Start rules

openwheel

Taken from the published rules: "If you are on the front row of a line up and you jump the start, the yellow flag will come out and entire front row will be moved to the back of the field and both cars will be charged with one yellow."

Punish BOTH cars if 1 jumps the start?? What's wrong with punishing just the offender? It's not hard to see where each front row car takes off.

This is not right!!

Here's the start/restart rule

Here's the complete rule:

Initial start shall be at the orange pylons in turn 4. The front row may begin accelerating once their front wheels have passed the first pylon. The remainder of the field may pass cars once the front row has passed the first pylon. If you pass before the front row passes the cone, the yellow flag will come out. You will be moved to the rear of the field and will be charged with one yellow. In addition, all cars must remain NOSE TO TAIL. If you get out of line, the yellow will come out . You will be moved to the rear of the field and be charged with one yellow, if it is your second yellow you will be sent to the pits.

If you are on the front row of a line up and you jump the start, the yellow flag will come out and entire front row will be moved to the back of the field and both cars will be charged with one yellow.

To explain further...there will be two pylons set up in turn four x number of feet apart..the front row has to stay together until they reach the FIRST pylon, after that, the race is on!

In addition, all called back starts will be left up to the man with the flags, he has the power to let it go or call it back. Obviously, if someone misses a shift or their car dies, he will not move the row back BUT if someone is deliberately dogging the start, the whole row will move. ALL cars must remain nose to tail, if someone jumps out high on the outside, the yellow will come out and that car will be sent to the back.

Hopefully, this rule will prevent jumping on the starts and again the decisions on calling the starts back will be up to the man with the flags in his hand.

Thanks for your input!

Quote: "...BUT if someone is deliberately dogging the start, the whole row will move."

Again I ask why is the car who is obeying the rules going to be penalized for what the other car does? It's difficult to earn a front row starting spot for a feature. To have it taken away because the other car won't follow the rules is not fair at all.

Originally posted by openwheel
Quote: "...BUT if someone is deliberately dogging the start, the whole row will move."

Again I ask why is the car who is obeying the rules going to be penalized for what the other car does? It's difficult to earn a front row starting spot for a feature. To have it taken away because the other car won't follow the rules is not fair at all.

I belive this is how it is at most tracks if the front row can't get it right twice in a row then it is time for the second row to try...

openwheel....

We'll remeber who screwed us when we get put out back where the officials aren't looking.....LOL

It really isn't a bad rule. I questioned it at first, but it does make good since, and again if some jerk can't figure out how to accelerate while inside the box formed by those two lines--then he'll probably get educated by the guy who he was jumping, cause they'll both be on the back. Those two lines will give an ample starting area, without worrying about having to start in turn three because the jerk next to you wants to jump you on the start while you're there.

It could be worse, we could have a standing start on the front-straight.......:D

I understand that it's the rule but I still don't agree with it.. I also understand what you say about getting educated. But, why won't the track discipline the "jerk who can't figure out how to accelerate while inside the box formed by those two lines" as you correctly put it? Why leave it up to the racers to take care of? Now you have 2 guys on the back who are mad and 1 of them did nothing wrong. All that does it cause problems between racers. If the track thinks the infraction was bad enough to call back and penalize someone for, how hard can it be to penalize only the one who broke the rules?? It's just an easy why out for the track.

I know the rule won't be changed, I just wanted to express disagreement over it. End of story.

I still wouldn't be offended if it were changed! I still dislike it enough to disagree with it as well. If I'm on the pole, I set the pace and if we're supposed to start in turn 4, then that is where we will start. If Me or the car next to me screws it up, it should be given a 2nd chance. If it happens again, THEN they should move us to the next row OR to the back.

I just understand them taking "the easy way out" to make sure that it's a fair start for all involved. I won't be as concerned at getting the pole postion with this format since it doesn't matter who is setting the pace.....and there will be lots of room on the outside;)

Back