Who need's another cratemodel thread?

raceboats

I do not understand why someone would want to take a car that is designed for SUPER HIGH PERFORMANCE and tune it down ! Late Models are the highest level of full bodied dirt cars . If you have a limited amount of money find a class you can afford and work your way up . What is wrong with running sportsman ?When I wanted to race boats I was 17 and did not have much money and neither did my parents but I come up with enough to buy a formula light for $5,500 minus motor at that time you could only run a stock 45 hp Evenrude or Johnson(same motor). Found mine at a garage sale and on a john boat on a farm, I had to buy the boat and motor just to get the motor.I drove my a#$ off finishing in the top five in all of my first five races with one win.My 6th race I got my chance to step up to sst 120 when an owner driver got injured at his hotel .I kept my nose clean and finished in the top 10 of 25 boats and the driver/owner stepped aside and I finished the season in his boats and raced for him for three more years . Now its 10 years later and I race in the Super Boat Series were they do have a crate class but it is NOT in the top class of boat its in relatively stock v bottom boat and it is a great class for guys with limited budgets and young teams coming up but they would NEVER EVER attempt to mention something like this to us SUPER CAT guys the FANS ,drivers, owners, and manufacturers would loose everything this proving ground brings.If I did not have the great opportunities open for me I would still be racing in one class of boats or another to be honest I still run the fomula lights its a blast . Run a Crate Sportsman class and lease the motors to the teams.

Who wants to read about boats on an auto racing forum. I personally like to read about differences of opinion and the debate that goes along with it. So if someone wants to try to turn everyone to crate lovers let them go ahead. if you don't like it don't read there thread

modfan have you ever heard of an analogy? I was giving you an example of a successful racing series that had a crate class.

If he wanted to promote himself don't you think he would have mentioned his name ? I think its a good point you need to be open minded .

Hoffner ,I don't have my web site pasted all over this thread just an unbiased opinion from someone who has race at many levels .

Superchicken
Go to the top of the page and read the title to this forum "St. Louis Area AUTO Racing Discussion"

Raceboats
From your statement I took it that you were slamming a guy trying to drum up support for a new class. That to me is the same as slamming the Hornets,Rams,b-mods or any other person trying to expand there class to get more places to race. The point is don't slam a person for trying to make any class more wide spread just because you don't agree with it.

Let them slam all they want in my opinion modfan..when and if this goes down..i can go back..like the b mods at godfrey and say..told ya so. That class will explode..if it can be organized..let them all see

modfan there was no one slamming anyone until you got one here. raceboats was just giving some opinions and examples. there is nothing negative about what he/she pointed out just questioned way you would slow down your most advanced class .It seems like some people are looking for an argument . I don't mind if you try to start a cratemodel series but the spec motor in sportsman could be great starter/budget series. Sealed motors rented or leased would have allot of plus sides less tech,less cost , even power ect,ect.

I would love to see a crate motor late model class. You can buy a used late model as cheap as a sportsman and there are a lot of them. Bring it on and I am in!!!!! Bopper

raceboats said:
I do not understand why someone would want to take a car that is designed for SUPER HIGH PERFORMANCE and tune it down ! Late Models are the highest level of full bodied dirt cars . If you have a limited amount of money find a class you can afford and work your way up . What is wrong with running sportsman ?When I wanted to race boats I was 17 and did not have much money and neither did my parents but I come up with enough to buy a formula light for $5,500 minus motor at that time you could only run a stock 45 hp Evenrude or Johnson(same motor). Found mine at a garage sale and on a john boat on a farm, I had to buy the boat and motor just to get the motor.I drove my a#$ off finishing in the top five in all of my first five races with one win.My 6th race I got my chance to step up to sst 120 when an owner driver got injured at his hotel .I kept my nose clean and finished in the top 10 of 25 boats and the driver/owner stepped aside and I finished the season in his boats and raced for him for three more years . Now its 10 years later and I race in the Super Boat Series were they do have a crate class but it is NOT in the top class of boat its in relatively stock v bottom boat and it is a great class for guys with limited budgets and young teams coming up but they would NEVER EVER attempt to mention something like this to us SUPER CAT guys the FANS ,drivers, owners, and manufacturers would loose everything this proving ground brings.If I did not have the great opportunities open for me I would still be racing in one class of boats or another to be honest I still run the fomula lights its a blast . Run a Crate Sportsman class and lease the motors to the teams.
We are not replacing Super Lates. We merely define Semi-late or Limited Lates. believe me the class needs definition. Anybody that races will tell you there is nothing limited about a Limited anymore. They are $30K steel Super Lates now days. As far as crates, if you think these cars are slow, you are in for a big surprise. We haven't done anything but lower the cost of engines and tires and evened up the playing field. We are just putting a hobby back in a hobby budget. A pleasant by product has been close side by side racing, mutiple winners, and more FUN than most drivers have seen in years. This is just a very FUN and affordable way to be able to race a real race car and not just a car that races. There is a difference.

Doc :cool:

Doc22 said:
We are just putting a hobby back in a hobby budget. A pleasant by product has been close side by side racing, mutiple winners, and more FUN than most drivers have seen in years. This is just a very FUN and affordable way to be able to race a real race car and not just a car that races. There is a difference.

Doc :cool:
I can think of many Hobbies far less expensive than racing a Late Model. I dont get how an activity that can result in money back in your pocket can be classified a Hobby. Softball, bowling, fishing, etc... are hobbies. Racing is a part time job, with lousy hours, and lousy pay, for the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It is not, however, a hobby by any means.

I also take exception to the implication that only guys racing LM's are driving real race cars, and not just a car that races. I did the 4 cylinder thing for two years, believe me, it was real racing, just as real as the bomber car I am in now. It took as much time, effort, and concentration to race that thing as it does to run what I do now. The difference is in performance and driving style, not in the actual racing itself. Both are racing.

Last, I think it is wholly inaccurate to claim that crates are the way to make racing affordable. No, it just makes LM racing a little cheaper, thats all. You can race on a budget in any class, if you want to. Why not run a sportsman car, or a mod, if you can't afford an LM? Those are just some other alternatives that keep you out of cars we race, and in race cars. Ok, maybe the idea is that guys want to be in an LM. Fine. I want a new car, and I wouldn't mind one day having my own plane. But, I gotta go pay for both. What makes racing any different? Sure, we would all love to run LM's, but even with crate motors in them, not everyone can afford them. So, it is all just a little relative now, isn't it?

Would you rather wait untill you can afford a $60,000.00 Super late model or Would you rather wait till you can afford a $10,000.00 Fastrac Procar? There is no comparison to running any late model to a 4 cyl, bomber,sportsman, or even a modified. Having 4 big tires on the ground puts "sack" in how deep you drive it in.

I think the mods are much harder to manage. Same Hp, narrower track, smaller tires. Open wheels are not nearly as forgiving of mistakes as fenders.

Back