SSFS: A visit with Steve Potter - Defending Third National Bank Modified Champion

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Clint Brown
Each year drivers start the year with high hopes. To some getting a win meets the goals that they set. To others a championship is what they are after. With tight fields and tough competition a win can be tough to achieve let alone a championship. Several factors play into the equation, but with a little luck and determination those goals can be met. Recently, we were able to sit down and talk to the defending Third National Bank Modified Champion - Steve Potter and discuss his racing career, family, and what it was like to get that first championship.
SSFS: I know you've been racing for several years, but give us a little background on your racing history. How long have you been running and in what class(es)?

SP: I started racing modifieds in 1985 at I-70 Speedway. Then in 1987 I moved up to Late Models where I ran at Capital Speedway and Quincy Raceway. I ran until 1992 and the high cost of a race team and baby forced us to set out for several years. In 1997 we started racing Late Models again until several blown motors forced us to move back to the modified where we are today.

SSFS: What made you decide to run a modified instead of a sprint car like your brother Rusty?

SP: I like the sprints but if I had my choice I would be in a late model. They are my favorite. Still waiting on that BIG sponsor to put me back in one.

SSFS: You're family is such a big supporter of your racing, tell us a little about them.

SP: I met my wife, Stephanie, at the race track which just happened to be SSFS in 1989 even though she's from Illinois. We've been married for 13 years and have three daughters Shelbi, Sheridan & Shayann. They all have the same love for racing and hope to get to take over for Dad someday. My mom and dad, Bob and Beverly, hardly ever miss a race, especially this past year with Curt and I running so close. Dad splits his time at the track between our cars.

SSFS: You've been running for several years, are there any that stick out in your mind as some of your better ones?

SP: This past year winning the championship.

SSFS: You've been close before, but what was it like to get that first championship last year at the Historic 1/2 Mile?

SP: It was awesome!

SSFS: There are so many talented drivers in the modifieds. Are there any of the drivers that motivate you to run a little harder when you're around them?

SP: My brother Curt, Rick Kimberling and Chad Lyle are just a few.

SSFS: Several drivers have gone to new equipment this year. Are you doing the same or will you be back with the same car as last year?

SP: Almost everything is the same as last year. Just a little different paint scheme.

SSFS: It's always great to get that championship and hold off the challenges of the other drivers, but what was it like holding off your brother for the championship last season?

SP: COOL! I enjoy running close with Curt. He's won two track championships and has never finished outside the top 3 at SSFS. So if you can out run him, you can say you out run one of the best at the track.

SSFS: The competition level has stepped up another notch for this year. With that in mind what do you think your chances of repeating as champion are this season?

SP: I'm sure it will be tough but we're praying for another awesome year.

SSFS: Over the past 10-15 years a lot of changes have come about in racing. What are some of the biggest changes you have seen?

SP: It takes more and more money each year. Cars are becoming more high tech each year.

SSFS: It does take a good amount of money to run up front and that's where the sponsors come in. Today they are more of a necessity than ever before, who are some of them that you have? Any new ones for this year?

SP: KT Comm Programming, Troy Thurman Development & Construction, Potter Trucking are our current sponsors and we're hoping to pick up a few more for this year. Open Bible Praise Center and Jeff Rabon/Fast Track Ministries keep us covered in prayer.

SSFS: There's a lot of tracks in the area and I'm sure you've run on most of them. What is your favorite track that you have ever run on?

SP: Sedalia State Fair Speedway and I-70 Speedway when it was dirt.

SSFS: How many more years do you think you'll drive?

SP: Depends on the sponsors but I'm sure I have a few more years left in me.

SSFS: Last year you won the championship without winning a race showing that consistency pays off in the end, do you think you can get that victory this year?

SP: Yes, more than one I hope.

SSFS: Did the championship mean any more or less because you were able to do it without a win?

SP: It was great to do it without a win but that win would have been so sweet. It just makes us that much more determined to get that win this year.

SSFS: Several changes have been made at SSFS over the last couple of seasons. Give us your thoughts on some of those changes.

SP: The change in management has been great. It has become such a fan friendly track and they really seem to care about the drivers. It's great to see the change in track promotions.

SSFS: Anything else you'd like to add or anybody you'd like to thank?

SP: I'd like to thank David, Russell and the entire staff at SSFS for doing such an outstanding job. If anyone is looking to put together a late model team...I'm their man!

Back