What's Up With Montgomery Speedway?

cchkrflg

We are dedicated race fans at Montgomery County Speedway but the inconsistency in the rules is starting to be a little annoying. There seems to be some favortism going on, especially with racers that are related to the owners. How many laps do we usually wait for a racer to get back out on the track? It seems to change depending on the car!! Also one week if a car has trouble on time trials it just gets a bad time, but a couple of weeks ago a car got to do it over. I have been hearing a lot of talk about racers that are thinking about or have already left this track because of these problems. Mel you need to wake up or you will loose the racers which in return will loose the crowd!!!!!:mad:

We Quit Racing There A Long Time Ago Because Of Goofy Stuff Like That Three Weeks In A Row They Were Saying We Were So Many Laps Down And We Were Not One Lap Down When Brought To Mels Attention He Said Well I'll Watch Next Week Yeah Mel Then People Were Tired Of Haulin Too Many Miles To Be Screwed Like We Were Now Its Showin Whats Up He'll Take Your Money You Take The Screwin

That kind-a hokey business is why I left ANOTHER track and went to MSC. I’ve always felt the race program is run in a fair manner there.

Keep in mind, when humans make judgment calls they will not always be right. I’ve been involved in calls on the track and I didn’t believe the calls were correct… But ya know what, when the calls were not in my favor, I’ve always felt I could go to Mel or another official and they would be willing to explain the reasoning behind it, and in a few cases , some of the those calls worked out in my favor.

Cchkrflg, I’ve been to the place you are describing… but it wasn’t MCS.

I hate to see things going this direction for this track. There seems to be a lot more problems there this year than in the past and now the drivers are racing elsewhere. This is a great little track and very entertaining, I hope things come back together fast. One thing I can say and I don't agree with it though, I don't care where you go there is going to be favoritism and drivers that are ticked off. That too is part of racing.

I was going to stay out of it, but I felt the desire to speak....

PURSE! Plain and simple they do not pay consistant, they (promotor/owners) do not have to please fans and divers, I heard the words myself. If you don't like the way they do things, then leave and don't come back. Well I have not been back and wont unless things change.

The UMP Late Model Payout is suppose to be $1,000 to the winner no matter how many cars you have, well that is not how they do things at MCS. The website says they pay $750 if they have 14 or less cars and $1,000 if they have 15 or more cars but I don't think they always pay $750 either. I know for a fact that UMP says you must pay $1,000 to win minimum for the UMP Late Models. I am confused on how they are allowed to do this and why no one has complained to UMP.

Also I was out there on the Sunday before Memorial Day and a B-Mod did not weigh (I knwo the B-Mod is not UMP sanctioned, but if they do it for the B-Mod's who's to say they don't do it for the other classes either) after his heat race and was given the win anyway. At the drivers meeting it was said the top so many in each class (sorry I don't remember the exact number but I want to say 3) must weigh and winning is in the top 3. I wonder if it had anything to do with the Chasis he was driving? So favortism has another thing to do with it.

They should run the track on a Sunday afternoon (as there is no UMP Sanctioned track running a Late Model show on Sunday's) with a start time around 4:30 p.m. (qualifying) and they would get done at a decent hour so the drivers who came a distance could still get home and go to work Monday morning. And start showing the drivers and fans some respect. They would have more cars (as the cars not getting good points on Friday and Saturday are going to show up), and the fan base would not be bad either. If the track was "suppose" to replace St. Charles Speedway then the track should run on Sunday like St. Charles Speedway did.

They are competing right now with Highland Speedway, Mt Vernon Speedway and I-55 Raceway on Saturday night who all pay a minimum of $1,000 to win and it is a no win situation.

Thanks for reading my opinion, I know already many of you will bash me for stating my opinion but I felt it needed to be said. Thanks-Danny

That was a damn good reply! :) I'm getting tired of people saying that MCS should drop the late models. They should just run on sundays.

I have raced for many years and I have come to find out that EVERY track is going to so favoritism in one way or another. I am not saying it is right by any means, however, it does happen. And this is the reason many drivers and spectators do leave tracks and dont return. I go to MCS quite often and I have to say I havent seen a lot of favoritsm..some yes but I have seen a lot worse.

