Rookie racer Justin Allgaier pushes hard in Nationwide Series

Rookie racer Justin Allgaier pushes hard in Nationwide Series
BY KEN ROBERTS
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
07/16/2009

The fact that Justin Allgaier is sixth in the NASCAR Nationwide Series points standings heading into Saturday's Dodge Dealers 250 race at Gateway International Raceway is newsworthy, if only because he's the leader for the Raybestos Rookie of the Year award.

And while he may have opened some eyes among Nationwide observers because of his performance this season, Allgaier's crew chief, Chad Walter, is not surprised by the Riverton, Ill., native's racing ability.

"He's very talented and has exceeded a lot of people's expectations in what a rookie is going to do in the Nationwide Series," said Walter, in his first year as the team's crew chief for Penske Racing. "He's fast and he's naturally talented. But to be able to give good feedback into what the car is doing and what he needs the car to do and what we can do to make the car go faster ..."

That ability came from Allgaier's days running on dirt tracks around the Midwest, including local venues Belle-Clair Speedway, Tri-City Speedway, I-55 Raceway and Highland Speedway.

Last year, Allgaier, 23, won the Automobile Racing Club of America Re/Max points championship with six wins, 14 top five and 16 top 10 finishes. It was during 2008 that Allgaier attracted the

attention of racing icon Roger Penske, a winning owner 15 times at the Indianapolis 500.

Penske put the youngster in the final four races of 2008 and all 35 this season. Allgaier's best finish in 2008 was an 11th at Phoenix.

Last Friday night at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill., Allgaier wound up 10th and remains sixth in the overall points standings with 2,140 points, 791 behind leader Kyle Busch.

But Allgaier is the top running rookie, 60 points in front of Brendan Gaughan, who races for Rusty Wallace Inc. Both Busch and Gaughan will race Saturday night at Gateway.

"To have the season we've had, it's been great," said Allgaier, who drives the No. 12 Dodge Charger. "You always want to run better. It's cool to see how well everybody's done at the Penske Racing organization to get our program off the ground and get it running as well as we have been."

This season, Allgaier has three top-five finishes (all fifth) and eight top 10s.

"I always want to run better, and we're starting to get there," he said. "I'm learning more and more."

"He gets it," Walter said. "He's really good at adapting to what the race track is giving him. A lot of other guys would just give up. Justin has a way of finding a little grip, of finding a correct line. Trying to make what he has work as best as he can."

Now the only thing Allgaier needs is a win. Could it come at his "home track" this weekend? That won't be known until around 11 p.m. Saturday.

"I think if you can measure performance in the potential, it's still there," Walter said. "We don't have a teammate and I think we do really well. A big part of that is the potential this kid has to be a bright star in this sport for a very long time.

"I don't think that kid would be in this car if (Penske) didn't see something in him that allowed Justin to get this opportunity."

Said Allgaier: "We're going to Gateway to do what job we've got to do. We're going to do the best we can. Whatever happens, happens."
--------------------

He has a way with words don't he :D

Back