Tri-City Speedway Celebrates 25 Years with World of Outlaws

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Steve Birmingham

Granite City, IL—The World of Outlaws – America’s premier Sprint Car Series—is on their 25th Anniversary Tour in 2003. Tri-City Speedway, in Granite City is proud to share in that milestone on Sunday, June 22, having hosted their first event May 23, 1979. That inaugural race was a won by a 23-year-old named Steve Kinser who has become the namesake of the World of Outlaws.

The King of the Outlaws has won 480 main events to date and 17 World of Outlaws Championship titles, including last year. Steve is the winningest driver in Tri-City Speedway history. He has won 22 of the 45 World of Outlaw feature events at one of the fastest tracks in the series.

“Tri-City Speedway has always been good to me and a win there gets me to focus on the tough schedule ahead,” says Steve Kinser.

Steve’s 18-year-old son, Kraig, will run as a teammate this year and is the third generation of Kinsers preceded by grandfather Bob Kinser and dad Steve.

An expected field of over 30 World of Outlaw teams include 2001 Champion and current points leader Danny Lasoski; veteran and former eight-time winner at Tri-City Speedway Sammy Swindell; Joey Saldana; Donnie Schatz and Jeff Sheppard. Mark Kinser is the current track record holder at 15.917 on the blistering fast ½ mile, Saturday, June 16, 1999.

Reserved seats for the only Outlaws appearance – Sunday, June 22 – are on sale now. Tickets are $32.00 and can be purchased by calling RaceLine at (636) 947-7287 or RaceTix at (314) 469-9666. MasterCard and Visa are accepted. General Admission will be sold day of show.

Gates Open: 4 p.m. Time Trials: 7 p.m. Racing: 8 p.m.

Tri-City Speedway is located one-half mile south of I-270 on Illinois Route 203 south (exit 4) near Granite City, Il.

Back