scaling cars

jmg97

John Goodson
i would like to hear from some people on whether they scale with the driver in the car or not. i am 250lbs i dont see how you could set everything without me in it ,?when i get in wouldnt it throw it all off.oh well i did it both ways this year and seemed to handle better when i was in and we scaled just wonderin how everyone else does it,and there reasons thanks . john goodson

we scale ours with fuel in the car and me in the seat,if im not in the seat we set 250lbs of weight in the seat to make up for me..if you scale without you in the car it will throw the setup off when you are in the car..even 250lbs does change the crossweight and helps the setup...

Just my opinion...

My opinion is that most chassis manufacturers that you will talk to say that for a driver of 180 - 200 lbs this baseline setup should work (the one most of them give you with the car and the %'s they recommend)... so if you are 250 then i would try to place around 50 lbs in the seat to scale the car... I myself have never done this but...maybe that is part of my problems....I always did my scalings and then jumped in and tried to see what my weight in the car did to the overall #'s.

JMO

STICK

our chassis maker gives you the set up specs with NO driver but they are based off of a 180-200 lbs driver. then for example rayburn says to add weight of driver to seat. guess its whatever they say or do what you run better with

I agree with racer 94, You want to scale it just like it will be on the track, that way you can see where and how much weight will transfer and go from there

Allways scale the car race ready. Set your bar angles, Front end alignment, Fill your fluids, Fuel, radiator, oill, etc. Set your stagger, set the air pressure, and put the driver or weight in the car. You want the car on the Scales exactly as it's going to be on the track.

glad we can agree on this groove...lol...i just think it is better to scale the car how it is gonna be on the track,more accurate to me..

Whichever way the manufacturer says to scale car is a good place to start, but if you would like to id differently, then first do it according to specs then do it your way and note the difference in figures, VOILA!! New baseline set-up. I am a believer in the old measure twice philosophy, so I usually do it both ways. Not that I had a manufacturers spec to go from, but thanks to DirtWorks, GRT, and Larry Shaw I made a conglomeration of averaging their baselines to my heap of junk. Ends up I had to make a few changes to all of their settings once I found a happy median, but that's why they call them baselines right?

I dont scale with me in car; it doesn't really matter as long as you do it the same way. I don't think it matters cause when you get racing you cake dirt everywhere and your car is bouncing around so it isn't just like it sits on the scales anyway.

And besides: if you have 52% left without you and 52.5% left with you and you need more left weight, it doesnt change either way.

Dont fill your gas tank full of fuel, fill it 1/2 way and set the car up that way, because when you fill the tank up, towards the end of the race it will be about 1/2 full and that where your car/ setup will come in is towards the end of the race, if you set your car up will a full tank you will lose your setup towards the end. see what im sayin!

Back