Taylor tops Dakota Tour opener, record 81 entries at Mandan

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Taylor tops record field on opening night for Big Dog Dakota Classic Modified Tour
MANDAN, N.D. (July 11) – Opening night honors on a record-setting night for the Big Dog Chassis Dakota Classic Modified Tour went to a veteran driver seeing his series career first action.
Jeff Taylor topped Sunday’s $1,200 to win feature for IMCA Modifieds at Dacotah Speedway. A series record 81 cars, representing 10 states and two Canadian provinces, were on hand for the first of six tour events this week.
“It was a real good race track. You could race high, low or in the middle,” said Taylor, who started ninth after winning his “B” race. “We kind of ran a little bit everywhere, then went to the high side when we got the lead.”
The Arkansas traveler looked to pull away from the rest of the field and put the race away, but a caution with four to go bunched everyone back up.
“I was wishing it was a 25-lap race. We had a pretty good lead then,” Taylor said. “It was pretty close there at the end, almost like you could have thrown a blanket over the top four cars.”
Brothers Matt and Will Brack, and Mark Elliott joined Taylor in the tightknit top four. Sean Jerovetz ran fifth. Defending champion Jay Noteboom also got in through his “B” and ended in 12th.
“I’m at the point now with my business where I can follow this series,” said Taylor, who builds chassis and welcomed the chance to try out a variety of setups at different tracks. “It’s neat that you can race every night for a week and be able to make changes from one night to the next instead of having to wait a week or two to do it.”
“I like being able to come up here and race against guys like Noteboom, Elliottt and the Brack boys,” he added. “I have a lot of respect for them.”
The previous series car count record was 70, established at last year’s opening event at Nodak Speedway.
Steven Pfeifer topped Sunday’s $500 to win main event in the Dakota Track Side Classic Series, becoming the third different winner in as many IMCA Sunoco Stock Car tour events.
Both series are at Estevan, Sask., Motor Speedway on Monday.

Feature Results
Modifieds – 1. Jeff Taylor, Cave City, Ark.; 2. Matt Brack, Mead, Colo.; 3. Will Brack, Mead, Colo.; 4. Mark Elliott, Webster City, Iowa; 5. Sean Jerovetz, Sobieski, Wis.; 6. Marlyn Seidler, Underwood; 7. Brandon Gem¬mill, Enid, Okla.; 8. Steven Pfeifer, Minot; 9. Hank Berry, Sidney, Mont.; 10. Brian Mullen, Seymour, Wis.; 11. Troy Gemmill, Ponca City, Okla.; 12. Jay Noteboom, Hinton, Iowa; 13. Nathan Speten, Wilton; 14. Wayne Brooks, Bald Knob, Ark.; 15. Drew Christiansen, Minot; 16. Tyson Turnbull, Estevan, Sask.; 17. Wayne John¬son, Minot; 18. David Karst, Mills, Wyo.; 19. Allen Kent, Minot; 20. Brad Boyer, Monument, Colo.; 21. Mark Dahl, Bismarck; 22. Shawn Strand, Bismarck; 23. Pete Bradley, Williston; 24. Tony Leiker, Gillette, Wyo.
Heat winners were Speten, Strand, Matt Brack, Elliott, Jerovetz, Will Brack, Christiansen and Brendon Gem¬mill.
1st “B” feature (top four) – 1. Taylor; 2. Pfeifer; 3. Troy Gemmill; 4. Mullen. 2nd “B” feature – 1. Seidler; 2. Berry; 3. Johnson; 4. Leiker. 3rd “B” feature – 1. Karst; 2. Turnbull; 3. Bradley; 4. Boyer. 4th “B” feature – 1. Dahl; 2. Kent; 3. Noteboom; 4. Brooks.

Stock Cars – 1. Steven Pfeifer, Minot; 2. Shawn Havel, Algoma, Wis.; 3. Randy Brands, Boyden, Iowa; 4. Dustin Hoffert, Underwood; 5. Kelly Henderson, Minot; 6. Bob Fuegmann, Minot; 7. Joe Flory, Williston; 8. Randy Conway, Minot; 9. Matt Lang, Turtle Lake; 10. Chad Strechen, Minot; 11. Rob Stenvold, Surrey; 12. Jason Kniffen, Minot; 13. Tony Kniffen, Minot; 14. Dennis Losing, Williston; 15. Justin Striefel, Burlington; 16. Mike Swallers, Minot; 17. Nathan Burke, Minot.
Heat winners were Henderson and Havel.

Back