The American Flag....how Can You Say "thank You"

dirtman07

quit yer belly akin
I ENJOYED READING THIS VERY MUCH, THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY IT ALSO. SPECIAL THANKS TO 4M.NET FOR THIS.................

The DAV handed this flyer out at the KC 100 last week and I liked it so much that I wanted to share it with ALL of you.

REMEMBER ME ? (picture of an American Flag at top of page)

Some people call me old glory,others call me The Star Spangled Banner,but whatever they call me,I AM YOUR FLAG,the flag of the United States of America...something has been bothering me,so I thought I might talk it over with you...because it IS about you and me.

I remembered some time ago people lined up on both sides of the street to watch the parade,and naturally,I was leading every parade,proudly waving in the breeze.When your father saw me coming he immediatley removed his hat and placed it against his left shoulder so that his hand was directly over his heart...REMEMBER ?

What happened ? I'm still the same old flag.Oh,I have a few more stars since you were a boy. A LOT more blood has been shed since those parades of long ago.

But now I don't feel as proud as I used to.When I come down your street you just stand there with your hands in your pockets and I may get a small glance and then you look away. Then I see children running around and shouting...they don't seem to know who I am..I saw one man take his hat off and then look around. He didn't see anybody else with theirs off so he quickly put his back on.

Is it a sin to be patriotic any more ? Have you forgotten what I stand for and where I've been ?...Anzio,Guadalcanal,Korea,Vietnam. Take a look at the Memorial HONOR Rolls sometime,of those who NEVER came back to keep this Republic FREE...one nation under GOD...when you salute me,you are actually saluting them !

Well,it won't be long until I'll be coming down your street again.So,when you see me,stand up straight,place your right hand over your heart...and I'll salute you by waving back...and I'll know...YOU REMEMBERED !

This was writin by someone long ago but it obviuosly still apply's !!!!

God Bless those protecting our freedom now and peace to those that have givin' the ULTIMATE sacrafice.If it weren't for them,who knows we may not be allowed to go to the races FREELY and enjoy ourselves !

I hope you enjoyed reading that as much as I did,and its unfortunate that all of it is true.

Special thanks to :

AMVETS POST #4
P.O.BOX 136
317 East Main street
Chillicothe,Ohio 45601

They are the ones who handed out this flyer.

Thank You for sharing that DC,That is the best thing I have read in a long while.Makes ya stop and realize just how lucky we are.

My sister in-law is over in Iraq rite now.She has been there since May.....she is not due home till sometime next year.I wear an Army pin every nite I race just to remind me how its people like her that have givin me(all of us) the freedom to do what we love.

Thanx again DC...............

Rick Squires

Maybe it'd do better to thank an aging vet in person than a symbol of what they've done. There is getting to be alot of WWII vets in nursing homes right now that'd probably love some company....

Yesterday we had our POW/MIA day observance here at the base and each year the crowd gets smaller and smaller. However, this should make no difference, our committee members all agreed that even if it was one former POW or a family member of an MIA person that showed up we would still go onward with our festivities. It is both joyous and sad to see these people every year for our day of observance but then on the other hand we must never forget their contributions to our way of life here in the states.

Enjoy the races wherever you go tonight. Wish I could be at Pevely but I'm not drivin' up that way again. I think I'm going to the memorial race out here in Adrian, MO, hopefully they'll be some good Late Model action.

Good luck, Moyer, Babb, M. Faust, Martin and Dixon, wherever it is you all race this weekend.

I assume those who take pride in saluting the flag also are doing their part on the home front to help keep our nation great:

•_becoming educated on national and international issues and making informed decisions in elections
•_helping our communities through litter clean-up and recycling programs
•_participating in our children's educational process and becoming involved in the schools
•_donating time and/or money to charitable organizations that help the less fortunate in our hometowns
•_adhering to active and healthy lifestyles to help control today's soaring health and medical costs

Those are the freedoms our veterans fought for.

It is really sad that people have no pride in their heritage that they can so easily disrespect the flag which is a symbol of our freedom that so many have suffered and died to protect for you(you being any bum who is too lazy or ignorant to respect the flag). I am proud to be an American where diversity and independence are a right. My father went to Korea to fight for that right and my uncle left his blood on Vietnimese soil for all of us to have that right. I'm really sorry that not everyone has enough sense to be a patriot. Hopefully America will wake up before these rights are stripped away like our children's right to pledge allegience to our flag. Sorry about the tirade this is a very sad situation.

Originally posted by Jamie Hall
I assume those who take pride in saluting the flag also are doing their part on the home front to help keep our nation great:

•_becoming educated on national and international issues and making informed decisions in elections
•_helping our communities through litter clean-up and recycling programs
•_participating in our children's educational process and becoming involved in the schools
•_donating time and/or money to charitable organizations that help the less fortunate in our hometowns
•_adhering to active and healthy lifestyles to help control today's soaring health and medical costs

Those are the freedoms our veterans fought for.

You are so right...it's one thing to wave a flag a couple days a year and yell "USA" at the right time during a sporting event, but if you REALLY want to take advantage of the freedoms given to you by our servicemen and -women, you make sure your elected officials know who you are and that you are active in making your community, your country, your world a better place. As a veteran and VFW member, I do my best to do these things so my kids live in a better world than the one we have now...

Thank you for that article.. I agree with all it said. I hope others read and understand it.
I also agree with everyone doing there part in our every day lives.

thanks for sharing the article again..
makes one stop and think..and appreciate what we have.

I POSTED THIS IN HOPES PEOPLE WOULD READ THIS AND BE REMINDED EVERYDAY JUST HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY. I MYSELF HAVE FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND LOVED ONES WHO ARE SERVING ABROAD AS WE SPEAK. I WAKE UP EVERYDAY WITH THEM IN MY THOUGHTS. I LOOK AT MY SON AND WONDER WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF WE "DIDN'T" LIVE IN THE COUNTRY. HOW WOULD MY LIFE BE??? I SERVED IN THE FIRST GULF WAR, AND LIKE MOST FOLKS WHO HAVE SERVED FIGHTING FOR THIS COUNTRY, IT GETS MY GOAT WHEN I SEE KIDS RUNNING AROUND AT THE RACE TRACK AND MEN AND WOMEN SO DRUNK, THAT THEY CAN'T EVEN THINK TO STAND UP AND AT LEAST BE PROUD ENOUGH TO STAND FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM. I LOVE THIS COUNTRY AND EVERYTHING WE STAND FOR BUT AM ASHAMED OF THE FEW FOLKS AROUND ME THAT MAKE US LOOK BAD. DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AT I-55 LAST NITE, I ASKED A MAN TO AT LEAST REMOVE HIS CAP LAST NITE AND HE SAID HE HATED THAT SONG AND I SHOULD MIND MY OWN BUSINESS. HARD FOR ME TO SWALLOW. I HAD MY SON WITH ME LAST NITE AND HE ASKED ME WHY THAT GUY WAS BEING MEAN. WHAT DO I SAY TO HIM????? I CAN'T TELL HIM TO MIND HIS OWN BUSINESS. I RAISED MY SON TO BE RESPECTFUL OF THE SONG AND THE THE MEANING OF IT.

MY WHOLE POINT TO THIS IS........FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY, EVEN IF YOUR NOT ABROAD. TEACH YOUR KIDS THE MEANING OF THIS FLAG, SING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM WITH THEM. MAKE THEM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back