Scanner Frequencies - What are the track policies?

prshaw

Do the different race tracks have policies on listing the radio frequencies they use? Or policies on letting people bring scanners in to listen to the track radios?

I would really like to see reps from each of the tracks reply here saying what their track policy is, and if they don't mind us listening also post the frequencies they use.

i'm sure they wont give them to you. but you can scan through and find them while your at the track. i think most tracks will let you bring them

I am of the opinion that if it is legal in the state the track sits in, it should be legal at the track as well. While some tracks may try to convince you otherwise, the airwaves belong to the people. That is why broadcast radio and tv stations are not allowed to use obscenities, and was the basis for the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" furor after the 2004 Superbowl. For a look at where they are legal, and what specific restrictions may be imposed upon their use, check out the U.S. Scanner Laws. Interesting to note that there is legislation pending in Missouri that may prohibit their use in the future.

Here is a link to a page with some frequencies listed: Sporting Event Frequencies. Not sure how current these are, but it could give you a starting point to work from.

I have taken a scanner to different tracks on a number of occasions, never had any problems anywhere.

I have the frequencies for the local tracks, unless Kevin changed Tri-City. Next time I get out there I will find out if it is still valid or do the search for it.

Doug, I will agree it could be legal. But there are rules against the drivers having radios in their cars, aren't there? Wouldn't be much different to say no radio/scanner on the property. I enjoy listening to the officials and don't want to see any kind of a ban. That is why I want to make sure I don't upset any of the tracks by posting frequencies that I have found, or anything that I have heard on the scanner. Reason I have any concern is that I have never found a page listing the frequencies used locally. (Jimmy, it would be a nice addition to the track listings!)

And for those wanting a scanner, a cheap Radio Shack one will work. You don't have to get anything fancy. I see one on their website (200 channels) for 80 dollars (cheapest listed) that would be way more then you need. I have one that only gets 10 channels and it works. I have not found a track that used more then 2 channels (well other then Gateway for NASCAR).

And that was a good list of st louis frequencies, I will have to see if they broadcast anything interesting. Or at least put a name to some of them that I have found.

someone posted freqencies a couple years back.
i took my scanner and they indeed did work.
if your into it its kind of fun but not as much as the nascar stuff.
the officials sometimes do let er rip on stuff but you got to listen long and hard to hear anything. at the time i had 55(belleville too),godfrey and mtvernon to listen to but with the headphones i couldnt converse with my pals as i couldnt hear em with the head phones on. kinda gave it up(at nascar tracks too) cause id rather interact with my pals than stay glued to a scanner.

prshaw said:
Doug, I will agree it could be legal. But there are rules against the drivers having radios in their cars, aren't there? Wouldn't be much different to say no radio/scanner on the property.

You are correct, many sanctions do not allow radio communication with their drivers. I know of some crews (more than you might imagine) that use scanners to monitor the track frequencies, to get any info that they could use to their advantage, if for instance their driver was black-flagged for a flapping fender or flat tire. But from a spectator standpoint, I don't think it could, or should be controlled.

Back