Ripple effects for Stewart, NASCAR, sponsors could be huge

Flying Penguin

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iver-killed-raises-nascar-questions/13862327/

"Without suggesting any blame here, I think most people agree the days when drivers stand on a racetrack during a live race have to go," said Zak Brown, founder of Just Marketing, which has represented sponsors in NASCAR, IndyCar and Formula One. "It's happened for years in every form of motorsport globally and that practice has to stop."

During ESPN's prerace broadcast Sunday, analyst and former crew chief Andy Petree said Ward's death would be "a watershed moment for racing in general. Even if there's rule changes or procedure changes going forward, it's going to be something every race car driver will think about it. The impact of this tragic event is going to be felt from here forward. I think you'll see a lot of changes."

The review of such policies could transcend sprint car racing, too. In Saturday's Nationwide Series race at Watkins Glen, J.J. Yeley walked to the edge of oncoming traffic under a yellow flag so he could gesture at Trevor Bayne.

At 49 years behind the wheel on dirt (+some drag racing before that)and promoting a race or two and being on the AARA board I think I can give some good input so a event like the one involving Stewert will hopefully never happen again..The general rule of thumb is STAY IN YOUR CAR IF INVOLVED IN A CRASH ,that is until told by a safety crew member or official that you can exit the car..I would think if a track has a printed set of rules regarding the drivers conduct during a racing event this would be included in those rules,,,The officals that conduct the racing at any given track need to make this very clear to all us (some time hard of hearing ) drivers (and crew) Here is a idea ,have a sheet printed up that every driver MUST sign before they race..If a driver violates the signed sheet then with the first violation that driver is done for the night..Second violation done for the month..A third one that driver is done for the rest of the racing season..Have it printed in capital letters and on 3 copy carbonless paper...One to the track,one to the promoter and one to the driver.......I have my own opinion about last night but I think it best to keep it to myself...Len Garson

i disagree with this whole "stay in your car" philosphy. Good example happened last night at Flora. I got wrecked, after things calmed down i got out to survey the damage. My front bumper was broke off one side and the tow truck driver, being in a hurry, wanted to pick my car up with the front bumper which was just attached on one side. If they tow my car and the bumper breaks off and smashed the oil pan are they paying for it? I took the hood off and we picked it up by the front loop. I am just sharing this example as why i WONT stay in my car. Keep in mind i wasnt running after anybody or acting silly.

Just because one 20 year old kid doesn't use good judgement doesn't mean all the rules need to be changed overnight.

THANX RICH

Stay in your car until your told its safe to get out. And for the love of God do NOT walk toward a moving car! My two year old knows that!!!

Back