Wanna Who's?????

BIGDON

Proud Pro 4 Stocker
ITS PRETTY DISAPPOINTING WHEN YOU BUILD A CAR, TAKE ALL THE GREIF FROM YOUR WIFE FOR NOT SPENDING ENOUGH TIME WITH HER, THEN GO TO THE TRACK, WIN YOUR HEAT, THEN SIT IN STAGING FOR TEN MINUTES SWEATING YOUR BUT OFF ONLY TO BE TOLD GO BACK TO YOUR PIT AREA SO THE BIG GUYS CAN RACE BEFORE THE RAIN, AND THEN TO TOP THAT OFF THE NEXT EIGHT LAPS TAKEN ON THE TRACK WAS A SPRINT CAR (WHO WAS THAT?)
AND A LATE MODEL WHO SHOWED UP LATE FOR HOT LAPS. TOLD US IF IT DON'T RAIN WE RUN LAST FEATURE. THATS VERY GENEROUS OF YOU GUYS BUT THINK ABOUT IT, OUR LITTLE CARS HAVE NO BUSINESS ON THAT TRACK AFTER A LATE MODEL FEATURE MUCH LESS AFTER ALL OF THE OTHERS TOO. I KNOW THE PROMOTERS FEEL THAT EVERYONE COMES TO SEE THE BIG BOYS RACE BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT OUR WHOPPING 8 LAP FEATURE DON'T TAKE UP THAT MUCH TIME. A LITTLE QUICK MATH:
AVERAGE OF 18 CARS PER NIGHT = $414.00 FOR DRIVERS MOST COME WITH SOMEBODY IN THEIR PIT AVERAGE 1 PERSON PER CAR= $414.00 FIGURE 1 TRACK BURGER PER PERSON AND A SODA=162.00. AND MORE THAN LIKELY SOMEBODY IN THE STANDS CAME TO WATCH US= A TOTAL OF $990.00 AS A BARE MINIMUM FOR A REGULAR SHOW. I KNOW IT COSTS MONEY FOR INSURANCE, OFFICIALS AND WHATNOT BUT WE DON'T PAY ANY LESS THAT ANYBODY ELSE DOWN THERE AND OUR CARS HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME SAFTEY FEATURES SO WHATS UP WITH NO PURSE AND NO PLACE?

Guess where your money is going Big Don? You got it-The big cars and big owners are taking your money.Unfortunately,you must be talking about Pevely. If you are,isn't it a coincidence that the big money track pays nothing to a class of cars that bring in a couple of grand a night. I am sure they will tell you that isn't that much.If wannabees bring in 18-20 cars and another class brings in 18-20 cars,guess who is getting all the money?
I don't know where you live or how far you are willing to travel,but check out some other tracks. I race on Friday nights and as long as we get 16+ cars we race for 100 dollars for a feature.Win a heat and get a free pit pass.Not bad for a class that gets nothing at Pevely.I know on the Illinois side of the river,some of the promoters are figuring out that if you pay the little guys a little money,you might more little guys and therefore more money. If it is not too far,check out Fayette County Speedway in Brownstown,Illinois.I know it is a drive for some of the Missouri guys but check around. All of August,Fayette is paying the Hornets 200 to win.Not bad for a bunch of little guys.

I own a wanna be and they said we wouldn't be racing this weekend because of the Shop and Save race. Look we paid are dues just like the big guys and we should have the same respect as they do. If you look at the schedule for I-55 for this weekend we are schedule to race it's supposed to be a regular night of racing. What's wrong with this picture? We should all show up and tell them that we're racing since the schedule to race and see what they say!

why don't you guys come down to frederick town this weekend and watch us RAMS come in the pitts and talk to us I think you will really be surprised on how we are treated and how well we get along I'm the #66 pimto its SMURFBLUE with a white stripe come by and I will intoduce you all to the RAMS

we get paid like the rest of the classes real good for a 4cycl class.

hey bluesmurf

I need a ride in a ministock, hook me up till I get mine done. Im taking it t have a different cage in it tomorrow, after looking the one it over realy good not real safe, the welding isnt the best, and I think all the wannabeezz should build Ministocks over the winter just think the car count the Rams would have.

go anyway?

thanks for the come back folks, its nice to know that somebody out there hears and cares. no hotrod mamma i'm afraid that showing up anyway would be a bigger waste of time than our usual. the night we got rained out, pat , homer and i went and talked to ralph he had said at first that we would probably get to race this saturday anyway and maybe have a double feature. after the rain i talked to ralph again and he said it couldn't happen, that save-a-lot didn't want us down there that night period. so i guess that says it all. please mr save a lot, can we please race at our home track? we don't expect any (god forbid)
prize money but can't we just race anyway? you won't even have to buy a ten dollar trophy we just want to race. i've had a car since this thing started last year. they said last year they wanted to see how this class took off before we would get a purse. well it seems to me that it has taken off rather well so ah hello, we're still waiting. this class is liable to take off and go to another track, what do i have to do to turn my car into a ram?

BIGDON

the main diffrence I think is That the Rams or rear wheel drive only and no fuel injection, If you cn change it o a ram or build on over the winter, All the Ram guys are great!!!!!!!!!!

Re: go anyway?

Originally posted by BIGDON
what do i have to do to turn my car into a ram?

tighten the lose nut behind the wheel:D :eek: :D

go to the rams section on here there is a link to our rules are you guys coming down next week?????? come on down this week we race this friday and sunday we will glady tell you anything you need to know!

