Rodney Melvin

moonflow

BIRKY!!!
I need something explained to me here.

Rodney Melvin is about to win the UMP national championship, but I kinda question it. Looking at the honor roll of winners, everyone is under 15 feature wins, even Ed Dixon. Then you have Rodney Melvin, with 22 features. I know he's running Mount Vernon...but I've never seen him run at I-55 with the likes of Oller, Rat, Dixon and Gundaker. I also caught wind of a rumor that the person who owns Mt. Vernon's track also owns Melvin's car, but I don't know if it is true. The track owner also apparently dumped a ton of money into Melvin's car.

So, tell me, is Melvin just running at tracks where the competition is weak, or is he running a couple of tracks and totally dominating because he's got the help of the track owner?

I think I can answer some of these questions for you. I am good friends of the Melvins, rick Heck who is a partner in MVN Raceway owns the car Rodney drives. Rodney has won at 12 different tracks this year, the most recent was Haubstat IN, the COC race.He has ran all of the COC races, except for two, he has finished in the top 5 in most of the COC races.Yes, he has been pretty dominate at MVN this year, he has been the most consistant driver that i have watched this year. I can't speak for track owners, but i do not think any of the other tracks are helping Rodney, he runs MVN on sat. night, because it is his home track, just like dixon and the others you are talking about, run i-55 on sat night, i have not saw dixon at MVN all year.It only makes sense that these guys run their home track on whatever night it is.So take it whatever way you want to take it.

With Rodney winning at all these different tracks, its hard to say the promotors cheat for him. I don't know if Heck does or not, so I'm not saying anything about that, but the man deserves it. He hasn't dodged the competition except for I-55. I can understand why he would though, he's only been here once this year, and wasn't even fast enough to get in the top 10 in the feature, and the competition is 2nd to none around here.

You are correct when you say he doesn't dodge competition, what also makes him very good in a points chase like UMP's is that he finishes a lot of races because he drives within in himself and is very patient, where as Dixon drives a little more aggressive and has fallen out of quite a few races this year with problems (i.e. Flat tires).

In 11 starts at Godfrey this year, Rodney has 3 wins, 8 top 5's, and an average finishing position of 5th place.

I didn't say that all the track promoters were helping him....Mt. Vernon's promoter supposedly owns Melvin's car...but that's just a rumor.

If that's the case, doesn't anyone else see a problem with that?

And I'd still like to see him run with the guys at I-55....

But, it seems most of my question has been explained....he's not dodging competition...but he definately has one hell of a car underneath him. Not trying to dimenish his driving skill any, just trying to figure out how he got 22 features, and big dogs like O'Neal and Babb are in the teens.

MOONFLOW

Now Moonflow arn't you the clever one!!!! You know all these answers to your questions everone has shared with you. You have been a member since July 2002 and have 251 post and you are on here several times a week. So how can you be oblivious to this question... ????? Or are you just being a ROSE with THORNS?
And if that is the case that my JOB :eek: :D

Lisa

Rodney Melvin did run at I-55 this year. He pulled off half way through. Melvin has won 22 dry slick races this year. Somebody please name one track he won at that is not dry slick. Either he is really good on that type off track, or the rumor of traction may be true. (not accusing, just saying). I do think though that since he is up in points of COC, that he will make the feature at I-55 for the finale. It will be nice to see him run in the back and or pull off. The fact that he is dodging competition, Who runs at Mt. Vernon. Any big names. I Can't name any either. Now Godfrey does have some big guys in Dixon, Faust, and Korte from time to time. Last yaer he ran the summer nationals. When the tour came to I-55. He went back to Mt. Vernon. I don't hate the man. But if these rumors are true. My respect for him is gone. I really hope that he is not cheating, and that people are not setting tracks up for him on purpose. The fact does remain that he is a good race car driver.

Don't get me wrong I love I-55 and their drivers, but if you look at it, do they also only have drivers that run good at I-55? Mark Oller due to money and or work usually only runs at 55, Tom Rat, usually only at 55 and Belleville where the comp. is not exactly stiff, Gundaker, this year has only ran one night a week due to recovery of injury and spending time with his family. So besides that were has Dixon won at were there is so called stiff competition. If you look at it the St. Louis metro area is so watered down with race tracks, no one races against the best every night. And just a question that I do not know the answer to, how much money does Schrader have involved with Dixon?

-Rodney Melvin IS a previous UMP champion

-Rodney Melvin IS from (Close to, excuse me "banger!) Mt. Vernon, therefore races there

-Ed Dixon IS from Washington, MO, therefore races I-55

-Rodney Melvin IS ALREADY IN THE COC FINALE!

-Rodney Melvin AND Ed Dixon are both talented drivers

-There are TOO many Fri/Sat night tracks in UMP/stl land

-There are no Sunday night tracks in UMP/stl land

-People should educate themselves on stl-area LM drivers and UMP history

-I-55 is not the ALLMIGHTY, speedrome of late models, home of the greatest drivers, ***t don't stink stl-area dirt track (although I do love the place)!

-LM racing is not using F1 technology!!!

-I have to ask, did anyone see Rodney smoke everyone at Mont. Cty???

-ain't America great where you have freedom of speech !!!

-RODNEY MELVIN IS NOT FROM MT VERNON . HE IS FROM LOGAN IL !

-YES LATE MODEL RACING IS USING F-1 TECH.

-USE YOUR OWN ADVISE AND EDUCATE YOURSELF ON STLRACING .COM

- THANX!!!

oh that 's right cell phones don't work toggod in ohio CANYOU HEAR ME KNOW ,beside UNCLE BOB ANDTHAT PURPLE BRIGADE IS IN FULL FORCE THIS WEEKEND

Hey, Sam I was there that night and I think ED DIXON was there too. The Track was in great shape too.Melvin did Smoke everybody that night!!!!!

Dave

THATS IT,,,ALL YOU RODNEY BASHERS OUT THERE LISTEN UP,,,I GOT THE 2001 RAYBURN THAT RODNEY WON A LOT MORE THAN 22 FEATURES WITH ON HIS WAY TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN 01 AND I WILL TELL YOU WHAT,WHEN THE TRACK DRIES OUT THIS CAR HOOKS SO DARN HARD IT WILL PUSH ME BACK IN THE SEAT,,,AND THERE SURE AS HECK AINT NO TRACTION CONTROL ANY WHERE ON THIS CAR,,OK,WHY DONT I WIN?BECAUSE IM TO FREAKING OLD AND HALF CRIPLED UP TO PRESS THE GO BUTTON ALL THE WAY DOWN,IF I BREAK THE CAR I GOTS TO WORK ON IT AND I HAVE THIS ALERGY TO WORK,,,MY IDEA OF A GOOD NIGHT IS TO DRIVE THE CAR ON THE TRAILER,GET MY SHOW UP $$ AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE NIGHTS RACING,,,DEAL IS THE MT.VERNON BUNCH FIGURED OUT SOMETHING TO GET THEIR CARS TO HOOK UP ON DRY SLICK TRACKS,,I SAY HO-RAY FOR THEM,,FACE IT BOYS,THEY BUILT A BETTER MOUSE TRAP,,,,,,,,,,,LENNY G. HERE..IF I MAKE SOME ONE MAD,,,,,,,,,,,GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people make me laugh. Rodney has done a great job this year,and is going to win his 2 UMP championship. Have a nice day Rick Heck

Back