points

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - ALGER, Wash. (Sept. 2, 2013) - What started out well during his tripleheader at Skagit Speedway didn't end that way for Travis Rilat in Richard Saumure's sprint car.

Rilat completed the inaugural Summer Thunder Series by garnering a podium finish last Thursday, which earned him second place in the series standings, before a rough two-day event with the World of Outlaws STP Sprint Car Series.

"Any time you step up the competition level and go race with those guys, then go back with the 360 guys it speeds you up," said Rilat, who will return to his car this Saturday with the ASCS Gulf South Region at Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, Texas.

"It's time to break the 29 car out. She hasn't been out many times this year and I'm really looking forward to it."

But first it was one final weekend with Saumure in the Northwest, where Rilat qualified sixth quickest and won his heat race on Thursday. That started him on the outside of the third row for the main event, which he finished third.

"The track was heavy and the track never did blow off," he said. "It was only a 25-lap race. I think we would have done a lot better if it would have been 35 laps or we had more cautions. Without as many cars and with the rain that we had it was all they could do to get the track ran in. Fortunately we were able to get to race. The forecast was calling for 100 percent chance of rain all day. It made for a narrow track."

That set up back-to-back nights with the World of Outlaws STP Sprint Car Series, when Rilat qualified 25th quickest on Friday and 29 th quickest on Saturday.

"I never qualify very well," he said. "I never have been able to qualify. It immediately handicaps me. I think we'd do OK in group qualifying. I just need a rabbit to chase."

On Friday, Rilat placed eighth in his heat race and sixth in the Last Chance Showdown, which gave him the final transfer to the main event. Rilat started 24th in the feature, but quickly began to work toward the front.

"I made it all the way up to 17th by Lap 5," he said. "(A driver) jumped the cushion in turns one and two and came back on the track. I went in there and ended up right on the cushion. It clipped my right rear. It didn't flip, but it jumped up in the air. The front end went in the air, then the rear went in the air."

That ended Rilat's night with a 23rd-place finish.

Saturday started smoother in the heat race as Rilat maneuvered from 10th to fifth place, which locked him into the feature. After starting 22 nd, he ended with an 18th-place result.

"We were ok, just average," he said. "Everybody was fast. Our car was pretty good. (Kerry) Madsen came up to lap me when he was leading and then I pulled a straightaway on him when the cars lined out. With all the traffic around it was hard to do anything starting that far back."

QUICK RESULTS -

Aug. 29 - Skagit Speedway in Alger, Wash. - Qualifying: 6; Heat race: 1 (3); Feature: 3 (6).

Aug. 30 - Skagit Speedway in Alger, Wash. - Qualifying: 25; Heat race: 8 (9); B Main: 6 (7); Feature: 23 (24).

Aug. 31 - Skagit Speedway in Alger, Wash. - Qualifying: 29; Heat race: 5 (10); Feature: 18 (22).

SEASON STATS -

31 races, 4 wins, 15 top fives, 20 top 10s, 21 top 15s, 28 top 20s

UP NEXT -

Saturday at Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, Texas, with the ASCS Gulf South Region

VIDEO -

Here is a highlight video by Nathan Prince of Rilat's Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour victory at Grays Harbor Raceway in Elma, Wash., on July 12: http://youtu.be/Md1evWDAl30

Here's a video by Nathan Prince of Rilat's ASCS Northwest Region Speedweek win at Grays Harbor Raceway in Elma, Wash., on June 28: http://youtu.be/NAeXAJn8nS0

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TravisRilat29

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Shark Racing Engines

Located in Sedro-Woolley, Wash., Shark Racing Engines has been building high-performance racing engines for almost 25 years. For more information, visit http://www.SharkRacingEngines.com.

"It's kind of funny how I met (Shark owner) Marc Huson when I went up there to Washington for an ASCS National Tour race and Triple X Race Co. was next door," Rilat said. "I was wandering around talking on my cell phone and saw a sprint car next door. I walked over, looked around and introduced myself.

"He's been a great friend. He was instrumental with a support group for me and my family when I was in the hospital up there. He and his wife helped us out in a hard time. As far as his engine skills go, he's one of the best in the country. There's only a handful of great engine builders across the country and I consider him one of the best."

Rilat would also like to thank Xtreme Oilfield Technology, Carlan Services, Northern Provincial Pipelines, Matt's Oilfield Services, TriJet Manufacturing Services, Northern Lights Welding, Camex VP, Rob Wright Building Supplies, Scott Safety, Max Fuel, Jaron Water Hauling, Maxim, Factory Kahne, HRP, Ti22, Weld Wheels, Ben Cook Racing and Smiley's Racing Products among others for their continued support on Richard Saumure's No. 39c Maxim.

Back