Re: hey bluesmurf

Originally posted by Rob & Cindy
I need a ride in a ministock, hook me up till I get mine done. Im taking it t have a different cage in it tomorrow, after looking the one it over realy good not real safe, the welding isnt the best, and I think all the wannabeezz should build Ministocks over the winter just think the car count the Rams would have.

man if I could I would I am in a loaner car or shall I say I'm a fill in driver :eek: :eek: :eek:

Because of the position I'm in I have the luxury of seeing things from both sides of the plate.

From the promoters side: When you built a Wannabee you knew exactly what you were getting into. You were racing for a trophy and just to "gain experience behind the wheel." The class is designed to allow people to race without investing a ton of money. That is why they have those stupid claim rules.

From the racers side: First, change the damn name of the class.. Wannabee is demeaning to everyone who races in the class. The racers pay the EXACT PIT PASS PRICE as a late model, sprint car or modified driver but NEVER get anywhere near the same amount of respect.

From the promoters side: The Wannabee class is NECESSARY to help pay for the huge payouts for the late models and other special payouts.

From the racers side: Sure it's very important just to have a place to race, but every class has to receive the same consideration.

Listen, when we first started the RAMS, we were called "mini junk" and "hamburger class," that kind of crap. Well, now the racing community looks at us as a regular part of the racing community and not some sideshow. The four-cylinder classes are an extremely valuable commodity now because they are affordable, yet they put people into the seats and bring people into the pits. The end result is an extremely positive bottom line to the promoter, who in turn looks and works very favorable with the racers involved.

I agree with Smurf, if you folks want to race affordably, but at the same time be treated with more respect, the RAMS are an excellent group to get involved with.. Another idea would be go together as a group and speak with the promoter at your track. All the ones I know of in this area are very easy to work with and talk to as long as you approach them in a civil manner. I've worked with Ray up at I-55 for a number of years and he's always been a great guy to work with. Just don't attack him!

track classes

hey millsey,
i agree with your post 100% we did know that ours was a class that would not bring any money and that doesn't neccesarily matter to me. i have built my second car and fortunately i have a sponsor who was nice enough to give me the car and any parts i need from the salvage yard if not for that i couldn't afford it at all.
and yes i do find that name to be demeaning i can see some truth to the idea that we wanna be racers but to have that made public is another thing. i had considered painting my car to look like a bee but just couldn't bring myself to do that. wish they would change the name. i have given the idea of changing to a ram but my car is fuel injected with a dual ignition system and it works so well that i can't see fixing something that isn't broke. i try not to come off sounding like a hot head nor like some cry baby i just don't know where to go to voice my opinion without being taken the wrong way. i would indeed like to speak to ray and no i would not attack him that would not be dignified and would get me nowhere. i try to conduct myself in a professional manner that befits my education. my brothers and i have been down at that track since it was a drag strip, in our little group we have four wanna bees two modifieds and a sportsman. we all like that track and want to continue running there, we don't expect equal billing to late models but it would be nice to be treated with a little more decency. i would like the opportunity to meet with ray if that were possible and perhaps disscuss some ideas that i believe would benefit the track and the drivers. can you tell me how to go about setting up some thing with him?

thanks

Re: track classes

Just walk up to him and talk. He ain't gonna turn ya away, unless he's in the middle of something.

about Ray

Ive talked to Ray about the class at one point, and he told me if I didnt like the way they ran it then move up, Well I have had a sportsman and a mod. and Ill be the first to say I cant afford either of them, But I thought the wannabeez would be a way to stay in racing. Also I broke the car once in a heat race and I asked If I could get a free pit pass since I couldnt make the feature I was told NO and thats the way it is, And that isnt right if yopu dont make the show in any other class you get one, and we pay the same pit money, Well Ive decided its time to go run with the Rams a caring group racers and If I was any of you wannabeez drivers Id do the same over the winter

I think the general attitude among officials and promoters is that they want you to come out and have fun for very little expense, but by the same token, since it is such cheap racing, they dont want any hassle with you either. I mean, the motor for any other class costs more than I have spent in total racing a hornet, so I cant really complain now, can I? As far as the cost of a pit pass, well, a lot of people buy pit passes just to walk aroung the pits during a nights racing, that doesnt mean the promoter has to pay any attention to them either. I think the more money you have invested in your actual racing operation, the more seriously your taken, not the amount of money you throw in the purse at the gate. I dont necessarily agree with that, but I think thats how it works.

Sponsors

Well sponsorship also plays a very important part in the game we're playing.... I've got 12 different sponsors on my car and not one pays more than $500, most are $200.... People are more willing to work with you if you are affordable.... BUT, when you get that sponsor TREAT THEM RIGHT!! Get them photos, keep them up to date on your car and most importantly DON'T EVER STIFF A SPONSOR!!!

hey millsey the night i got hurt my sponsor gave us 700 two hours later i broke my neck thats why i wanna come back this year ! they are very important to me . with all the people on the side of our car its about 2300 a year! and all these people say we race for free ! maaco pays 50 bucks every week entry fee i race for free !

sponsors

my wife is my sponser, shes the greatest, well I also have the wonderfull E & J auto salvage he gets me what ever I need. Hey Jeff did u say u knowsomeone that mightneed some vega wagon parts? Also Jeff build a Ram for next year.

Back