Seets Looks for Record Pay Day with Tri-City and Heartland Region Titles

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Steve Birmingham

Granite City, IL – It will be a bling-bling holiday season in Brighton, Illinois this year as Tom Seets hammered down his first career NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series championship at Tri-City Speedway.

Seets raced to feature wins 16 and 17 in the Advance Auto Parts Season Championships Sept. 20, almost assuring him the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series Heartland Region championship. Once the last feature win was in the books and the last victory doughnut turned, Seets had plenty of thanks for his fans, fellow racers and family.

“I have to thank my car owner John DePriest,” Seets said in Victory Lane. “I know the fans got tired of seeing the same guy win all the time. The other guys know they probably could have outrun me on some nights, but they all helped me a lot. This season is dedicated to my wife (Rhonda). Yesterday was our anniversary and she put up with a lot of bull from me this season.”

Terry Chester repeated as the ShorTrack Series Sportsman Champion, finishing second to Saturday’s feature winner Bubb Mitchell and six spots ahead of season-long challenger Bert Jacoby. Chester won six mains events on the year to Jacoby’s five, with the championship margin a mere12 points.

Jim Laughlin finished sixth behind Saturday’s winner Robbie Benson and clinched his first career Street Stock championship. Laughlin won a whopping 10 main events and finished a comfortable 56 points ahead of David Parker.

By finishing second to main event winner Steve Meyer, Jr., Joe Dresch clinched his fourth Modified crown of his career. Dresch nailed down sixth main event wins during the season.

Rookie Ralph Bradford third behind Saturday’s winner Josh Porch, but was able to parlay that and four main event wins into his first career Factory Stock championship. Bradford was able to notch the title by only eight markers over Ken Bell.

Results

Advance Auto Parts Season Championships

NASCAR Dodge Weekly

Series Late Models:

First Feature: 1) Tom Seets; 2) Pat Ryan; 3) Tommie Seets, Jr.; 4) Terry McClintock; 5) Ken Johnson; 6) Paul Raymond; 7) Steve Lance, Jr.; 8) Mark Freeman; 9) Rob Herman; 10) Kevin Lee; 11) Bobby Watson; 12) Matt Hartnett; 13) Charles Carricker.

Second Feature: 1) Tom Seets; 2) Johnson; 3) Ryan; 4) Raymond; 5) Seets, Jr.; 6) McClintock; 7) Freeman; 8) Lee; 9) Watson; 10) Carriker; 11) Herman; 12) Lance, Jr.; 13) Hartnett

Sportsmen:

1st heat: Bubb Mitchell

2nd heat: Paul Jones

Feature: 1) Bubb Mitchell; 2) Terry Chester; 3) Sam Kizer; 4) Rick Squires; 5) Keith Petty; 6) Ron Petty; 7) Tim Jordan; 8) Bert Jacoby; 9) Jones; 10) Pat Chalmers; 11) Tony Walker; 12) Bill Ernst

Street Stocks:

1st heat: Matt Wright

2nd heat: Robbie Benson

Feature: 1) Robbie Benson; 2) David Parker; 3) Ken Johnson, Jr.; 4) Rick Huebner, Sr.; 5) Casey Govero; 6) Jim Laughlin; 7) Billy Liebe; 8) Tim Pierce; 9) Wright; 10) Steve Lee

Modifieds:

1st heat: B.J. Seets

2nd heat: Joe Dresch

Feature: 1) Steve Meyer, Jr.; 2) Dresch; 3) John Stanton; 4) Ricky Huebner; 5) Bob Stanton; 6) Andy Anderson; 7) Wess Weinman; 8) Rich Norden; 9) Greg Wade; 10) Sean Choate

Hornets:

1st Buzz: Ralph Bradford

2nd Buzz: Josh Porch

Swarm: 1) Josh Porch; 2) Todd Erickson; 3) Bradford;

4) Robert Crawford, Jr.; 5) Jake Robbins; 6) Dan Wait; 7) Alan Moran; 8) Brian Crawford; 9) Ken Bell; 10) Gary Price

www.tricitymotorsports.com

Back