Why Aren't There Any USAC Races ?

partsman

It seems odd to me that there are no USAC midget or sprint car races in this area. Ken Schrader and Tony Stewart have a history in USAC. They own enough tracks that they could put together a series of races, why not any USAC races?

why no usac

It's really simple. They are businessmen and need to figure out how to make a buck off their investment. Cost vs. butts in the seats. Usace midgets cost about $30,000 to put on a show vs. I'm guessing about $15K for POWRI. You won't get twice as many paying adults for a USAC race in this area. A USAC race is very risky unless you have an angel who loves USAC at any cost.

there may be a good number of usac fans in the area,but i dont think there are enough to make a show profitable. and without any open wheel dirt programs on a weekly basis around here,having a bigger show is very risky.i dont think id want to front the kind of money it takes to get an outlaw show around here just to lose it due to rain. a promotor has to look out for himself and thats probably why not too many take a chance in that area. ive seen a couple open non winged shows at godfrey and while i liked the races the crowds were kinda thin.

Oskaloosa dropped the Sprint Bandits and took a U.S.A.C sanction this year paying $30,000 to win. Granted Oskaloosa has a captive audience with the Nationals being that week, but the caliber of competition between U.S.A.C. and the Sprint Bandits is like night and day. If none of the U.S.A.C. drivers ran with the non-wing Sprint Bandit organization, they wouldn't have much of a show. Tri-City used to run a U.S.A.C. sprint midget doubleheader, I would think Kevin would be able to answer this question.

You know Wanda............... I now understand why my mom called Joe Shaheen a angel ! St. Louis was lucky he liked to promote races here. Some of my favorite memories are from the days the USAC Midgets came to town. I really enjoy the POWRI shows alot, I'm happy we still have midget races in the St.Louis area.

Usac vs. others

I am happy to see interest in the Midgets coming back into the area. The area shows have been great. USAC interest by promoters comes and goes depending on the "overhead and the attitude". When USAC decides to work with other people you see more of them. I am hearing from other areas that are looking at midget shows that USACs "O & A" is tough right now. In the meantime we are enjoying our local guys--right? Check with a St. Louis Auto Racing Fan Club member for a great members deal for the POWRi Midgets.

wanda is exactly right. ...USAC has had the mind set that they are the oldest, best, etc., and to them, that comes at a price. they run real 'hot and cold' at times whether they want to co-operate with any of the other racing orgs. right now, they are cold. if the money is there, you will have 95% of the usac guys show up at any given race. i gotta believe that there are gonna be most of the absolute top names in the midget and sprint car world show up at tcs for that big show this summer. the "USAC loyalists" are becoming harder and harder to find... case and point; steve lewis and his fleet of "9" cars; 1st time at the chili bowl this winter.

USAC has had the mind set that they are the oldest, best, etc., and to them, that comes at a price. the "USAC loyalists" are becoming harder and harder to find... case and point; steve lewis and his fleet of "9" cars; 1st time at the chili bowl this winter.

I'd argue that USAC Loyalist fans are becoming harder and harder to find, as well. Who comprises this demographic? I'd argue it's guys age 50 or older. As much as it might pain me or anyone else to say it, most of the younger fans--say those under 25--don't give two cents about USAC's glory days in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

The biggest problem to me with USAC is that they're esentially running the same tired race format that they did twenty, thirty or forty years ago. Folks today don't want to see time trials, followed by only 36 drivers getting to run heat races; they want to see 40 or 50 car fields with five or six heat races, and the features lined up by passing points. Make the drivers work for it.

The POWRi or Sprint Bandit formats just lend themselves toward a better show in my opinion.

Great post Wanda and midget racer. I love the USAC series and it is a shame they dont do something to better theirselves. I seen the last USAC race at Godfrey..wingless and it was awesome.

I'd argue that USAC Loyalist fans are becoming harder and harder to find, as well. Who comprises this demographic? I'd argue it's guys age 50 or older. As much as it might pain me or anyone else to say it, most of the younger fans--say those under 25--don't give two cents about USAC's glory days in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

The biggest problem to me with USAC is that they're esentially running the same tired race format that they did twenty, thirty or forty years ago. Folks today don't want to see time trials, followed by only 36 drivers getting to run heat races; they want to see 40 or 50 car fields with five or six heat races, and the features lined up by passing points. Make the drivers work for it.

The POWRi or Sprint Bandit formats just lend themselves toward a better show in my opinion.
kinda like the woo format huh? they seem to do alright:D:D
most people around here don't know the name of the USAC drivers heir shows are great they actuallrace not follow the leader stuff

I don't think the new USAC guys are willing to work with any other midget group to put on a show. I believe they are wanting to stand alone and do everything by themselves. This is not the way for them to restore their name into midget racing because last year Powri led the nation with car count. If you attend Powri races you never know who is going to show up because Hines ran the last race at the indoor series. Also, the big question will be if USAC has a contract with the big team such as TSR and KKR to not show up to other shows such as the 15k to win that Tri City is having.

most people around here don't know the name of the USAC drivers heir shows are great they actuallrace not follow the leader stuff

I think that has far more to do with the lack of wings above the cage than with the placement of USAC decals on the bodywork.

Back