Hey Jeepfan were did you get the info that UMP dictates what payout should be? Other then the Summer Nationals and maybe CoC i can find nothing that shows payouts from UMP? Can you post this information you have. Paul Brandon mentioned but never answered the same question?

theres a lot of tracks that show favotism and there is nothin u can do about it cant cheat the officals as far as the purse they should pay what they say thats way the car counts and the fans in the stands are not there like they should be :D

Track Jeff

Did I see where you had your car out Sat night? If so where did you race and is it really like getting on a bike again you never forget?

I Think Mel Does A Great Job With His Track! If I Had My Choice Of Where I Ran I'd Be There Every Weekend.i've Been Traveling Around Now And I Can Tell Ya Mcs Has It Together Compared To Some Of The Places Iv'e Been.i Also Don't Understand Why People Act Like There About To Go Under Because 5 People Post Something Negative About The Track, Things Aren't As Bad As People Make It Out To Be. Car Count Changes From Time To Time So What.i Think Instead Of Bashing Mel And His Family They Should Be Applauded For Bringing A Great Track To Mid Mo. Be Happy That We Have This Track To Complain About!

Lance i dont want you jumping on this positive attitude bandwagon!!!!!!!!
We need the negative *****ing to keep these post going!!!! LMAO

When the Late Models get back to 15-18 cars I will go back. I don't want to pay $12 for 5-9 Late Models. If I was going to do that, I would go to I-70 Speedway, which is alot closer to me than MCS.

MCS will not get a good crowd until it can raise there Late Model car count and they won't be able to do that if they don't change the day of the week they run on. As far as payout I can't believe a Late Model driver would be happy with a $700.00 1st place check.

This was brought up on another thread, but it's still the same - UNFORTUNATELY Late Models are on the endangered species list and it's all due to $$$$$$! Not too many people can afford to build, maintain and continue with a Late Model. This brings down car count and payout both. It's unfortunate to say the least (they happen to be my favorite class), but in all reality, it's seeming that their days are coming to an end. Hopefully, something will happen soon and this will turn around, but all signs point to the diminishing of the class.

Save the Water Buffalo!

3 years ago, people said I was crazy when I pointed out the exact same thing. SPEC Motors, anyone?

smokingjoe & jdearing

Before I made my post I talked to a man at UMP and he is the one who told me that UMP Late Models are to be paid $1,000 no matter how many cars are present. I do not have the man's name with me here at home I left my briefcase at work tonight, but I will get his name for you and post it on here tomorrow. I told him I was making the post about the payout and he said go ahead. So I am sorry if you guys cannot find it in writting or believe me, I do not just make up things for the fun of it. I got my information from UMP direct, so if there is an error than it is not on my part. Thanks-Danny

There is definently favoritism at this track. It's happened to me twice and cost me feature wins both times. !st one was 2 years ago, I was leading feature and on a restart a guy flat took me out, they put me to rear and left this guy keep his spot. 2nd time was last sat.. I started 10, worked my way up to 4th. I passed the 3rd place car, I was ahead of the 3rd place car for 2 laps, I passed the 2nd place car then there was a yellow so I let him have his spot back as it wasn't a complete lap. Well guess what, they gave car car behind me my spot.
Now this car was Dancin Lance Kobush, Mels' farvorite driver. I'm NOT mad at Lance whatsoever, it's not his fault, I would of done the same, but there is definently a problem at this track w/ consistency. After the races I had over 20 people come to me and say I got robbed, so I must have been in the right. I went and talked to Mel and his response was, and I qoute"I didn't see it that way, but you'll get em next week". So why do I keep going back is beyond me other than I have developed friendships and that means alot. Now in the scorers defense, It is the hardest job at a race track bar none, but it needs to be done correctly to avoid problems like this with people leaving cause of it. Cause 1 more time is three & 3 strikes I'm gone too. Thanks for listening to my soapbox.
Kenny Mudd

Back