Scott Lenz Wins Opening Night of Lon Skinner Memorial

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
by Dennis Daniel

Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011 – Southern Oregon Speedway (Medford, OR) – The racing doctor, Dr. Scott Lenz came out of racing retirement two weeks ago when he was given the chance to drive a car owned by Ray Kniffen. Lenz and crew chief Scott Ford went to work preparing the Rayburn car. After scoring a second place win a week ago, Lenz and and crew felt good getting ready for the big $8,000 to win Lon Skinner Memorial.

Friday night saw the track hold a practice session. The practice was both a blessing and a curse for Lenz. They blew an engine during the practice and would have to find a new power plant. Lenz went home and got his own engine, “old reliable,” he called it. “This Larry Bayliss motor is awesome. I challenged Scott to get the car ready in two weeks.”

After scrambling to get the new engine installed on Saturday, the hard work paid off as Lenz went out and won the opening night preliminary feature. Lenz, who started 4th in the 22 car field, was able to race under early leader Matt Duste after a restart, and went on to claim his 94th feature win in his career, besting the field of 49 cars on Saturday.

“I knew I had one opportunity when he went in hot in turn 1,” Lenz said of his pass of Duste. “I missed an earlier opportunity on another car earlier and know this was my one chance.”

The race started with pole sitting Michael Paul Jr. taking the lead. Several early race cautions slowed the action. Three-time defending Skinner winner Bobby Hogge IV brought out one caution after he suffered a right front flat tire on his Joe Glade owned GRT. After changing the tire, Hogge would rejoin the field at the back 19 remaining cars. Only the top 12 finishers from Saturday would lock themselves into Sunday’s $8,000 to win feature, so Hogge would have a tough challenge to work his way back into a qualifying spot.

With a dry slick track except for the very bottom groove, all the cars were fighting to keep their cars on the bottom of the track. A few cars, including Hogge, tried to run the middle or high groove but could not find the traction needed to make passes. After one of the early cautions, Duste was able to drive under Paul. Jr on a restart and took away the lead. Paul Jr. then tried to run the middle groove but quickly fell back to 5th place. Duste now led over Lenz, Travis Peery, Paul Stone and Paul Jr.

After caution flew for Alex Stanford, whose car lost power after the power steering pump and fuel pump belts came off, the cars lined up for another single file restart with 7 laps down. On the restart, Duste suffered the same fate as Paul Jr., as he slid high in turn 1, which opened the door for Lenz and several others to race by. Hogge, who restarted in 14th still had work to do in order to get inside the top 12. On lap 10, Hogge was able to get by several cars including Dennis Silva and Brian Poppa and how found himself running in 10th.

After the races first lengthy green flag run, Lenz was able open up a 6 car length lead over Duste, who fought back to get back to second. Martinez, Calif.’s Troy Foulger, who started 12th, was now challenging for a top spot as he took 3rd away from Peery. Another caution flew for Peery as he and Jeremy Richey tangled in turn 4.

Over the final 6 laps, it was Lenz who drove away to a three second victory, while Foulger got by Duste for 2nd on lap 21. Duste settled for 3rd, followed by 14th starting Ryan McDaniel, B Main transfer Chris Shannon, Paul Jr. and Hogge, who finished in 7th.

“I can’t thank Ray Kniffen and his family for this opportunity,” said Lenz. “Thanks to my wife, Lee, and my kids Bradley and Brandon, and thanks for everyone who has helped.”

On Sunday, C and B Mains will be ran to fill the final 12 starting spots in the 100 lap, $8,000 feature. The twelve drivers already locked into the field will draw for starting positions, meaning any of them could start the grueling race from the front row. The top 12 secured into a starting spot are Lenz, Foulger, Duste, McDaneil, Shannon, Paul Jr., Hogge, Brian Poppa, Kyle Kasson, Paul Stone, Silva and Justin Holt.

Official Results:
A Main - 25 Laps
1 35 Scott Lenz
2 49 Troy Foulger
3 23 Matt Duste
4 10 Ryan McDaniel
5 32s Chris Shannon
6 50 Michael Paul, Jr.
7 2h Bobby Hogge IV
8 0p Brian Poppa
9 11k Kyle Casson
10 66p Paul Stone